Hi everyone,

I'm not really familiar with these kind of sleep phases, I'm basically telling you what my friend told me already.

I told him how I am having trouble with my sleep and how it affects my waking life. He told me that there are five different cycles of sleep and that REM is that last one of them, and by what he could conclude, I am not entering my REM phase. He told me that it is probably because of my depression and that it can lead to some problems if I don't fix it. But does anyone know how can I fix it?

This is dangerous, Guest. It seems to me that you aren't even aware of how dangerous this can be.

REM phase of sleep is the most important phase of them all. The thing that you need to understand is that nothing can prevent REM in a long run. If you aren't getting to REM phase, REM phase is going to get to you. It is going to occur during other phases of sleep. The worst part is that it is going to occur during your waking life as well. You are going to have hallucinations and you are going to fall asleep and wake up without even noticing these things.

You are right Deni, I had absolutely no idea that REM sleep is so important. I mean, I know that sleep is important and I thought that I was having more or less a good sleep, but I guess that I am wrong. I am so scared of those hallucinations you've mentioned, I hope that it doesn't happen, it's like living in two worlds at the same time, the real one and the dream world.

I need advice on how could I possibly get my sleep back to normal, I honestly have no idea what could I possibly do about this.

I don't think that you can do anything about this, Guest. You can only do whatever you can to get yourself out of this depression cage that you are into.

Listen, sleep problems are the first symptoms of depression and all people suffering from depression have them. It is quite a normal thing that happens to people suffering from depression so I wouldn't worry about hallucinations and stuff like that, your case is not that severe and you probably won't have to deal with it. However, you still need a good and quality sleep so I would recommend you to start fighting your depression.

I understand that, Nina, but it is so hard to function every day when I am not getting enough sleep, when I'm not having any quality sleep. Are you sure that there is nothing that can be done about this? I will do whatever it takes, literally whatever I need to do to get better.

You know already that fighting depression isn't easy and that it takes so long. I'm trying, I honestly am trying but I don't think that it is working. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, maybe it just takes more time, I have no idea, but I swear that I am trying.

Hey guys.

I believe that you are dealing with sleeping paralysis system in here. And like others already told you, this is very dangerous! Think about this. You need to look for someone who is an expert to help you about this. Sleep paralysis is a strange feeling of being conscious but unable to move. It just stops you from moving in any direction. It usually occurs when a person passes between stages of wakefulness and sleep and during these transitions, you may be unable to move or speak for a few seconds up to a few minutes. Some people may also feel pressure or a sense of choking. Now you can understand why this is dangerous, right? 

Hi there. I know how hard it is to function every day when you are dealing with something like this. My good friend from the college was suffering from the depression and she was not able to enter in rem phase of sleep as well. I was watching this because we were sharing the room, she was my roommate. That kind of the depression I was not able to see anywhere. It is very hard, it was hard for me even if I didn't have this kind of problem. People who are in this stadium of their life need help, and they need that help very soon. So my advice is to seek for help immediately.

Lot of people don't even know what means REM phase. Here is an explanation - REM stands for "rapid eye movement" and it is named for the spike of activity in the eyes during sleep. Now, like others already told you it can be dangerous and you really should do something about it. Not reaching your sleep REM cycle on a regular basis can cause problems while you're awake, every single day of your life causing you a nightmares. Sleep has an effect on your ability to function and sleeping without enough REM sleep can also cause a variety of health issues.

This is horrible! That is a moment where I don't know am I awake or I am sleeping. I have no idea. I didn't know how to fight it, I didn't know what to do and of course, that all was affecting my daily activities as well. I was aware what is the REM phase and I was aware that it is very important part of us all and we all need to be in that phase. When we can't enter in this phase, we become very nervous and we have problems with doing our daily activities, with doing some ordinary things. We just can't do that. So consulting with someone who can help you fight your depression is very important.

Hi
I think you cannot sleep because your mind remains awake every time you go off to sleep. There may be many disturbances in your mind which led you to think even when you are on the bed. It happens sometimes but this is your usual pattern which is not at all good for your health. You have to understand the fact that if you will not stop thinking the full day, you will not be able to sleep in nights. Start eating sleep enhancing food that might help you to erase your problem.