I always click my teeth right before I fall asleep every night. It's not teeth grinding or clenching, and sometimes if I pay attention I can feel it. My lower jaw twitches upward causing my teeth to click. People tell me that it happens for about 5 minutes right when I fall asleep and it doesn't happen again for the rest of the night. What exactly is going on and how can I fix it?

Hi! I found that teeth grinding can be caused by stress and anxiety, but it often occurs during sleep and is more likely caused by an abnormal bite or missing or crooked teeth. Your dentist can fit you with a mouth guard to protect your teeth from grinding during sleep. If stress is causing you to grind your teeth, ask your doctor or dentist about options to reduce your stress. Attending stress counseling, starting an exercise program, seeing a physical therapist, or obtaining a prescription for muscle relaxants are among some of the options that may be offered. Avoid or cut back on foods and drinks that contain caffeine, such as colas, chocolate, and coffee. Do not chew on pencils or pens or anything that is not food. Avoid chewing gum as it allows your jaw muscles to get more used to clenching and makes you more likely to grind your teeth.