I know I should have posted this earlier considering that my half's tomorrow. I've been working on coming up with decent splits to run for the race. The ideal situation of course is to negative split it....I plan to run it between 1:24-1:26 though 1:25-1:26 seems more realistic now. Here's what I came up with: Mile # Splits 1 7:30-7:20 2 7:10-7:15 3 6:50-7:00 4 6:50 5 6:40 6 6:20-6:30 ( 1st 10k: sub 42-44 mins ) 7 6:20 8 6:15 9 6:15 10 6:10 11 6:00-6:10 12 6:00 13 5:50-6:00 0.1 0:35 (last 0.1 mile is variable) Estimated total time: 1:24:30-~1:25:XX Is this a reasonable plan or should I start out a bit faster (maybe 7:10-7:00) and "spread out" the pace more evenly? At the same time I don't want to blow up later in the race b/c I started too fast...Try to reply today as soon as possible or by latest early tomorrow morning so I can make any last minute changes...thanks!

That's a lot of variation in pace. I'd be much more inclined to have a more even pace through the whole thing, but I suppose it's more of personal preference. I find it very hard to drop the pace as much as I should when I go out slow, and I think it would be much harder with over a minute of pace drop. If I go out slow, it's like I'm telling myself to run slow and it's hard to change gears. I ran my half last November in just under 1:33 with pretty even splits the whole way through. One thing that I found very helpful was sticking with people at my pace. I'm sure the race, especially the first 5 miles, would have been much harder with no one to pace with. Most people are trying to run pretty even splits so dropping the pace so much will probably leave you with no one for support and you may find it much more mentally demanding trying to keep track of your speed. Typical race pacing for me goes like this: first 30% - try and run 10-30 secs per mile slower than average goal pace (it depends on the distance of the race), middle 40% - try to get right at goal pace, and last 30% - run as fast as I can sustain for the rest of the race. But that's just me, and you may have something from your training to convince you to do your thing. Whatever the case, good luck tomorrow!

thanks med for the reply...I guess it all boils down to how you feel on race day..I'll probably start a tad faster, perhaps 7:20-7:10 and go from there...I'm writing down the splits on my palms...
Looks like it's going to be a wet race...showers predicted in the morning. I'm anticipating a smaller crowd (100-150 people). Anyways I have to go now..I'll post my report later today or early tomorrow...Wish me luck!

On my races, I like to take the first mile a tad slow. Gives me a chance to warm up and get situated in the groups and to burn off some of the pre-race addrenaline. After the first mile, then I start picking up the pace to what ever feels comfortable.

How'd it go? :shrug:

Considering what you wrote down...that looks a little crazy if you ask me. You need to put in some more even splits.

:twocents: