Hi everyone, I am scouring the internet looking for answers. I am pretty desperate. My sister, mother, maternal- grandmother and great-grandmother all have had symptoms associated with hormone imbalance such as mood disorders, low libido, adult acne, fibroids, cycts, PMS, irregular and/or exceptionally painful periods. The problems actually stem back to childhood with depression issues, insomnia, food craving and constant hunger. We have no problem getting pregnant.

When I went to an endocrinologist, he found a "pearl necklace" of cysts on only my right ovary and announced a diagnosis of PCOS. However, all the blood-work came back normal. I am going crazy. He is telling me that there is nothing wrong with me but he will give me a birth control pill to control my periods. He suggested a dermo. for my acne. There is a clear history of something in my family and I am not willing to give up looking for it. I refuse to simply treat the symptoms...for my own daughters sake.

I have found both secondary APS and Non-classic 21 OHD as possibilities but i need more info before I go back to the Dr....he is going to think that I am a hypochondriac.. If anyone can point me in the right direction I would be eternally grateful. I have even considered liver metabolism of estrogen as a genetic disorder but I can't find any info on this. However, I had HELLP syndrome with my first child and this is a condition caused by autoimmune problems which the secondary APS and PCOS are.

Is it possible to have "normal" labs and still have PCOS?

Thanks for reading this...I know that it is long.

Thanks,
diggendeep

Hi I know it has been a while since you posted this, but am wondering if you have found any more information? I have had blood work come back unbalanced on and off again for several years. I am 25 and used to suffer from eating disorders which I'm sure stemmed from my depression and weight issues that began not long after puberty.

None of my blood work was taken seriously in the past and was always blamed on the eating disorders. I was put on birth control at the age of 16 because my period had stopped and it was seen as being a result of low body weight, of course.

However since then I have been on and off birth control and have had very irregular periods. It's only been within the last 2 years that I have tried to stay off birth control for longer periods of time and am definitely not overweight but have not had a period at all in over 6 months - they finally take me serious.

My LH and FSH hormones are unbalanced and consistent with the ratio of PCOS. I have suffered from pretty much all the common symptoms that you had listed. I've done extensive internet research in the last few days and I will tell you this, I believe PCOS is very real and very different for everyone that has it. My blood sugar is fine now but definitely wasnt once when it was checked last summer. My thyroid was also off then and is fine now. I've had other work that has been off at other times of my life and not sometimes. It is driving me crazy because I've been put on the run around for years. I've had pain in my stomach/ovaries but ultrasound last summer showed nothing, of course then the doctor was looking for ovarian cysts and not polycystic ovaries so it might have been harder to see.

I am beginning to come to the conclusion that the hormone imbalance associated with PCOS can cause different imbalances at different times. You can have polycystic ovaries without actually being able to see them and vice versa according to one place that I found information but cannot remember it. I would say that those of us suffering from this condition need to be on birth control, watch our carb intake and exercise to limit possibility of diabetes and high insulin levels, and should consistently check our thyroid since hypothyroidism is commonly associated.