This is a continuation of my original post on page 30 of the previous (closed) thread on the post tonsillectomy/recovery topic, which includes daily pictures (see https://www.steadyhealth.com/adult_post_tonsillectomy___adenoidectomy__what_to_expect-t100123-0-asc-290.html )

So yesterday was day 18 post op, and my throat was feeling not too bad this past week. It had been a little sore in the morning, and once and a while (every 4-5 days) I'd spit up a little bit of blood but it wouldn't be much and it would stop after a minute or two. Anyway, yesterday around 1pm I was in a meeting and I started spitting up a little blood (into a trash can of course). As the meeting went on the blood started coming out faster and faster, and eventually I was spitting up about a teaspoon of blood and spit every couple minutes.

My wife took me to the ENT, and he sent me to the emergency room after unsuccessfully trying to cauterize (sp?) the bleeding wound... in my mouth... while I was awake... without any pain medication. While it only hurt a little when he did it, what was the most disconcerning was seeing the smoke coming out of my mouth and smelling burned flesh... GROSS!

Anyway, we went to the ER and the ENT doctor did the surgery after I was put to sleep (5 hours after we were admitted!). I stayed overnight and was discharged around noon. My throat is pretty sore, but not nearly as much as right after the original surgery.

My ENT doctor was amazed I started bleeding so late, as it usually happens within the first week or so. I know I didn't eat anything sharp that poked my throat, so I have no idea why my throat decided to 'pop'.

Another thing I learned from the anethesiologist (sp?) last night was that when I felt like I had been beat up after my original surgery, it was actually a side effect of the anethesia. Apparently with larger, 'muscular' guys, the anethesia makes all of your muscles twitch/clench before they relax, and that leads to a feeling of being beat up afterwards.

Here are the pictures of the throat when it was bleeding yesterday, and this morning after surgery:

Day 18, Afternoon: http://img503.imageshack.us/img503/5412/tonsilsday18afternoon12pu8.jpg
Day 19 Afternoon: http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/8860/tonsilsday19afternoon12ks2.jpg

***Update***
Well, it's been about 3 weeks since my second surgery, and I think pretty much everything is healed. I still feel something way back in my throat, but I don't think it's a scab since it should have fallen off by now I think. If I feel it in another couple weeks I'll go back to the ENT to have it checked out.

do you still feel something back there?

How are you now? and did you feel something before the bleeding started`?

I am now on three weeks and three days recovery of a tonsillectomy and adenoidectomy, and my throat looks like it's almost fully recovered. The only problem is that I still have this feeling in the back of my throat that is not going away. It almost feels like there is a piece of food, or piece of hair, on either side of my throat where my tonsils were. It is very uncomfortable and I have gagged and thrown up from it multiple times already. When I go to sleep at night my throat is so dry and I wake up with white stuff on the spots where my tonsils were removed. I would think at this point that my scabs should be gone. As I go through the day and eat, the white stuff goes away, but I still have that uncomfortable feeling in the back of my throat. When I go to sleep the white stuff comes back and I do it all over again the next day. I am wondering whether I have scar tissue where my tonsils were removed and am worried that this feeling will never go away.

I am hoping that someone else out there has, or is, going through the same experience I am going through, and has some information they can provide me as I am losing hope at this point. I really hope that I don't have to go through the rest of my life with this feeling as I just can't deal with it.

I had surgery about a week ago and at first my throat was sore, but today my throat started bleeding it was oozing blood(I gaged)after gargleling cold water it stopped. A while later it started again I checked the back of my throat and the scab had been pulled off from me eating a quesadellia earlier today. I am 17 and at my age it bothers me that I'm having this problem is there anyway I can make this bleeding stop? Its uncomfortable.

Just wanted to say Thanks to KelleyinAlbany for being so thorough and detailed. I'm only one day post op and didn't know what to expect and your story has helped. It made me know what kinds of things to expect. Thanks again!

I'm 15, and after about a year of getting Tonsilitis every month, the doctors finally agreed for me to have my Tonsills out! The surgery went fine, I had to stay over night, whilst at the hospital the doctors described my recovery as "uneventful".

For the next week, my throat was pretty sore, I found it difficult eating anything, so I mostly had soup, and occationaly some pasta. I found it very useful constantly having a glass of water next to me, and just having little sips. I personally found iced water best, but my friend said she had luke warm water!

But then on the 16th of Dec, I woke up, I was finding it quite hard to breathe, so I took a sip of water, and it tasted like metal... so I spat it out - on my white(!!!) bed cover, might I add - and my tonsills had started bleeding. I ran downstairs and my Mum called an ambulance. I sat on a chair in the kitchen, with kitchen paper on the floor, whilst spitting up the blood. The ambulance guys arrived about 10 minutes later, at which point the bleeding had stopped. All together I lost about a 1/4 of a pint of blood.

I had to stay over night at the hospital, it didn't bleed again, so I was sent home, with yet MORE medication.

Before I had my tonsilectomy, I read lots of horror stories about peoples Tonsils bleeding (which to be honest, didn't help my nerves!). So I thought I'd write a positive story, but not one where everything was ok!

Yes, the bleeding was scary, I've lost about 7pounds through not eating, and haven't really got up off the sofa! But I still think this one of the best decision of my life.

I'm 2nd day post op. No bleeding, not even during the operation apparently.

Pain is excruciating and the pain killers hardly help now, but chewing gum helps a little bit.