This post is an extension of the

Excessive Mucus in my Throat thread.

Please continue posting within this thread.

I too have the sensation of mucous always in the back of my throat. I constantly clear my throat. I recently was sick very bad. Lots of phlegm, coughing, etc. Well it finally went away, then my throat became really sore. I started taking antibiotics (amoxicillan) which helped the sore throat, but then the mucous came. Well.. It's been over 2 months, and I have had the mucous for a month or more. It's really annoying. I started on AlleRx for allergies, and Astelin for a nose spray. Neither of them seem to be helping me at all. I went to my doctor, and was prescribed Nexium. I'm going to go pick up the prescription tomorrow. I'm also going to have a chest x-ray and blood work done tomorrow, to see if I might have Valley Fever (which is prominent here in Central California). I might possibly have an ear infection, due to my ear hurting me often, and a sense of dizziness.. I also have a lot of stomach acid it seems, and have often had problems with my stomach. Hopefully something helps, and if it does, I will post a reply and let everyone know. If ANYONE has had any of the same symptoms, with any successful treatment, please contact me

Thank you

I've had the same problem for the past 6 months.
It started when I had gotten whooping cough which lasted for about 2 - 3 months. When I was over it I noticed a lump on the right side of my throat and the feeling as though I had this mucus that wouldn't pass or come up, sometimes I also feel as if my throat is really fragile and when I lay down its like I'm choaking.
I read earlier in the thread that someone had found it to be an ear problem. I've had ear problems and infections since I was young so maybe this will be something I'll investigate.
Good to know though that I'm not the only one facing this problem.
I've found what gives temporary relief though is a cup of tea when it gets really bad.

I've had similar symptoms to what everyone has described, but would just like to post what exactly I've been suffering from for reference purposes (and if there's anything specifically anyone thinks would help me, that wouldn't hurt, too).

For as long as I can remember, I've always had excess mucus in my throat. As I'm typing this, I have that feeling of never being able to clear it, despite swallowing (I never clear my throat with coughing because I know how much worse it is to do that). My tongue is usually of a slightly white-ish tinted color and is usually worse looking after I brush my teeth. In fact, my worse mucus moments always occur after I brush my teeth and I end up needing to spit out a lot of excess mucus, even after scraping my tongue. I usually end up spitting an additional 2-3 times for the duration of a shower with some more mucus that I end up just "swallowing" at the end of the shower. The mucus is always clear, unless I am sick, in which case it's usually at least slightly tinted green. When I get sick, the mucus just pours out of me seemingly endlessly, and it's just incredibly disgusting and embarrassing. I usually end up using some nasal spray at the beginning of the day to help prevent some from spewing out, and I realize that's not a great course of action when I get it consecutively, but it's better than rushing to the bathroom every 5 minutes when I'm at work or needing to carry at least two packs of tissues with me when I'm in a class.

I also have bad breath (or so I've been told by family), even immediately after brushing my teeth. I do brush my gums, tongue, and roof, too, but it still occurs. I pretty much don't have a sense of smell at all, and I have a feeling it's due to whatever all this is. I can smell a few things like cigarette smoke (I don't smoke, never have, and none of my family does), markers, concentrated amounts of perfume, some alcohol based substances (I don't drink and have only drank two or three drinks I'm my whole life of 23 years, whatever that's worth), peppermint tea, and perhaps a few other things as well. There have been a few other instances where I've been able to smell, but those were when I was at work and dehydrated. During those instances, it was either the ice cream flavor I smelled (strawberry), or the pizza I smelled cooking. I've never been able to smell those things in any other instance, which makes me think that I may actually be able to smell these things permanently someday, but I don't want to get my hopes up.

I've never had any ear infections or ear irritations, just the nasty breath, hard time swallowing, lack of sense of smell, and bad, mucus feeling in the throat. I also don't cough a lot after I eat or drink, but I do get nasty coughing fits when I swallow a liquid wrong, which I thought was normally, but I've realized I've never seen anyone else cough as badly as I do when it happens. I can't really recall a time I've had that happen with food, except for some banana flavored taffy.

I've been told I should go see a ENT by my old regular doctor, but my insurance is rather iffy right now and I don't have much faith in doctors anymore due to some unfortunate experiences. I'm trying things like cutting down dairy from my diet by replacing skim milk with rice milk (practically tastes the same), and just trying to cut down on foods that I've read are associated with acid reflux disease as I have a few symptoms of that. I don't know if anything will actually work, but it's better than not doing anything at all about this mucus problem. That said, I'm not in much of a position to change my diet as I still live at home with the family and my mother and father pick up all the groceries. They're willing to pick up a few things that are different for me, but they still end up bringing home potato chips, oreos, soda, and what-not just because they're on sale. Like I said, I have a job, but I don't have the money yet to be able to get my own apartment and survive off of my own groceries. Working for it, but I'm not nearly there yet.

