I am 6 weeks post op from a tummy tuck. I feel worse now than when I first had the operation. In the last week my stomach has swelled up with fluid to the point where I look pregnant and it is very painful and tender. I had a weight lass surgery 5 years ago and my doctor tells me that this is normal due to my gastric bypass and the amount of skin still on my body. She drained it today but, it is still very swollen. Is this normal and why did this occur 5 weeks after my surgery? Will my body absorb the fluid that is causing the swelling?

Hello! I don’t think that this swelling is abnormal only 6 weeks post –op because my mom’s friend was drained like 10 times in the first 3 months after the surgery and she told us many women had the same problem. She was applying a lot of compression over the area that was drained in order for the skin to adhere and close up that space that was collecting the fluid.

She said she met a woman at the clinic to had 3 corrective surgeries-now that sounds scary. How are you feeling anyway? It took my mom’s friend a year to fully recovery and stops talking about it. The trouble is she is not dieting and I can’t understand how come she isn’t taking care of herself now when she went through so much trouble and is aware that all the fat could come back if she didn’t took care of it.

Anyway, I just wanted to let you know that you are not the only one with post-op swelling and that you have a long way to go but be persistent, don’t lose your faith and everything will be ok! Good luck!

I think any time you are the "Abnormal" patient in a normal surgery, things can be difficult. Clearly (at least to me) the drains were removed too soon for you. Every patient is different. A great deal of patients want them removed and the Dr's remove them early with a wish that things will go smoothly to make the patient happy. Let's face it the drains are a pain!!! They are the most negative aspect of abdominoplasty when patients are polled as to what they hated the worse about their surgery. I was the "Abnormal" patient too...but I had a Surgeon who didn't allow my grumling to sway him and I had drains in for three weeks. It wasn't fun and two drains tore but....I never had to be drained via needle and at three weeks my body was able to absorb the excess fluid. YEAH!!! I had a colectomy twice prior ( first a partial of the colon and small intestines were removed and then a second surgery of a Total Open Colectomy and a Splenectomy (to remove the rest of the colon and spleen) five months prior to my abdominoplasty) so I was the "Abnormal" patient as well. I am 11 weeks post-op now. Also remember to wear the proper binder. You need a snug fit, especially in a case like ours, don't go by any time frame, go by need. If your tummy isn't completely back to a flat state you need a binder still. Afterall a nice flat tummy is why we had abdominoplasty in the first place (right?) I'm sure by now you are a expert at the "no cola...eat small meals...avoid gassy foods thing" but if you have to go back to the basics...what you ate after the by-pass. It helped me anyway...our original surgeries are quite simular in some ways...only my by-passed organs were discarded. Did you have a Open by-pass or a Closed surgery? Both of my prior surgeries were very much Open so I have a T abdominoplasty incision. I also had a second surgery for additional procedures which included lipo of my abdomen. (Great idea by the way for contouring of the tummy area in cases like ours). Hang in there and by three months things will appear very differntly. Remember to continue to eat a low fat diet. It is a "forever" life choice I have learned. (I'm sure I don't have to tell you?) My good friend had abdominoplasty a few years back after abdominal surgery such as ours. She also had some of the set backs but after 6 months looked great. Unfortunately she took this surgery as a free ride to eat what ever she choose to. After three years she is now bigger in size than ever. It is very sad. I wonder what happens to the body in such a case of major post-abdominoplasty weight gain but I love her too much to ask. It does keep me on the straight and narrow however. This is a side note but my dearest Friend is looking into having by-pass surgery. She weighs in the neighborhood of four bills....do you have any advice for her that you would care to share? She is a single parent of three children (with no contact from the Father). Realistically how much recovery time does by-pass surgery need? Her children are 7, 11 and 13. The eleven and thirteen year old children are very mature and out side from driving themselves are pretty low matenance and great kids. The seven year old is ...well a seven year old little boy...he is darling but a handfull at times. Going by your surgery as a guildline how soon could you have cared for a second graders needs (even Ballpark would be of great help)! I know some things would have to be put on hold for her to recover so mostly I'm wondering about driving? The 13 year old is a girl and very capable of light household duties. The obesity is taking it's tole on her health and she is realizing something needs to be done soon for the love and the sake of the children. Thank you in advance for any advice and congradulations of weight loss and abdominoplasty....Happiness is just around the corner!!!

