Hi, my 3 year old son had an adenotonsillectomy. We are on day 5 now. Last night he had clotted blood covering his tongue and teeth and I could see a dark red clot on one side of where his tonsils were. He drank some water and there was no active bleeding. He was coughing and choking all night long last night and had bloody fingers, lips, tongue and teeth this morning but has been fine since. Any advice on this? Shoul I be concerned?
Thanks!!

I suggest you contact your doctor. i am trying to get more information in regard to post tonsillectomy for people to cope with. Please inform me what the doctor tell you..

If you haven't already, I urge you to call your Dr. immediately. My 5 year old son had his tonsils out on March 8th and had similar bleeding on March 17th. He ended up vomiting up a large amount of blood and his Dr. had us take him right to the emergency room. He had to have an emergency operation to stop the bleeding and it turns out he was bleeding in 3 different places in his throat and his stomach was FULL of blood. He almost died so I am begging you and anyone else not to wait in contacting your Dr. if you see bleeding after a tonsilectomy.

I AGREE MY 2 YR OLD WAS BLEEDING. CALLED HIS DOC HE SAID TO JUST WATCH HIM BROUGHT HIM TO THE ER AND THEY SENT HIM HOME ON ORDERS OF HIS SURGEON.3 HRS LATER TGOOK HIM TO A DIFFERENT ER. HE STARTED THROWING UP BLOOD AND CLOTS AND BLOOD WAS COMING OUT OF HIS NOSE THEY DID EMERGENY SURGERY AND HAD TO PUMP BLOOD FROM HIS TUMMY. IT STARTED WITH JUST A LITTLE BIT. NO BLOOD IS NORMAL SO DON'T LET ANYONE TELL YOU OTHERWISE

We did end up taking him to the ER a few days later, as he had a mouthful of bright red blood. He was dehydrated, was not bleeding when we got there. He was jsut monitered and put on IV fluids very heavily for a few hrs, and then was feeling MUCH better. Should have taken him earlier I think, but did not need to go back into surgery!

I had the tonsillectomy and adenoids done on dec 15. Later on I started throwing up blood from my mouth and my nose and it was just huge clots and the surgeon said to get rid of the bleeding to have half of peroxide and half cold water and gargle with it until the spit doesn't have any blood in it. I went to the ER after doing that cause I was still having blood come out, after being in the hospital for 3 days the bleeding had stop. You should call the surgeon/hospital and if it gets real bad keeps vomiting the blood take your child to the hospital. I currently am going through the recovery as of now.

I had a tonsilectomy and adenoidectomy on december 23. 1 week later I threw up blood and blood clots. The throwing up stopped after everything came up two times. My mom rushed me to the er where I was on iv. The bleeding had stopped by the time we got there we were told. But I did become very dehydrated from the episode. I was released 4 hours later. My surgeon said everything looked ok, and bleeding by this time period is common.

I'm currently in the same situation. My son had his tonsils and adenoids taken out a week ago and last night was take to the emergency room vomiting large amounts of blood . Surgery was needed to recorderize the area .. how is your boy now and how did you prevent it from happening again . -(biggest fear)

you can't prevent it from happening. I just recently came from the ER after waking up in my sleep throwing up blood. Turns out i had clotted blood on both tonsils that went into my stomach and had to go back into surgery to take it out. I had a similar episode a day before that the doctor instructed me to gargle ice cold water til it went away. The next day i was in the ER and needed Post op surgery. Don't wait to go to the ER if you're throwing up blood. I'm in more pain than I was to begin with after a second surgery.