Hi guys,

I've been running off and on for about 2.5 years. I'm currently in a major ON stage, and my runs are between 3 and 7 miles four to five times a week right now. