I want to know if anyone has beaten an Adderall or Meth addiction by using a step down method. I've been told that it's possible, using this specific chemical cocktail to get off of heavy meth/amphetamine use, while leaving enough energy to maintain employment. Basically, stepping off of hardcore stimulants to a safer alternative without the risk potential for addiction. I'm already taking the Wellbutrin for depression, and have Valium for occasional anxiety (only took Valium twice last year).

50mg Atarax
400mg Gabantin
200mg Provigil
10mg Valium
150mg Wellbutrin

I'll tell you upfront that quitting cold turkey is NOT a viable option. I was diagnosed with ADHD 10yrs ago. My doctor prescribed me Adderall. It started out at a low dosage, then gradually went upwards until I was at 90mgs of Adderall per day. Shortly, thereafter, it turned into various combination's of Adderall XR, regular amphetamine salts, dexadrine spanules, and Desoxyn (pharmaceutical methamphetamine). The doctor ended up getting caught in a kickback scheme that involved herself and several pharmaceutical representatives. Obviously, I was already hooked and needed another doctor. I soon realized that most doctors did not want to prescribe Desoxyn, so I had to self-medicate. I started buying glass, ice, or whatever you want to call methamphetamine. Fast forward to today, and I've successfully stayed off meth for 4 years, and have whittled myself down to 40mg Adderall per day. Unfortunately, I don't have the option for the 2 - 4 weeks needed for home detoxification. I have the closest thing to an opportunity, here today. I'm desperate. I have fallen so far; that I'm a shell of my former self. I'm hanging by a thread. Please help me if you've had any experience with this.

Your story really hit home for me and I really feel for you. I wish I had an answer for the both of us. I have quit a 20 year addiction to meth for 2 years now and have been left with depression that does not respond to any medication. That is until my Dr. prescribed Adderrall XR. I have been taking 50mg per day for 3 months now and the first 2 were great. This last month has been horrible because I have built up a tolerance (big surprise) Now I am stuck because I dont want to go through withdrawals again. I dont think I can take it. I am scared my Dr wont increase my dosage so I am left with the same thing you are facing.

All I know is that I cant wean myself off of meth. I have tried a million times. I have an appt with my Dr today so I'll let you know if he is taking me off Adderall and if so, how he suggests going through it.

Take care and you are not alone.

YES! Please let me know if you find out anything. I'm really scared, but I really appreciate your reply. I was starting to worry that my situation was just too much to post. Anyway, I wish you good luck with your doctor. Take care.

Hi Again,

My appt went ok. I bought some more time but I am sure that I am just postponing the pain. I have been on 50mg AdderallXR /day and he upped my dose to 60. I am pretty sure there wont be that much difference as my body knows all about this chemical. My Dr said that this is the max dosage that he can give me so I am eventually facing a decision. I am trying to come to terms with starting all over in getting clean.

I have never detoxed from Adderall but I have from Meth a million times. I imagine that they are about the same intensity and I am so not looking forward to it. It kills me that I allowed myself to get here again. As soon as I began taking this medication, I knew I was in trouble and I ignored it because it was so nice to have energy and motivation and to actually accomplish things that normal people do.

I know, so far no help...Before I started on Adderrall, I had almost 2 years clean of all substances except for Wellbutrin. This is how I did it. After maybe 3 days of being just miserable, I got my butt up early and went to an AA meeting that started at 7am. The first thing I did before I got clean was go in the bathroom and get my fix of meth so I tried to replace that because that was the most difficult hurdle for me. I did that everyday for a year. If you go to the same meeting everyday, you will run in to the same people everyday and you will slowly become a part of the group. In the early morning meetings, you will mostly find people who are really serious about changing their lives and I cant tell you what it is but it helps so much. It takes the edge off and makes it a little easier to make through the day. It really is a wonderful way to start your day.

I thought of something that might help also is those little "6 hour energy" drinks at the check out counter of 7-11. I have taken them a few times and they did help with focus and energy without the crash of Monster or Red Bull. Dont stop taking Wellbutrin because it helps also.

I wont lie to you, it was really hard to function for awhile as far as all the chores/work/kids that I have to do. It sounds like you are trying to stay employed and I had gotten to the point where there was no way possible for me to work. If there is any way to take a leave of some sort, maybe go on disability. This is going to take everything you have and if you can, save your reputation/reference. It took me way longer than 10 days to become functional again, I was nuts. After a couple of months though, I began to feel like I had hope again and I went to college for the first time in my life at 43. I finished with a 3.65 gpa but still couldnt get my stupid laundry done. There were many trade offs. I began to enjoy being around people again and was so in touch with my children. I actually felt alive again and was proud of myself. My house was tore up though and it really bothered me. I mean it was really bad and I could not do anything to change that. It got a little better over time. I was able to do my dishes without a fix and eventually I didnt have a problem doing the dishes. It was like I had to practice doing one thing at a time without drugs until I got used to it.

Looking back, I wish I would have never taken the Adderall because now I must start all over again. My house is clean but I hate everyone and everything especially myself.

