is it ok to drink alcohol 1 week before a tonsillectomy,
its my 20th bday and my friend is throwing me a party?
i'm in college and was also wondering how long i have to wait after my tonsillectomy before i can start drinking alcohol?

I am curious about the same thing. I am 11 days post surgery. Really want a cocktail!!! any thoughts??

I am 25yo male - day 6 post tonsillectomy. I asked the same questions when I was in hospital as I also like to drink.

Firstly - no worries about drinking before. Don't do it within 24 hours (you don't want any in your system for the operation) but 1 week before will have no effect.

As for after - they told me generally 2 weeks. First, you shouldn't drink when you are taking antibiotics or pain killers (except for plain paracetamol). But anything with codeine or oxycodone (or smiliar) should never be mixed with alcohol.

I was eager to drink after surgery but now the pain has increased I couldn't think of anything worse.

As long as you're not on pills and you feel up to it, go for it.

I waited approximately 3 weeks for the first cocktail. Even then it was just wine or a margarita, no shots until maybe 6 weeks. The bubbles from champagne will feel weird.

Today is day 10 post-opt from my tonsillectomy. I'm wondering what people who had this surgery heard or experienced as far as alcohol comsumption after? 2 weeks? 3 weeks? Beer first? someone helppp, i feels like its been forever!

I am 18 years old and 10 days post-opt from my tonsillectomy and removal of adnoids. I've heard different things as far as wait-time until alcohol should be consumed. Can someone who has had the surgery or knows help me out here? 2 weeks? 3 weeks? Is beer better first? helpppp

Perhaps this is just my logic, but alcohol thins the blood. I don't think it's a good idea to drink for at least three weeks--aka when all the scabs have fallen off. You want new tissue to be secure, so you're not a risk for bleeding.

Has anyone ever had shots come out your nose?? Also still can't blow up a balloon either and it's been 9months

I had my tonsils taken out about 2 weeks ago and am feeling fine.
I healed pretty quickly, and as dumb as it may sound, drank a beer 5 or 6 days after surgery.
Other than the carbonation, it went down fine.
3 days later I was at a friends birthday, and took a few Vodka shots.
The first one stung a bit, but the others went down fine.
I may not be the best at example following, and it's probably best you don't drink, but I am perfectly fine; alcohol did not negatively affect me or the healing.

i got my tonsils on the 8th and i just got back to school and was wondering how long i should wait until i start drinking? and if so should i try drinking beer over liquor?

I had alcohol come out of my nose when I drank a whiskey and coke 4 days after I had my tonsils removed. don't drink beer...too much carbonation

i had mine taken out 5 days ago and im going fricken insane. theres a big party tonight and i really wanna drink=[ whats the worst that could happen?

i had my tonsillectomy 5 days ago. the day after surgery i consumed about half a glass of white wine. i don't recommend beer because of the yeast. the white wine actually helped, however i am also prescribed liquid hydrocodone so i made sure not to have any in my system at least 4 hours before drinking a bit.

about 2 weeks one or two beer will be fine but not more then that!

i had my tonsils taken out 2 days ago, and theres no beating around the bush, its really really sore!! im 26 and the older you are the worse it is. All i would advise is take your meds on time every day and as the effects of the meds come and go time it right to get ood into your system. It really helps, the more you eat the cleaner and quicker it will heal. Also water.....loads of it, as much as you can force down.
As for Alcohol, you wont even feel like it so dont bother! i would give it 1 - 2 weeks anyways, but as answer below says, dont take booze with meds..dangerous. just heal up and then party!
Cheeers