Well it all started out after I got a cold around in November 2011. I was having common symptoms such as a running nose along with that green mucus in your nose and throat. But after about a month I started to realize that I did feel better but I still had mucus in my throat. And since then to now, I can't figure out why and how to stop it. And also, when I am exposed to heat for like more than 10 minutes, my nose starts running again(Weird). It only happens in the heat too. But back to the Mucus thing, it isn't all greenish anymore but it just rather clear. And I know that its mucus and not just my saliva. But how this bothers me so much is the fact that I am constantly having it! When I wake up,first thing I do is spit it out and at night I also get up to spit it out constantly. Now to be more specific about "constant", I mean like every 5 minutes! And I also never have to cough or clear me throat to get it from my throat and out but I have to actually "push" it up with my throat muscles. I really don't know how to describe it really good on how I have to get it out but yea I do get it out. And once its up from my throat to my mouth, I just spit it out. I know some people may find this disgusting/disturbing but it does bother me A LOT and its made my life miserable. Basically I am spitting out mucus about every 5 minutes. I have gone to ENT doctors and whatnot but no luck. I was prescribed some antibiotics but nothing happened. Then I got my sinuses scanned and the doctor said that my sinuses are perfectly fine. I have actually met multiple doctors about this but no luck. Some even said that I just may have a spitting habit and I should just try to swallow it. But I personally know the difference between a habit and this. When I spit it out, I can even see that clear sticky mucus and it just seems disgusting. And while eating food, I do spit a little more. I have to keep a big box by my bed 24/7 so I can spit. I would estimate that I spit about 200 times a day(Yea I know that's a lot). And whenever I go, I have to stuff a bunch of napkins in my pockets to spit. I am a male and only 14. When I go to school I try to somewhat try not to get noticed since its really embarrassing. In class is when its just horrible. There is basically no way not to get seen spitting and it is so embarrassing because spitting constantly is known as a bad habit and that's why my friends think. And its not what I'm spitting, its just the fact that I do have to spit so much. I have also tried many common home remedies for example gargling with warm salt water as well as just plain out drinking plenty of water. As I am typing this, I have a disgusting box right by me to spit in. And when I do swallow it, It comes back even faster because it just feels like I need to spit it out! Sometimes I even get that feeling that I will throw up if I keep swallowing the mucus not to mention that I just can't tolerate the fact that I am swallowing mucus. And no one even understands my condition. What I go through every day with this disgusting disease or whatever. Since doctors haven't even been able to figure out why this is happening, most of the people I know just think I am spitting because I have a habit or something. I don't know what to do now and I am turning to the community in hope for some helpful answers and solutions. I can't even remember what it was like to be able to go to school and stuff and not spit the whole day. Really I wouldn't mind having this problem if it wasn't so constant. And when I say every 5 minutes, I am not exaggerating. I don't think I have missed any details and I hope someone does have the answers I desperately need. I need a solution to this and the faster the better. Thank you to anyone who attempts to offer a clarification and/or solution. And also I do get heartburn but only with certain foods. I don't know if that is relevant or not to my problem but I still wanted to state it. And someone mentioned something about cystic fibrosis which I am not sure yet if I have it or not. But it could be something related to an ear infection as well as something related to my heartburn. Once again,any help would be greatly appreciated

i hv a simillar issue,only that i dont hv to spit every after 5 mins,but the mucus tastesomehow metallic esp in the Morning, check this site,it mgt b helpul...

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed***Please read our Terms of Use

It sounds like you have post-nasal drip. Sometimes this kind of condition requires antibiotics to completely clear so you have to see a doctor about this. Cystic Fibrosis is a genetic condition that you could have only if one of your parents have it. It does not just develop...

The something is happening to me,went to the doctor, no improvement i don't know what to do.

Hello Hasrat,

I'm replying to increase awareness about this issue, in the hopes that this will get to the right people capable of identifying the cure. I've had this problem for about 12 years now. Just like you, it started out with a cold. Once the cold left, I was left with this sensation of a lump in my throat and excess mucuos. I didn't even know what post nasal drip was at the time, but have since been able to determine that I indeed have post nasal drip, and LPR or silent acid reflux as well (yes they are connected.) The mucuos coats my mouth and throat constantly. The upper part of my esophogous feels constricted, and with all of this has come a case of halitosis because the mucous never stops; there is a faucet of mucous at the back of my throat for the bacteria to thrive on. The most heartbreaking aspect of all of this, is that I have unintentionally and unknowingly passed this condition on, including confirmed silent reflux, to other people close to me.

