What do you know about kola nut? I know that its use is pretty wide spread now and that kola nut is used in drinks and food. I hope that someone can tell me more about any side effects that the kola nut might have, as well as possible allergic reactions and the like. Thank you very much in advance for your assistance.

Kola nut is so widespread mainly because it is used in soft drinks like Coca-cola or Pepsi. It comes from Africa where people chew it for its caffeine, which is one of the reasons it’s used for drinks, besides it bitter taste. Caffeine can be addictive and dangerous substance when it’s consumed in very high doses. It can cause agitation, insomnia, body tremors, and high fever among other things, but, as I said, that’s only in high doses. Kola nut also contains other type of substances that are considered to be dangerous, N-nitrous compounds which are toxic in high levels.