I have been on the birthcontrol pill for a year and I always start my period three days after the end of the three week cycle. Therefore, there is three days out of the month when I am not on my period and not taking the pill. How safe is it to have sex during this time?

You period is one of the safest times to have unprotected sex, in terms of getting pregnant. (Not saying it's 100pct safe, only not having sex at all is fool-proof!) If you're worried about still becoming pregnant while on the pill, an easy way to help you out is figuring out your ovulation cycle and avoiding sex (without condoms) during your days of fertility.

If you're on a 28 day cycle, like I am, and your period starts at the first of the month, then between the 12th and the 17th and would your most fertile days. (While the egg only lives for a short period of time, semen can live for quite a few days awaiting the arrival of the egg).

While on the pill though, you shouldn't worry about it at all. It's designed to work all through the month. Infact, it takes some women several months after stopping the pill to again be able to become pregnant.

My period started on the 18th and i had sex on the 28th. can i be pregnant.