These occurences have led me to the conclusion that whatever we have is caused by some type contagion or infection. I've been researching as much as possible and have found this study that shows that acid reflux symptoms can be caused by infectious protozoa:

Evidence of a Link Between Acid Reflux, Colitis, and Protozoa

http://microscopiccreatures.lefora.com/2011/02/13/evidence-of-a-link-between-acid-reflux-colitis-and/

Since I don't have affordable access to quality healthcare, and certainly not research doctors at this time, I've been left to try different over-the-counter remedies of all kinds including expensive mouthwashes, neti pot rinses, and all kinds of herbs in an attempt to alleviate this condition. The only thing that gave me any relief was enteric-coated oil of oregano - a natural antiviral. I ran out of it before its job was done, and now it has no affect (yet another reason why I think this is caused by a contagion).

I'd love to be able to have a test done to find out to find out if the cause is a virus, bacteria, fungus, protozoa, or other. Until then I am sorry I can't give you the answer you are looking for. You will hear alot of "just watch what you eat and stay away from acidic foods." This will help alleviate the symptoms for some people, but I am looking for a cure, and I'm sure you are too. By the way, one of the current forerunners in silent relux research, Jaime Kaufman, has found that reflux sufferers have excess pepsin in their esophogus. This is why the acidic foods cause a problem - because they activate the pepsin there. But why is there excess pepsin there? Dr. Kaufman doesn't have that answer - she is trying to sell a cookbook.

I hope this has helped. There are alot of us suffering with this. Together we will find the answer soon. And if there are any microbiologists out there willing to help, please contact me.

What you have does sound a lot like post nasal drip. I had a big problem with mucus building up in my throat and it caused me to gag. Excess thick mucus would drain into the back of my throat and it would cause me to gag uncotrollably. After trying several medications that may have helped some but did not cure the problem, I found a web site that sold a homeopathic product that was for post nasal drip. I checked it out on Amazon and somereviewers said it helped them very much and some said it didn't help at all. I ordered it hoping I would be one of the ones it helped. I was not disappointed. After just taking it for several days it cleared the mucus away and I felt 100% better. This is not something the doctors are going totell you about. I don't know for sure that it will help you but from my experience I can say that it certainly is a possibility. SinusWars2 is the name of the medicine. Since we can't post web addresses I simply say you can do a google search and find it.

OK, I've posted a similar reply to other posting but this is what I've found -

I’ve been there – done that for many years. I’ve seen 4 different doctors without any positive results and tried MANY - MANY Rx’s. I’ve been tested for allergies, asthma and GERD and I’m not a smoker. I not knocking the medical community but they seem to have tunnel vision when it comes to this condition. With the help of some on-line postings and some research, I’ve come upon some promising results.

Antibiotics seem to be a common denominator.  When a doctor prescribes an antibiotic it kills all the bacteria [good and bad] in your system – this is good when you are ill since it eliminates what was making you ill. However the elimination of the good bacteria has consequences. [Please note that I’m not a medical professional so my descriptions/explanations may not be stated well but this is what I’ve pieced together with some research] There is a relationship in the body between mucus and good bacteria. If the good bacteria are not adequate, the body produces mucus as protection.

With my condition, I separated it to a mucus problem and a post-nasal drip problem. First the mucus - Probiotics are designed to replace the good bacteria. They are not new and have been around for a long time and there is a lot of information available on them – doing your own research is recommended. In my case, I’ve been prescribed antibiotics many times over the years but never replaced the good bacteria. So I started with a low dose of Probiotic and worked up. [I was taking 3 capsules 2X daily and then backed off] This has reduced the mucus in my throat a lot – maybe 80% or more. [I’m reluctant to say that I’m cured]

Next the post-nasal drip. This is still a work in progress. Over-the-counter decongestants aren’t a solution for me – Sudafed-like compounds mess with my blood pressure but I still use Flonase. So thanks to another on-line posting, I use lemon water to cut any drip. The best addition has been the use of Quercetin [a supplement which is an natural anti-inflammatory and anti-histamine] So far, so good! It seems to be working.

I hope this information works. Good luck.

Hi, If you find taking probiotic pills work...consider making your own as these pills can get expensive. You can make your own more potent probiotic using either milk kefir grains or water kefir grains. Another benefit is these probiotic will be alive and not in a dorment state in pills which takes time to activate in your body. There are network that share kefir grains for free. As you reuse them anf they grow like crazy.

