Hi, i had my tonsils out and im on day 6 of recovery. The right side hasnt been so painfull, but the left side hurts a lot more (earache on the left side also). The white patches are thinning - not falling off in chunks but gradually more pink skin is coming through beneath them.

I notice a small blood clot (half the size of a pea) has formed at the front of where they made the incision, its on the side just after my widsom teeth where the incesion starts and i guess worse case i could get in with my finger and compress with a tissue if it started to bleed (its just about reachable and its not far back like where the tonsils used to be). The pain on the left is about 3 times of that on the right.

When i spat after sleeping i had some lightish brown-ish spit but was cleared after two spits. I am worried about the clot though, its about half the size of a small pea (so it is small) but due to the way its just hanging there on the side it looks like it could easily get ripped off and start bleeding. Should i go to my ENT or are small clots like this ok? Im so scared of having a bleed and any additional surgery. I was given diclofenac but these didnt really help with pain anyway and i know will increase risk of bleeding so ive just stopped taking them now. Should i gargle to remove it or leave it alone? Im scared its gunna drop off and i will bleed lots.

Appreciate any replies as to howto proceede, it small clots like this are normal etc.

Thnx

Chris

I wish someone could of answered your question. I'm on day 5 of recovery and I don't need to tell my story as mine is very similar to yours, if not exactly the same. It seems that if it wasn't for that "clot" on the left side, the pain wouldn't be so bad as the the pain is 3 or 4 to 1 from the left as compared to the right side. Does anyone know if this should be looked at by a doctor or is this a normal occurance with this type of surgery. It's 6am this night I got nil sleep, usually I doze off for half an hour at a time but nada tonight. My 3 kids will be waking up shortly, yipeee. Any help is appreciated.

Rob

I had a similar experience; on day 6 I started to spit up huge clots that were making me gag, and my throat was visibly wet with blood. We just thought it was a scab falling off and so didn't do anything about it. The next morning, however I woke up (after a patchy sleep) with a mouth full of dry blood and my entire right tonsil bed was filled with a huge blood clot. Naturally, I was concerned and rang a medical helpline who advised me to go to emergency - once there the registrar had a choice (he rang my ENT to see what he wanted to do) of either suctioning it off or keeping me in to gargle with a special mix. Endedup doing the gargling, which caused it to fall off in bits. They watched over me like a hawk to ensure it didn't start bleeding after each gargle. Now, its gone and left a huge red mark where it was!! And I'm still coughing up old brown clots that I must have inhaled that awful night, but I'm not worried about them at all.

I know this is a year too late, but I posted my story to help out other searchers.

My daughter had a similar experience as well. Doctors call it post - tonsillectomy bleeding and I would not call it actually a tonsillectomy side effects - I would call it a warning. Why? Because I believe that any patient, it doesn't matter how old the patients,  who report bleeding from the mouth or nose following a recent tonsillectomy it is in a category called "red flag". This means that this case needs and must be admitted for observation. If bleeding happens in 24 hours after the procedure, that is OK, but if this happens after, you should react. 

This would not have helped me at all, but I wanted to share my story in case it helps anybody else. I had my surgery 16 days ago and was told I could get back to normal activity. I looked in my throat last night and there was no visible clotting and looking healthy, pink skin5 (keeping in mind over 2 weeks out). Was singing when I breathed in and choked, I coughed it up and noticed a strange taste, put my hand to my mouth, and discovered blood. Went to the bathroom to spit it out when blood began to come from my mouth. I sat down and started gargling with ice water as the discharge papers said to do. Bleeding increased and spurted with each heart beat, telling me was an arterial bleed. Husband called the ENT who performed the surgery and he instructed us to keep gargling and head to the ER. He was in contact with my husband almost the entire time and had an operating room waiting for me. Started the iv in the ER and sent me down to surgery. Keep in mind this is the middle of the night. It was a blood clot on an artery. I had to have emergency surgery and was admitted into the hospital overnight and allowed to go home today with orders for no strenous activity for 3 days. I go back to the doc tomorrow.

If you are concerned call the ENT and ask, even if it's at night, they have office hours with a physician on call. Unless you have an active bleed you should be okay. Gauze is a no-no as it keeps agitiating the wound, gargle with ice water as it constricts the artery. If it spurts and splatters, it means it's an arterial bleed. Physicians say call in 10 minutes if bleeding not stopped. We called sooner because of the severity of the bleed. With a clot like you're describing, if it causes you concern, just call and ask. If they're worried they'll schedule you an appointment or tell you what to do, saving you some money. Many surgeons don't charge for the second surgery as they consider it part of the original procedure. Some do not, ask your physician.

Save yourself some money and call the number the ENT (or his office number) and ask.

Go to Er if your having bleeding or blood clots. It's not normal it means you need to get the vessel cauterized. I'm sorry for anyone who has to go through it. I understand your pain and the fear of having to do it all over buts it's not as bad as possible hemmorgaing if you don't seek help. I had my tonsils removed about 12 days ago and went in for my follow up appt and my ENT took a quick look and j was heading back to the OR. I had bleeding the Saturday before my Tuesday appt. cold got it to stop but then I bleed again Tuesday early early morning. That was enough for her to admit me. Don't take the chance get better!

My son (15) is 7 days post op and just got home from his scheduled post op appointment. He's had a lot of pain and we found out today he has a nickel size blood clot that's formed on right side. Doc does not want it to rupture because it could cause him to have to go back to OR to stop bleeding.

Could you please describe or send a picture of how your blood clot on the throat after the tonsillectomy looked like ...

I'm currently on day 10 and on day 5 I had ALOT of bleeding (about 3 cups) which ended up forming a huge clot on the right side of my throat. I was admitted back Into hospital for 3 days as doctors were worried. You need to go to emergency if this happens as they were going to have to give me a blood transfusion and further surgery. This could also lead to infection if left untreated. I underestimated how horrible my tonsillectomy would be it's been a nightmare!

Well i did my surgery on 11/09/17 and was painful after as everyone else, I'm still recovering. It's now day 7 (counting from the initial day) and i just woke up at 0306 in the morning by a cough, which something came up but i thought it was just another yellowish looking spit. To my surprise i spit out a huge blood clot in my spit bucket which followed by 2 more clots, upon inspecting it immidiately i presumed it to be the clot of the infamous left pain in the throat. So i went for some cold water started sipping it to stop the bleeding and I'm not sure what's next in the morning, so I'll follow up to inform others.

And no i couldn't eat anything so far leading up to day 7 , too painful, only jello , ice water with glucose (to keep me hydrate) . Sometimes my left ear feels like a massive infection is in it due to the pain (but I'm not alone so thank god) .
Whenever i do drink porridge or soup it causes massive ear pain (plus the normal pain for every swallow).

Did it go down ? On the initial day i did my surgery i saw it instantly and asked the doc what it was and if they had forget to cut it out, he said that it would go down naturally. I'm now on day day 7.