My surgery was done in Tijuana. I came home withing 24 hours and never had to take pain killers. Kept my drain for 1 week. Slept downstairs in sofa bed and kept my legs elevated and bent most of the time.

I wear a binder that was provided by the surgeon. I have taken it off 3 times during showers and had it washed and dried. I do find wearing it helps.

I increased my weight about 5 pounds the first week. This second week I focused on my regime of eating extraordinarily healthy and careful. Tuna and salads and special k and of course fruits which I love.

I am back down to the exact weight I was prior surgery. I still am slightly swollen but feel awesome. My stomach is tight and I am careful. I take rest time if needed. Today I walked the mall up and down (my croc flip flops).

I went out and saw friends who did not even notice a thing.

I really believe you should drink fluids, and watch your intake after the second week. I also have taken iron pills since the first day I returned from the surgery (The Dr. suggested no other medications or vitamins for 2 weeks.. except the antibiotics he gave.

I look and feel amazing after only 2 weeks.

I am surprised about your swelling.. review what you are doing and eating. Could you be doing too much and not resting? Could you be eating something that caused and allergic reaction? I swell with cinammon. But I love eating it in cakes~

I hope you feel better

I am a mother of 3 and had to have a hysterectomy a year ago; I've always thought about having a tummy tuck after child birth and after 11 years, finally decided to do it. I am 3 weeks post op and was still hunched over. I had noticed after the first week that I seemed to be getting worse rather batter. The swelling became enormous on the left side and top middle part of my stomache; I couldnt understand why but though it was normal. I wasnt in any pain, just discomfort from the tightness and the inabilty to stand up straight. FINALLY- I know what the problem was and is- I went to my 3 week post op appointment and my Doctor was shocked that I still was not satnding straight. As I took off my binder, he immediately said- Oh my you have fluid build up. I was drained today with a needle- It wasnt painful- It felt much better after the extra fluid was drained- I was actually able to satnd up a little better-I have to return next week to be drained again- I have to say that recpovery has not been easy for me and rather frustrating but this is what I wanted to I will roll with the punches :-) Any similiar stories out there and any word of advice- Thank you..

I am 15 weeks into my tummy tuck and still swollen and sore. No infection. I do have some lumps up and down the incision line. Is anyone else out there having this same issue?

I am a little over two weeks past my surgery...I had a mini tuck. My doc took the drains out 4 days ago...there was an infection around one of the drains i.e. pus, etc...had a fever. I have been wearing my binder every day except for showers...very uncomfortable. My question is that it is obvious that I will need to be aspirated given the fluid build up...I look just like I did pre-op...1. Does this hurt? 2. How much fluid typically comes out? 3. Do docs ever put the drains back in? 4. How long will this go on...I completely underestimated the post op impact. Very frustrated.

Thanks

WOW I'm feeling sorry for you guys. Evidently I worked with some amazing surgeons. My drains stayed in for about 5 weeks. I had 2, each located about 3 inches in from either hip. I followed the operating surgeon's instructions on after-care to the letter. I wore my binding 24-hours a day, only taking it off to shower, and I did that as little as possible, because it felt too strange to take it off. I wore the surgical binding for about 8 weeks, alternating this with a waist-cincher for a few hours during the day after 6 weeks. Because my surgeon is located on the west coast and I live on the east, I followed up with a local surgeon. The local surgeon handled my care from staple removal on. At 3 weeks I went to see him about removing the drains. He said no, there was still bloody fluid in the drains. At four weeks I begged him to take them out, because there was fluid he still wouldn't. Finally at 5 weeks, because the draining was only minimal and mostly clear, he then removed the drains. My only complication from full tummy tuck surgery was cosmetic, and was repaired about a year later by the original surgeon with beautiful results. I have the flattest stomach ever and a visible six-pack. I researched surgeons all over the country before I allowed a surgeon to slice me open. Don't get scammed by South American doctors. Don't waste your money on NY or LA surgeons. AND don't get it done in podunk wherever you live. There is an amazing surgeon out west somewhere, in the land of Mormons, near a lake that's kind of salty. He does some of the most amazing work in the country, does alot of repairs to crappy plastic surgery, and his fees are comparable to South American prices. If you are reading this because you are considering a tummy tuck, you should find the surgeon I used and check him out.

