I don't smoke. In fact, I have never smoked in my entire life. Maybe, I took a drag of a cigarette when I was like five. That's over 20 years ago now.

Anyway, I am getting over a cold/viral throat infection and I have ALOT of mucus coming from my nose and chest. Sometimes, especially when I first wake up in the morning. I'm noticing black specs in the mucus. :-(

I am also noticing small specs of blood. Is this normal? Will it go away? I don't have insurance, so I really don't want to have to go to doctor, but I'm a little worried.

One more piece of info. I took a TB skin test 3 years ago and tested positive, but I've taken 2 chest x rays since then and they all come out negative.

Will the excess mucus go away soon? Should I be alarmed about the black specs and blood?

Please help.

I frequently get sinus infections, which are commonly mistaken for the common cold. Almost every time after I've begun to recover I get the same thing (black specks and blood). My doctor told me that it's from the inside of my nose being raw after days of sneezing and blowing it. The black specks are dried blood/ scabs coming loose and exiting your nose. When that happens your nose may bleed just slightly, which also explains the blood in your mucus. I hope this helps. :)