This post is an extension of the

Need help - dark orange mucus coming out of my nose! thread.

Please continue posting within this thread.

I have experienced the dark orange mucus draining from my nose as well. I am not sure why, but was just diagnosed with a sinus infection. I've had what feels like a toothe ache, an ear ache, a sore throat, and very tender cheeks all just on one side of my face.

My wife is very ill and has the orange flem, but only when she coughs. It is not from her luns, but her throat. The doctor prescribed some stuff and did some blood work. The nurse called and said her white cells were way up, which means her bod is fighting a severe bacterial infection. jDoc wants to see her again in the morning for more tests. I wish someone who recovered from this would post back with info, or has everyone died from the mysterious orange goo?

Unlike the majority of people, I wasn't sick. I was camping and woke up with a headache. I'm pretty sure it was from dehydration. I went for a morning run and when I got back, my nose randomly started dripping. I wiped it on my sweat towel and didn't look at the color. The headache was off and on all day, so I just kept drinking lots of water. Nothing happened again until I was lying in bed and my nose started dripping. I took a kleenex and noticed it was orange. I blew my nose and this slightly thicker bright orange blob came out! Headache was gone the next morning and haven't had a problem since. This can't be a sinus infection for me, but this correlates with one woman who said she was mildly dehydrated and about 3/4ths through her menstrual cycle.

I had a persistent chest congestion with hacking cough for a while before my doctor diagnosed it as bronchitis. I took a Z-pack along with albuterol inhaler and towards the end of the antibiotics I started noticing the occasional orange mucus when I blew my nose. It seems to build up and come out in very large quantities all at once upon a good nose blowing. I still have a bit of a wheeze and some chest congestion despite finishing my antibiotics and my doc has me going in for a chest x-ray on Monday. What is with this orange stuff? It's very weird and no one I know has had it before!

I read all 12 pages of the previous part of this thread and nobody seemed to have updated that they had been cured of this, so thought that I would be the first and offer some reassurance. I had a heavy cold for approx two weeks and towards the end had ear ache and could feel pressure on my sinuses and behind my wisdon teeth. This resulted in the bright orange stuff coming out exactly as everyone has described, but only from my left nostril. This of course worried me. Anyway, I used my wife's facial sauna thing and added a couple of drops of olbas oil and inhaled for a few minutes twice over. This really cleared my sinuses of all of the rubbish (and stung my eyes) and was the first time I had breathed clearly for weeks. This was on day 4 of the orange stuff, and I have been clear for about a week now and am back at the gym :-)

Ten days ago I came down with a cold, which wreaked havoc on my sinuses because I had to fly for 14 hours. I just got over my cold 3 or 4 days ago, and can finally depressurize my ears at will. A day ago very clear and very runny orange stuff just started pouring out of my nose for no apparent reason, and this morning I woke up because of something dripping down the back of my throat, so I leaned over and a buttload of watery bright orange/reddish liquid just "fell" out of my nose.

I read all 12 pages from the original post and there is a trend leaning toward discharge after sinus infections related to cold and flu symptoms. Prolly nothing to worry about unless it doesn't go away after a few days.

Wow. I literally just blew my nose and after about four very used tissues of this thin, orange fluid, I just stood with my mouth hanging open in shock. Of all the sinus problems I've had, I've never had this.

The week of christmas, I had a very bad cold, verging on flu, but mainly just having to blow my nose constantly (and clearly blocked sinuses as every time I did this, I felt/heard a crackling in my inner ear). Since new year, my old chronic sinusitis flared up and I had the typical acute symptoms: intense sinus pressure (causing what felt like tender cheeks, jaw ache, stuffy nose, earache, toothache) and a very nasal voice. Yesterday I started taking the general decongestant Otrivine

My assumption would be that this discharge is the body ridding itself of the blockage (and hopefully the problem!) and is draining fluid from deep in the sinuses.

Even after years of sinusitis, I still said: eurgh!

I had this a few years back where it just came out of my nose like a tap had been turned on. It was sinus infection and it also gave me headache,swollen eyes and dizziness,vertigo, ear pains,toothache and swollen neck. All the areas that your sinus takes route around your face. I could not get rid of mine through antibiotics or nasal sprays etc.A CT scan showed up narrowed sinuses and a polyp then i had an operation.Unfortunately 4 years on it has come back for me.:-(

I get yellowish-orange thick discharge whenever I get a sinus infection. I used to average one or two major infections per year, notably fall and spring when I'd get allergy flare-ups and a possible cold virus on top of it. The orange color comes from what looks like tiny blood vessels getting sneezed up/blown out. I always got really bad pain in my sinuses, especially around the nose and eyes. (and a headache to top it.) Not to mention bad congestion, often to the point of being unable to breathe at all through my nose. I would suffocate if I didn't resort to mouth breathing, but that only helps to make my throat sore and dry me out more.

Usually the recourse was to go to the doctor and get antibiotics. To answer people's questions, YES it does clear up eventually, but it may take a long time, especially if I wait too long before getting the prescription or if I get a doctor that doesn't believe in giving out antibiotics. By long time, some of my worst infections took over a month before I was free of needing to pack tons of tissues with me. This happened a lot during my school years and as a result I was often the brunt of brutal teasing for being constantly sick and blowing my nose/sneezing.

