Hello! I was recently discovered enlargement of the spleen. My doctor says it should be removed and he also says I have to lose weight. I was always over weight and I tried to lose weight many times but I didn't succeed. I also have problems with sleep apnea. I snore (my wife says so) and I feel tired during the day. My tonsils are enlarged due to many infections and I was told that they obstructed the air flow. My doctor also said I should have them removed. Can I have a tonsillectomy and splenectomy surgeries at the same time?

Hello! I don't think so. Such surgeries are never done at the same time since they are completely different. You should do one surgery at the time. Every surgery bears the risk; I don't think it is vise to double it. Splenectomy is the surgical removal of the spleen and it is being done in general anesthesia. It will take four to six week for complete healing. You should know that you will be at an increased risk of infections, especially those caused by pneumococcal bacteria and you should have a pneumonia vaccination. Tonsillectomy is safe and effective surgery and you will recover in a week or two.