I know that it seems to be only a physical dependence but it really is not. It is way more. It is a mental and spiritual dependence as well. I really hope that you can take the time to heal you body, mind and spirit. It is possible and it is worth it. Say a little prayer because He is listening and He knows your pain.

I am not sure if any of this helped but I certainly wish you the best because I really really know what you are going through and it is hard and I will be going through it again in a couple of weeks because I want off this ride...

Thanks for your prompt reply. I'm very concerned about transitioning/downtime that appears unavoidable. I've inherited two pets from my previous relationship w/my ex. I mention this because they are the equivalent of children to me. They give unconditional love... Therefore, I am responsible for reciprocating their needs (food, shelter, health & love). Meaning, that dog + cat + job = 247 potential for highly stressful situations. I'm aware that it doesn't seem feasible, nor likely, to just call a timeout. However, I am interested in hearing more about your experience. You said, "Before I started on Adderrall, I had almost 2 years clean of all substances except for Wellbutrin". During that two years of being clean, how long was it before you could actually function (job, school, etc) semi-normally?? In your opinion, is it possible to regain normal dopamine levels, cognitive skills, and any other possible physiological damage cause by heavy/long-term stimulant usage?? When you said, "I actually felt alive again and was proud of myself". I felt encouraged and inspired. Also, congratulations on earning a 3.65 GPA. You've accomplished so much. Especially, considering all the obstacles that come with speed addiction. I'm confident that you'll be successful at kicking this evil drug. You had a little fall. Get up and dust off. You've done it before. I think its a given, that true success only occurs after failure. My problem is I'm paralyzed w/fear... So, I do nothing. This is a true failure! As long as you keep on getting up, you cannot fail. I'm very grateful for you sharing your experience. It gives me hope, that now is my time! God Bless.

I am so happy that you found some hope in my reply. Sometimes people dont want to hear about anything other than a chemical solution to this problem. I know I have felt that way. I understand being paralyzed with fear. It is a terrible feeling. I want to point out that you have already come a long way toward being free. You have put meth down for four years and all of those other meds, not to mention getting down to 40mg of Adderall. You have alot of strength already. Someone said to me one time (and I use it often) "What do you have to lose? We will gladly refund your misery. A light went on for me and I decided to try living clean because I realized that it was always there waiting for me to return to.

I will try to answer some of your questions now. When I first started out, there would have been absolutely no way that I could have made it through the first month without the support of people that have been through the same thing. Meaning struggling through the sickness and all the thoughts and feelings that come with it I alone am very weak but I found hope, caring, freindship and reality in meetings of Alcoholics Anonymous. I dont know if you are familiar with the 12 step programs or not but there is one called Narcotics Anonymous. I dont know how drinking has played a part in your life but surely you have earned a seat in Narcotics Anonymous. Or if that doesnt seem to feel right, I know there are groups of people with mental health issues that meet to support each other. Anyway the bottom line is that I needed that support on a daily basis to take the edge off. I cant explain it but it helped so much. Let me know if you need any info about that.

I got clean on June 24, 2007 and was able to return to school in the fall semester at the end of August. (I was using during the first year) When I returned clean, I only took a half load instead of full time. Then Spring semester I took 3/4 load. It was a slow process but day by day I kept pluggin along and even when I had bad days I always had hope that it would pass and I would feel better. The Well butrin helped but I still suffer from horrible depression and there have been times when it would last for awhile. Then I would feel better. Even during the darkest days there was this underlying feeling that it was still better being clean than being loaded.

I speak from the heart and the truth is that it is positively worth it to be free of mind altering chemicals. You get to look people in the eye and not be ashamed of yourself. You get to participate in your life instead of "maybe some day I will do such n such" The best thing is the depth of the love that my children and I had. I say had because the Adderall has put that same old barrier between me and the people I love.

I hope I answered your questions and again I wish you the best. You can do it If you mess up (like me) you can try again. You will learn alot about yourself and you will be blessed in ways that you would never expect and never knew that you wanted.

Again, thanks for the insight and knowledge. I've have pondered many nights about attending Narcotics Anonymous. I've looked at their website several times, wondering what the meetings might be like. I rationalized that I didn't need that much help. Obviously, I'm disillusioned with denial. I just haven't had the guts to go. Probably, because I know that reality is going to suck... And I'm afraid of it. I've gone so far as finding all the NA locations close to my home. I procrastinate on pulling the trigger. I would like to know something about the program. Would I have to stand before the group and talk about myself (1st meeting)?? I'm really anti-social, and terrified of public speaking (I'm still going, just curious). I recall you commenting on looking people in the eye. These days, I force myself to make eye contact, even though I'm being truthful. Sadly, I was raised to always look folks in the eye; thoroughly substantiating my needing help. I feel fortunate for hearing from someone gracious enough to share their experience. I cannot express the importance of this, for me personally.

i slept for 15 days straight.. i got over it.. do it.. it works.. i was takimg 240mg a day. sleep for 15 days... u will be ok.. i promise u.. i did it.. u could too..