had this problem for over 4 years now and the sad thing is i think i passed it to my 2 kids i had in those 4 years.they have sticky saliva and it flares up when they cry for a while. its always there at the back of my throat and i'm contanstly trying to push it down, at times i've actually thrown up but its a struggle as it's really sticky and doens'nt come away. when my kids one flares up my 3 year old get bubbly saliva and is always swallowing the saliva more often than usual. he actually got right now and he's got more watery saliva. doctors said they cant see anything wrong with us even my 1 year old has its sooo sad i dont know whta to do :( pls help if any of you what it is or even called

thanx in advance

Sounds like GERD. If u r only 14 and have heartburn I suggest u have ur mother take u for a 2nd opinion to a gastro and another E N T (ear nose & throat Dr. ) on the cyctic fibrosis that is a disease that is diagnosed as an infant or toddler and ur parents are not likely to have this disease nor would they know they carry the gene unless they specifically asked to be tested but they will carry the resessive ( sp?) gene. That is the easier way for that diagnosis through ur parents being tested for the gene. You would be unable to breath with the amount of mucus and the thickness like glue without treatment for 14 yrs. Now Ciliac can have a lg amt of mucus and the same feeling that u need to spit. Try cutting down on all dairy products, carbs and get a gluten free bread. Drink water always carry a bottle with you and if u see an improvement make an appointment with an endocrinologist. Good luck .

Hi all,

have been going through all that mucus gunk yuk!! never ending, always been into alternative medicine, etc juicing.

Have been making up a concoction of Garlic, Ginger, BLACKSTRAP Mollasses, Honey, lemon, water, knowing how good all the above are, so i decided to experiment.

Its working hallelujah

Dont use cheap CH!!!??? Garlic pay the price for the decent stuff

Anyhow this is my recent receipy. best to do at night to leave overnight.

500 grams Garlic and almost the same with the Ginger, peel, chop, put in stainless steel pot, cover it with water,boil, turn down, down, simmer real low for awhile. turn off.

Before it gets cold take out the Garlic and Ginger strain it not to waste any juice because you need to juice it the best way you can, ( i have a Gear Juicer excellent piece of equiptment that i use for juicing) anyway moving on add mollasses to the liquid, about 4 tablespoons,  honey to your taste, i tend to have mine bland can always add extra later

Lemons while cold (22) squeeze it all into mixture,minus pips,stir it all well strain and pour into bottles should get about 3 to 4  bottles depending on the amount of water added to it all.

Take a Large cup pour mixture, in top up with warm water, drink morning and night whenever you want to , you will cough and spit it out yuk!??? eventually, hallelujah

Also remember to shake the bottle before taking mixture as all the best stuff sinks to the bottom

Check this man out : Joel Wallach. and another one of his sights youngevity. com 

can watch him on U Tube " Awesome" Bless you all Marlene

I too am having similar problems! Thick whitish saliva. Sometimes it builds up so thick it clogs my throat and causes vomiting. Spitting every 2 minutes. Upset stomach. It started with sinus infection (maybe mold exposure during house repair) about 2 years ago. Treated with antibiotics 3x. No relief. Saw ent. He says nothing there. He wants sinus scan. I say no. I know my sinuses are fine. Had sinusitis before and it feels nothing alike. Saw dentist. Nothing there. Trying antifungal for 2 weeks. Less upset stomach. Less vomiting. Same spitting. WTF is going on? Help!

Mucus and gunk yuk! has ceased taking the above Garlic, ginger, Honey, lemon,this is by adding one of Joel Wallah Concoctions,tangy tangerine to it which has Antioxidants, Probiotics, Amino acid,Essential C- factors and more. lovely to take together i feel alot better. to save all this time and effort whilst doing this, found out i had and under active thyroid. Go on to Joel Wallach Sight,. watch him on u tube, on the top right corner you can do a test.( i would buy the starter kit which has the tangy tangarine, add Selenium, and add Ocean Gold which is for the thyroid im sure this will clear it all up) in the meantime try this: 1 Cinnamon,1Lemon, grated Ginger,1clove garlic 1Honey,
Backstrap mollasses to taste, Herb tea bag, brewed fresh daily is very good first thing in the morning in a Large mug . Bless you Marlene

This Sounds too simple and easy. "SinusWars2" I keep it in mind to help others
Bless you Marlene

SO SORRY YOU ARE HAVING THIS PROBLEM...I TOO, HAVE BEEN FIGHTING THIS PROBLEM FOR OVER 30 YRS... AND RECENTLY I FIGURED OUT ON MY OWN THAT BY USING THE VAPORIZER IN MY BEDROOM HAS HELPED ME SO MUCH...I HAVE ALSO HAD MANY TEST DONE OVER THE YRS & NO ONE HAS FIGURED IT OUT...I DO BELIEVED THAT THE ACID REFLUX & THE SINUSES OUR ALL CONNECTED ... BECAUSE EVERYONE YOU TALK TO ABOUT THIS IS HAVING SAME SYMPTOMS.... HOPE THIS HELPS YOU, & GOD BLESS ... ( GET A VAPORIZER )