Hi all :-D

I’m 26 and I’ve been having tonsillitis every 3 months for the past 4 years and it’s been ruining my life, my career, my social life and generally making me miserable. :'(

For the past 2 years I’ve been fighting with my GP be referred to an ENT to talk about getting a tonsillectomy, however the Dr's at my surgery kept refusing to reffer me saying that the procedure is ineffective and not worth it. However I finally saw an ENT on Friday who within 5 mins told me I should have a tonsillectomy. And I'm scheduled for the start of October.

I’m overjoyed and terrified at the same time %-) . I know that it is VERY painful and I’ve read all the horror stories on this board and that coupled with my GP saying it doesn’t work makes me really scared. I want to know if I’m doing the right thing by having the op, I’m willing to go through the pain as long as the procedure will ultimately make an improvement to my life.

I guess what I really want to know is despite all the pain, in the end is it worth it? Is the procedure truly beneficial, has it stopped you getting as ill? I know you can still get colds etc but if it stops the tonsillitis then to me it would be worth it. Are there any long term side effects, like being more prone to infections? Or do you generally get sick less often? Do you get infections on the scars etc? Are you pleased that you done it? Also I’m in the UK, has anyone had this procedure done in the RAH?

I would be SO grateful if anyone who has been through this could give me some feedback, it would really mean a lot to me. Thanks so much for your help! :-D

I had the same problem, but I was 15 at the time. It was worth it to me, mainly because I was not constantly sick anymore. I did have a bad experience, I had bad bleeding a day after and stopped it on my own. This only led to a clot that kept opening, but that was all due to my own neglect. My ENT told me that I would get more sore throats and coughs, but overall the tonsillitis would be gone. The pain isn't that bad, just the hunger gets to you after a while. If you are getting it every 3 months I suggest you just do it. It will improve your life, you won't get sick with tonsilitis constantly, and don't be afraid it tends to be a very simple procedure.

I am 36 years old and had my tonsils out three years ago after thirty years of ear/nose/throat infections. I can tell you that the surgery was nothing compared to the constant sickness I've endured from something as simple as tonsils. Lets not even think about the continuous antibiotic use. Since having them out I have not had ONE sore throat in the last three years! During the last two years of tonsil hell, I was skipping straight to strep throat, so in my opinion the surgery totally was worth it.

I had my tonsils out at age 22 and it was the most painful thing I've EVER been through. I also had my appendix out prior to that and I would take that again over a tonsilectomy! I wouldn't recommend it as an adult unless it's absolutely necessary!!! Not only that, but don't we have tonsils for a reason?!

Hello everybody.
I am in the same situation. I have tonsillitis very often now. It's been happening since winter i guess or maybe before. So about 1 year now.I keep feeling like i have something in my throat(mucosa),i can try to get it out but it doesn't work so much and it makes me like cough trying to get it out of the way.It doesn't let me breathe well trough my nose. I often sleep with my mouth open.I see pus very often, i don't think i stay healthy for 2 months. Maybe it never really goes away. If i go to the doctor he'll just give me antibiotics,I'm tired of them and i won't take them. In the winter I am sick like all the time. But in the summer i used to be fine, i got sore throat from time to time but now it's too much. I'm considering tonsillectomy. Can the specialist actually tell me if this is a good decision for me? I am actually scared of needles i panic and cry even when i go to make blood tests. Never had a surgery. I don't wanna take a bad decision. What do you think?
Thank you
Quote:

I had my tonsils taken out about 3 months ago at the age of 19. I had always suffered from tonsillitis, sore throats, etc. Finally I went to the ENT and he scheduled a surgery for me. I am not going to lie...it was so painful. Although I was given pain killers I did not want to take too many as it made me nauseous. I spent about a week crying and regretting my decision due to the pain. I lost 10 pounds when I decided to start making an effort to eat something. I mostly ate soup and jello and that was painful and hard to swallow. I started recovering and about 1 week after the pain was all gone and I could swallow normally at about 2 weeks. 3 months later I am so happy with my choice of tonsillectomy. I have not gotten sick at all and have so much more energy. Before I felt sluggish, fatigued, and depressed. Now I am full of energy and in better health.

Hi Stephanym could you please talk a bit more about your energy levels etc do you think the fatigue was due to the tonsils ? thank you :)

hi,i am too facing the tonsillites problem from last 14 years and finally i am planning for tonsillectomy.so,can you tell me which surgery have you gone through?it was coblation tonsillectomy or laser tonsillectomy or some other method?