Fortunately I've outgrown a number of my allergies and being prescribed fluticasone, severe sinus infections have been much rarer. I haven't gotten to the point of blowing out f blood and snot. That was until these last two weeks... I got a cold, went to the doctor (saw someone not my regular doctor because of the time). The doctor dismissed my case, sent me home... I started getting better, then bam.... This is what happens nearly every time I get a cold that lasts longer than a few days. So yes, I'm reading this thread and posting because right now my nose and I are not happy campers...

-

TL;dr Short answer: Yes I get this c**p too, but it does heal. Takes a darn long time, but it subsides. I think the reason many don't come back to post a follow-up is because it does take a long time to heal, but it can reoccur any time the sinuses get upset.

So my symptoms woke me up this lovely night in March. Arrr says I... I have read all of the post on this matter of the "Orange Mucus" Its a tad odd how its only the left side that expels this "Goo". I'm a health nut, so I'll keep an eye on how I'm doing and toss up another post in a week. Hopefully my diet and exercise kick this "cold" in the bum.

I have had this issue for one year and three months! Nothing has helped and no doctor has been able to tell me what is wrong.

Symptoms:
- Orange fluid from nose (usually in the morning) (Feels like I have to sneeze when it's there)
- Yellow/Greenish thick mucus from the back of my throat
- Copious amounts of clear fluid from my nose throughout the day
- Completely stuffed up most of the time
- Can't smell or taste most of the time (even when my nose is clear)

Symptoms I don't have:
- Headaches
- Cough
- Sore throat

The doctors have treated me for:
- Sinus infection (Three times)
- Allergies
- I was told it was a problem with my anatomy (MAYBE), but I can't see that being true because nasal sprays clear it up completely for a few hours

I have tried:
- Antibiotics (3 different kinds)
- Antihistamines
- Neti pot (As often as possible)
- Hot showers, steam and hot tea (loosen things up a bit but never clears it)
- Vicks
- Eucalyptus oil
- Gargling with salt water
- Nasal decongestants (Spray works, Pills don't)
- Spicy foods

Possible contributing factors:
- Living in a dry climate (although the problem started just last year, and it continues to be an issue regardless of season, or if I visit a more moist climate)
- It started after visiting with family (Who are chain smokers, and it was winter so the doors and windows were sealed. Although the doctor told me this would not have caused it) (I'd also like to make a note here that I do not smoke)

I have the same problems as you. I have had these problems for about 7-8 years now. I finally realized that its the structure of my nose that is causing all of these problems for me. I sucked my thumb as a kid and when I would do this, I would put my pointer finger over my nose... doing this eventually caused my nose to slightly bend to one side... causing all of these sinus problems. :(

If I were you, I would go to a ENT who does plastic surgery... have him/her look at your nose and see if there is any curvature causing blockage. I went to one a few months ago and he told me that I need surgery to fix my problem. BUT, since it's "elective" surgery, my insurance won't cover the costs. So, I have to save up an extra $6k to cure my problem. Such a bummer!

I've had 4 sinus infections in less than a year. the last two were right in a row. I had gross orange chunks coming out of my nose! Sick!! I can only speak for myself, so... my problem is that I have horrible allergies which produce mucus and mucus is a breeding ground for bacteria. So if I'm around smoke of any kind (cigarette, cigar, fireplace!) while I have allergies, it is likely that I'll get a sinus infection. And I get really sick for at least a week. It comes on quick and antibiotics are the only thing that works....eventually.

My theory so far is staphylococcus aureus infection. 20-80_ of world population have it in their noses.
staph. aureus can produce many kinds of toxins, many of them dissolving tissue (hyaluronase, etc.) or causing the mucus to thicken to hardness (coagulase). Coagulase will cause any proteins polymerise, so when dried it will be hard as a rock and insoluble.

Remember, main danger of staph. aureus is the toxins and enzymes it produces and secretes. They are dangerous without the bacteria too! (one clear, watery drop from my nose on my hand, quickly swiped caused the piece of skin crumble away after two days).

Fun point is staph. aureus can produce beta-toxin, which is inactive at normal body temperature, but most active at 10°C, so my theory is when enough of beta-toxin is on the membranes is exposed to cold air, in a matter of seconds the nasal membranes will leak blood plasma with some red blood cells too. I understand it that staph. aureus keeps nourished by seeping the blood plasma from you, various excretes serve that purpose.

I understand it that way that you need to keep out staph. aureus away from taking control. Lots of tea (black) with citric acid (2L or half a gallon) a day helps. Antibiotics shopw very little to no activity on staph. aureus.

So while orange runny discharge from nose can be caused by variety of conditions, chemical or biological causing the nasal membranes to leak blood water, plasma and red blood cells (even cocaine could do that as somebody mentioned), many people can connect it with intense pain, confusion, ilness, weakness and such - many of which can be caused by toxins excreted by staphylococcus aureus.
As some antibiotics help the symptoms, but users report they have no effect on the stuffed nose and/or nose infection, it is likely that the secondary infection is cured by that.

Can anybody confirm this line of investigation?
Do your symptoms worsen after having a warm shower and then being exposed to cold?
Do you happen to have fungal infection?
Is/was your nose broken (bad air passage)?