Please give me a brief discription of tonsillectomy?

Hi:
I am not a surgeon, so I cannot give you the details, however perhaps one of our members can. A tonsillectomy, as you know, is the removal of your tonsils. For adults, the recovery time is longer than it is for children. It can also be very uncomfortable and painful. The first week after the surgery will involve a very sore throat. You will not be able to eat solid foods for a couple of weeks, however, you will be required to drink fluids, and that will be painful. However, the doctor will be able to prescribe meds for the pain. I read one post last week where the member had experienced a very manageable and non-traumatic recovery period. However, most members say that the recovery period is quite painful and uncomfortable. Talk to your personal surgeon about his experiences as a surgeon; his success rate and the real facts about the surgery. He/she can best answer your questions. Your success during the surgery will depend somewhat on your state of mind. You may not be completely comfortable with the surgery. I'm not sure that anyone ever is. However, the more you know, the more prepared you can be. Let us know how you are doing. Good luck!

What sort of description would you like? Do you want to know about the actual procedure or do you want to know about the recovery phase? It's not a very invasive procedure. You are put under general anesthesia and the tonsils are removed through the neck or through the mouth, depending on the situation. Then the recovery can go from four to six weeks during which time swallowing can be difficult. Is that what you are looking for or are you looking for something more?