My mother is 47 yrs old.She is having thyroid problem. Her tummy is enlarging day by day from past 15 yrs. now it looks very abnormal as if she's having a 9 months baby in her tummy.I am really worried for her. I hope it is not indication of any serious health problem. Should we go for MRI? Is this a symptom of any serious disease?

Hi! Your mother may have Hypothyroidism, that's a a condition in which the body lacks sufficient thyroid hormone. I suffered from an opposite condition called Hyperthyroidism, so my thyroid gland had to be removed. Common symptoms of Hypothyroidism include: fatigue, weakness, weight gain or increased difficulty losing weight, coarse, dry hair, dry, rough pale skin, hair loss, etc. Does your mother have these symptoms too? She should see her endocrinologist and get her hormones checked.