I eat somewhere close to 400mg of Vyvanse a day, and I shoot and snort meth and although these people sympathize for you, there is no cure. Ive been to rehab three times and Ive tried sleeping for months it seemed (at least two and a half weekd). Its just not going to work. Best thing to do is quit buying meth and give your adderrall bottle to someone you trust so they can lock it up and only give you one a day. Of course you can try finding other things youd rather get high on instead, but heroin is an awful idea because you can speedball not even knowing youre still geeked up from yesterday. I dont know what to tell ya, but good luck.

Hello, I just stumbled upon this website and just happened to see this particular "discussion/question/comments..?". Anyways, I have been highly addicted to Meth for the past 8 years of my life. I am a 26 year old woman and I have literally f***'d myself by this addiction. I have gone to rehab's like 3-4 times(I paid for them myself, in other words:I want to be clean!!!), I've been on Wellbutrin for years at a time on and off...psychiatrists(too many to even count), in-patient and out-patient programs(back when I had health insurance thru my parents(untill the age of 22 I think)...I have actually managed to stay clean the longest for almost an entire year(I moved in with my folks-my dad is a pastor btw...)and I quit drinking, smoking, and anything else that I had been doing. My parents were really supportive and did everything in their power to help me. I even tried starting to excercise! Anyways..my depression got soo bad, along with me being totally lazy, exhausted, unable to do anything. The worst part was my weight gain. anyways, throught this whole "clean time" I was on wellbutrin untill I got tested for ADHD. And yep...I have it, and apparently pretty bad. Explains alot, except that I was given only Strattera due to my "addiction tendencies". I did my research on this med and really tried to be open minded about it. It did nothing and my dr would not give me adderall or concerta or any other of those. So the same day my dr. told me that news...I relapsed. I couldn't take it anymore and the meth actually was the only reason I was able to pass the few classes I was taking in the community college. I started using again right before the final exams(literally two days before). I was going to fail all of the classes unless I aced all the exams...which i did! So I have been on it ever since and have no clue what to do about this sick "dirty little secret" I keep from everyone. My family knows and they have completaly stopped all contact with me. I get the whole "love from afar" thing but I just can't deal with the fact that if I quit I will be miserable...get obese(literally) have absolutly NO MOTIVATION nor desire to live. I am seing a (city funded program)dr/psychiatrist which knows all about everything and still...is only giving me strattera, lamyctol, and (hardly non at all) a tiny dosage of klonopin. It is my first day taking strattera(again).I am still smoking meth...and alot as always..I don't like the lamyctol cuz it makes me totally exhausted and out-of-it. Help! What can I do?? I am seriously at my whits end at this point. I just wish I could try the adderal or any of those to replace the meth but I'm not given the opportunity! HELP!!  

I know exactly how you feel when you say "I have literally f****d myself with this addiction"  Over the past 20 years I have been clean for one - and it was the worst year of my life.  

I seriously have pretty much lost all hope is living my life clean and feeling "not like killing myself"..Is there any way out??

What worked for me.

45 yr old male

Tried cold turkey 3 times but at week 3,  triggers and cravings intensified (post acute withdrawal)

Checked into s.m.a.r.t base program which doesn't require (but does not discourage) religious portion of a 12 step program. This was key for me as i am a die hard agnostic. We are taught about the science behind addiction and coexisting conditions. And that our amazing brains DO eventually heal.

Simple things like time, diet and exercise DO repair your dopamine receptors. But it is f*****g hard at first...

We are taught a plethora of coping skills and that a seasoned recovered addict learns to "surf the wave"...I.e. the occasion craving that comes on then slowly fades like a swelling wave. (10-15 minute). We use distraction techniques and belly breathing exercises ...etc to help us get through these waves. And are taught that they eventually diminish. All of these techniques were collected over the years from recovered addicts from AA, NA, and sciences based members. So we know they work! 

Week1-3: tremors and outburst, but my ADHD lowself esteem personality flourished in group setting. I regained my faith in people/strangers. These seeming empty souls, we're like beautiful paintings just waiting to be unveiled! Myself included.

Week3-6: slow starting feeling the affects of the Strattera, which helped me let go of the constant fear of never having my meth or adderall back. I eventuallyrealized I've always been addicted to something: food, alcohol, video games, meth, opiates,

then meth again.

All very common for people with ADHD...

Started reading 

Continued...
Started reading "driven to distraction" which will be the first book I'll finish. Slowly I was finally starting to "get it". Education, Exercise and eating well seems to excellerate my recovery. And the group settings and support of peers was nothing short of magic for me. I should also note, I HAD to let go of many people and old ways of thinking that got me here.
Good luck...you can f*****g do it!!!
Me

Continued...
Sorry, one last thing:
Gabapentin and lisinopril (blood pressure)... We're very helpful in helping me stay in that safe area between being depressed or overexcited...too happy. Which are dangerous places and where relapse can occur. In other words, staying in the calm ...or a place of contentment is my safe zone.
- 8 weeks clean and sober and loving my family for the first time in a long long time.
Me