Hi, I am 25 years old female and I have one problem. I am sleeping with my eyes open. Yes you heard right, with my eyes open. Is there anyone with the similar problem here?

Hello, I am doing the same thing. But that is not uncommon thing. I have bilateral facial weakness. The thing that caused this is some kind of muscular distrophy. It runs in families from generation to generation. Well your eyes may suffer because of this. You should check your doctor and see if you only have too kept your eyes closed with pads or maybe you need an operation.

Hello!

I'm trying to find out more information regarding some of my medical problems...

I sleep with my eyes wide open (no, not just partially open) My cornea is fully exposed and I appear awake. I've done this my entire life. Of course, the only way I know is because I'm told (and didn't fully believe it until I was shown photos!). This causes severe dryness, pain, and red eye. I've tried a couple different eye drops/ointments, but didn't get much relief. I worry about the long term effects of my corneas drying out nightly. I had LASIK eye surgery one year ago. That in itself will cause dry eyes. Subsequently, it has worsened my symptoms. I should note, however, that the surgery was successful and I have 20/20 vision now!

I was diagnosed with Temporal-Mandibular Joint Dysfunction (commonly referred to as TMJ) about 4 years ago. I've worn 6 different types of mouth guards. None of them prevent the grinding of my teeth at night, they simply protect my teeth (and ultimately dry my mouth, causing cavities due to lack of saliva!). I'm excessively sleepy and will sleep 15 hours if uninterrupted. Therefore, my doctor order a sleep study...

Oddly enough, I didn't grind my teeth the whole night of the sleep study. However, I know for a fact that I usually do because I'm told by others, sometimes I wake up grinding, catch myself starting to when I get sleepy, and there's wear on my teeth indicative of grinding.

Anyway, the sleep study results showed I only entered REM sleep for approximately 4 minutes. My sleep disorder physician said it was odd but there was nothing he could do about it except prescribe Provigil to keep me more alert during the day. I really worry about the affects of little to no REM sleep on my health. Obviously REM sleep is incredibly important. In studies, rodents deprived of it die! I want to find out more information as to what would cause this and if there's anyway to help the situation. By the way, the maximum dosage of Provigil isn't really making me any less sleepy during the day.

I feel exhausted 24/7. I have zero energy. I'm only 21 years old. I'm a pre-medical student, which drains me even more. I don't want to be a zombie who sleeps half the day away. My back, shoulders, and neck ache nonstop. I get severe incapacitating headaches frequently too. I'm so lethargic and fatigued during the day I cannot partake in exercise or many things normal people do. I'm not trying to have a pity party here, but I'm just so tired!!! :cry:

Perhaps I should mention all the medical conditions I have. By chance, they may be inter-related...

1. Inappropriate Sinus Node Tachycardia (heart condition)
2. Irritable Bowel Syndrome (digestive condition)
3. Chronic constipation
4. Ovarian cysts
5. Menorrhagia (heavy periods) & Polymenorrhea (frequent periods)
6. Chondro-Malacia Patellae (knee condition)
7. Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome (connective tissue disorder)
8. Vasculitis (circulation/blood vessel condition)
9. Digital Ischemia (inadequate blood flow to fingers)
10. Raynaud's Phenomenon (vasospastic attacks in extremities)
11. Migraines / Tension headaches
12. Frontal lobe & slight temporal lobe brain damage (result of car accident 5 years ago)
13. Idiopathic Hypersomnia (excessive sleepiness)
14. Temporal-Mandibular Joint Dysfunction (teeth grinding)

Any information at all would be much appreciated. I don't wish these problems on anyone, but at the same time I don't want to suffer alone.

**edited by moderator ** e-mails not allowed **

Please read our Terms of Use

Thank you...

Sincerely,
Keleigh