My father is 45 years old and yesterday he felt extreme eye pain, in left eye only. Beside this, he was complaining about sudden decrease of vision. I am worried why this is happening with him. I am afraid he might get blinds. Can you tell me what could it be, what do you think is it possible to be glaucoma, and how he might treat this condition?

First, I have to say that condition your father has, requires doctor’s examination. I could give you info about eye pain and treatment, but that would be not enough to help him. Your duty is to tell him make an emergency appointment with an ophthalmologist, he will check cause and give me appropriate treatment. Glaucoma is one of the reasons someone might got extreme eye pain. Off course, that is not the only one disorder, which causes eye pain. Check with your father if he feels nausea, headaches, and if he vomits. Those are signs he might be considered for glaucoma diagnosis. Then, he will, as most patients with glaucoma, requires only medication to control the eye pressure. Sometimes, several medications are necessary to reduce the pressure adequately. Surgery is indicated when medical treatment fails to lower the pressure satisfactorily, but that is something that his doctor will decide. First, they need to give him right diagnosis and discover why he feels eye pain in left eye only.