Anyone want to adopt me?

I have dealt with all the symptoms of sore throats that have been listed. Heaven only knows how many different products I have been on through the years, most of them haven't done a damn thing to help me. There was only ONE product that helped me in my 12 years of dealing with the problem, and that was a "crack inhaler" that my pediatrician gave me when I was around 13. I wish I knew what the technical name for the product was so that I could help YOU ALL out, but I was not smart enough to write it down 10 years ago. I do suggest asking your doctor though, so take notes of what I am about to say, and ask your doctor about a product like this.

Essentially, you twist the bottom, then you blow out all your air BEFORE you inhale the inhaler (not near the inhaler). Then you breath the inhaler as long as you can, hold your breath, and breath it out AWAY from the inhaler again. You then rinse/gargle water, and repeat if prescribed. Let me just tell you, I don't think it made the mucus really go away, and I was not able to cough up anything, but my air passage was MUCH more open. Honestly, I couldn't cough up anything even if I wanted to, and it gave me my MUCH needed relief at night. I was not worried about choking or not being able to swallow, it was like a dream come true.

I have wanted to get another one of those inhalers, but I am a broke college student with no health insurance. I swear though, when I can afford to go to a doctor, I will tell him I NEED to be prescribed that EXACT SAME item. Medical history would make it an easy process, I just have to suffer with the incurable sore throat until then.

my husband has the same problem with phlegm in the back of his throat.... i found that something that does help clear it up but only temporarily for him. it was something i found on a health website.... take a shot glass of cider vinegar (make sure to have another drink near by as it tastes gross) and then drink lots of fluid throughout the day... clears up in about 3 days of doing that twice a day for 3 days and stayed away for about 6 mths.... hope it works for someone else...
**but do not exceed twice a day**

I know your posts are old. I'm new to this site but found this topic of use to me as i have the same uncomfortable issue. it too was driving me crazy. I have had some success over the last few weeks taking a anti-histomine called "cetirizine hydrochloride". I had tried other antihistomine previously but they were useless. this is the only one that works for me. i take it in the evening once a day and it doesn't cost a lot but the effect has been incredable. The quack also has me on a beni..something inhailer; just a basic nose spray twice a day. so far its the cetiririzine thats been amazing. Good luck. :-D

I had all the same symptoms. I have stopped eating lactose and all my symptoms of infections , bad breath, white tongue etc dissapeared.
Anna

More than likely foodstuff based.

Try giving up milk, eggs and other dairy, wheat, grains etc.

Also try a diet for a day or two of tuna fish/other fish, wild rice and steamed okra, water to drink and nothing else. No tea, coffee, etc, perhaps squeeze a glass of lemon juice in half a glass of water in the mornings. I also have a grapefruit. Try and make everything organinc, but, in particular ALL ADDITIVE FREE.

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed*** 

also google lectins

I have had excess mucus for years and like other posters find it can be worse when eating or drinking. It almost it seems like eating/drinking dislodges the mucus and shoots up into my throat to be spat out.

I have suffered with my nose for years as well and need to clear it reguarly.  The nose mucus ends up dry and crusty.

I do have some mild sinus pain at times and earache.

I would class myself as a mouth breather

I had full blown chesty cough and cold back in January that seems clear but the couch is lingering but greatly reduced on what it was and having done some research the signs are pointing to Post Nasal Drip/ Upper airway cough syndrome.

I find the cough is worst in the morning for a few hours then calms right down to almost no couching at all in the afternoon/evening.

In the morning its like a chesty cough as Im bring up phlegm/mucus.

At the moment there is no coughing during the night.

I do find I need to clear my throat and my voice can struggle to get out at times and breaks up. This is usually AM 

I was off work Novemebr/December 2010 with a upper respiratory track infection/illness for five weeks, my chest developed a severe intolerance of cold/low/cool tempatures and would send me into a coughing session, this resulted in loosing my voice for most of the five week period.  When outside I needed to keep my mouth shut as the cold air once it got in my airways set the cough off.  I have had that problem before but never as sever or for as long.

Anyway the doctors appointment is now booked and is for 11th June.

