Two days ago, I caught a cold. Today my mucus turned yellow (I know this is normal). But I noticed that since yesterday, sometimes when I blow my nose, I see small black particles in my mucus. It's not large enough to be solid. It's very small. What could this mean?

I don't smoke. I don't work in a polluted enviornment (in fact I don't work at all). I live in the suburbs.

Since you are sick and you are probably blowing your nose hard it is possible that you have some blood in your mucus but since it is mixes with yellow color it has turned out black. It is normal during a cold and infection of the throat because this is causing strange colored discharge. Also if you have problems with sinuses and if they are inflamed they will bleed. This will also result in some blood stains in your mucus.

You simply have to wait to get better and use the home remedies for which you are sure are going to help you to feel better such as chicken soup and fruits high in vitamin C level. Also avoid spicy and peppery foods until you get better.

If your using a neilmed bottle the black plastic end is deteriorating and tiny tiny pieces of the plastic are going to your nasal passages and coming out I found this out by taking the NeilMed squirt bottle it running it under the water of my sink seems to be worst with hot water so I'm going to contact the company today until them what's happening I have several bottles even brand new ones that do this