this is my 4 week and I must say i had a great doctor my drains stay in for 3 weeks and I had a total of 4 due to breast reduction and tummy tuck. my scars are completly healed nicely, except that i'm still not uprigth and its very frustrating I knew the recovery would be long, but 4 weeks still not 100% i'm about 90%

When do you finallly get uprigth?, I feel very weird going out bend over..

I am three weeks past my tummy tuck and it looks like I have been in a train wreck! I have long pulled places above the incision, is this normal? One side of my stomach is much much larger than the other and my belly button won't quit draining. Please tell me this will eventually get a lot better. When I went back for my last check-up the doctor tried to drain my stomach but nothing came out. I am very worried. Thanks, Patty

Hi I just got a tummy tuck this is my 3rd week, I also had what you said fluid build up I looked pregnant, my doctor saw no sign of this but I was infected in my stomach. If your stomach gets real red,m and hot, puss coming from belly button see help. I was almost hospitalized but he put me on antibolotics and a damn drain back in I feel much better, and it looks better. I hope I helped some

:'( I HAD A TUMMY TUCK OVER 1 MONTH AGO, I HAD MY DRAINS IN
BUT THEY LOST SUCTION. SO FOR FOUR VISITS WE DRAINED BY NEEDLE
HE FINALLY CUT A SMALL HOLE WHICH I HAVE FOR TWO WEEKS. MY SKIN IS HARD AS A ROCK FROM PUSHING AND TRYING TO FILL UP THE
DRAIN WITH THE NEEDLE. WHAT DOES THIS MEAN WHEN YOUR SKIN IS
HARD AS A ROCK. HE TOLD ME TO USE A ROLLING PIN WHICH I KEEP
MASSAGING WITH MY HAND. I CAN'T STAND TO FEEL ANYTHING AGAINST MY SKIN. HE SAID IT COULD TAKE UP TO 2 MONTHS WITH
THE HOLE I HAVE. CAN SOMEBODY TELL ME MORE ABOUT THE ROCK
HARD SKIN AND WILL IT GO AWAY?

HI I HAD A TUMMY TUCK 11 DAYS AGO AND WAS A GREAT COMFORT TO KNOW THAT THE BUILD UP OF FLUID IS NORMAL, PHEW THOUGHT I WAS GONNA DIE LOL, :$ IVE LOST5 STONE AND NEEDED IT , BUT RECOVERY IS PRETTY GRIM!!! ANY IDEAS HOW LONG THE FLUILD STAYS??? ITS ON MY RIGINAGHT HAND SIDE AND ITS ANNOYIN WHEN IM WALKING ??

I had a tummy tuck with lipo almost 6 weeks ago. I went back to the doctor yesterday and he told me that I could start going without the binder, but I could still wear it when I felt the need as well. I was so excited to get rid of that dang then, but half-way through today I just felt like my belly was going to poke back out or something (impossible, I know, but it didn't feel right). For those who've had this done, how long did you wear the binder and did you totally quit wearing it all of the sudden or did you wean off? If you wore it part time, did you wear it during the day or at night?

I had a tummy tuck 2 1/2 weeks ago and my stomach feels so bloated. The lower pare is kind of hard and sticks out- I look fat. Any one have thoughts? Is this normal? How lond does it take for this darn swelling to go down- I am miserable.