I am still trying to find cause of this issue and will be trying the various suggestions on here. I will be giving up milk as of tomorrow.

For those still suffering, I found some "Neilmed" products in my pharmacy for flushing out your nasal passages, and using this once or twice a day has made the problem more bearable. Be warned it isn't too pleasant doing this, but it is definitely no worse than the constant gagging and puking caused by the mucus, and after you have done you should at least feel better for a few hours.

Yes... mucous in throat thus Post Nasal Drip sucks. I have similar to all the above since early 2010. After food is always the worst especially food that treats my sweet tooth.... go on eat x3 pancakes with lots of honey and u will probably see what I mean. In saying that I decided to get super fit last year and lost 15kilo what I call my fighting weight and did not make any difference whatsoever.

After trying many dozens of medications the only temporary relieve I have found is tramadol (Strong painkiller) found by accident when treated something for pain. Also Logicin. Before tramadol I found Codeine helped some but u cannot live on Opiates forever- u can but uur body builds up resistance. I think it just makes u think all is well temporarily like any Opiate like substance. Yet it better than living with it day after day.

Never smoked apart from a rare tot on a joint... yet rare. I will wake at night coaching then spit out a huge amount much to my girls delight.

As others have mentioned it causing great hardship both personally, socially and in every other way. Doctors have no idea and when they have no idea after millions of tests they say---Ohhh u must have allergies. They are useless pieces of c**p that suck up your time and money.

Now the Nasal spray Logicin is over the counter and I was touting it a the cure after a couple of days usage... and it helped for about 1 month until my body built up a tolerance. Now it is useless.

Here is a list of what increases the mucus for me---- coffee, anything very sweet, alcohol (Useless drink to a stupor then u do not notice), breads, milk, creamy foods, any food in excess. Yet eating nothing does not mean it goes away, as last year tried many days with absolutely no food as I was desperate to wait until gone then try foods 1 by 1. This test was useless, except for the weightloss. At my fighting weight it still around and is not really better. Just constant without the HIGHS of sugar excesses. It makes sense I would get better with no food... DOES NOT WORK no matter what any piece of c&*p Naturapath rip off artist has to say. They all say similar to Allergy people being NO MILK, NO WHEAT, NO SUGAR, NO YEAST, etc etc and YOU ALL HAVE Candida the yeast infection. It bull as they all say same same... as they no nothing else to say. It BIG money for them to treat what makes sense to most being a Yeast Infection as we all have this in Gut and excess can all turn to HISTAMINE... being allergies but it not the issue- Sorry.

Some under lying cause exists and most have had this since an illness. Many seem to trace back to an illness as I do... something that is immune to antibiotics,

I will monitor this POST to see if anyone else comes up with a casue to treat... meanwhile we live an uncomfortable life. Those long termers who desperate try out Tramadol or strong Codeine... plus Logicin was the only Allergy spray that worked for a short time.

Also salted Warm water down your nose via a dripper.... yes uncomfortable yet can give relieve for few hours. First u spit out huge amount more yet then seems to temporaily thin out.

Hope you're doing ok and please know that there's as much help as you need out there for you. You still have the chance to live a really happy life

dude try the Neilmed stuff I mentioned, it does give temp relief as it cleans you out.
aahsfjdk, that doesn't help at all, if there was help out there then we would have found it by now.

My doc referred me to specialist at hospital, who turned out to be yet another hopeless Indian doctor. He discovered I had a bent septum so decided to focus on that and had no interest in my mucus problem. When I pushed him on it he just said I had Acid Reflux, even when I told him I do not. He prescribed me some medicine which did not help at all, other than to give me a horrible rash and make it even harder to sleep.; Then I read the leaflet and saw the unbelievable list of side effects, it was huge list, including the symptoms I was having (rash, lumps, lack of sleep) all the way up to bleeping from the ears, eyes and nose and even brain damage.
Needless to say those pills went straight in the bin.

So back at square one again.

I also suffer form sleep Apnoea which makes things worse, but I am wondering if my CPAP machine has somehow contributed to this issue, as it would obviously be pushing everything down to the back of my throat at night as I use a nose mask.
I may have to try a face mask for a while and breath through my mouth instead and see if that helps.

have you looked into laryngeal reflux? A variation of acid reflux but worse because if the upper valve in your esophagus is not working right and does not stay closed, mucus and acid comes back up. It is terrible. That is what it sounds like you have. I think I have this too and am having a 24 hr ph test next week to get more info