I run a few times a week. Usually a slow 4 miles because no one in the platoon or company can really run that well. I want to get in some long distance runs but I'd like some advice on what kind of a training program to start. I'm thinking 10 miles is what I'd like to get up to. Around a 9 to 8 minute mile pace. So please send any help you can.

The Steve

Edit

I have run 8 miles at an 8 minute mile pace before. I just felt like I was going to die at the end and there was some throwing up. I wanna make it a normal thing though.

My advice: this weekend go 6 miles. Next weekend go 8. The weekend after go 7, followed by 10. Follow that by 8. And you should be able to keep it in the 8 to 10 range. If 8 to 10 is just too tough, do what you can until you can do 7 miles with relative comfort and just keep throwing in some longer runs. But just make sure that every weekend you're going longer than what you're doing in the middle of the week.

I can't help with pace, but if 8 minute pace over 8 miles is too fast right now, go 9:30 and get the distance in.

In my experience increasing distance and accumulating miles will also help your pace. By the time you get to a ten mile weekend run I'm sure you'll find your pace has picked up, too.

If you're doing a long run on the weekend try pushing your pace once a week on your shorter runs. Not throwing-up-afterwards but a bit faster than usual.

And, of course, listen carefully to what your body says.

Also, perhaps try to find a running group in your area. I've logged some high miles from the running group I run with. It also helps pass the time to have someone to run with. :twocents:

Are you running in formation?

I have to run in formations on the weekdays sadly. It kind of holds me back. I do like that making one long run on the weekend though. I think that is a good plan. It's easier for me to have free weekends than week days. I did figure that longer runs would help my 2 mile time. I'm hoping to drop that below 12:30. Thanks for the advice and training plans. I'll try these plans and see how it works out.

The Steve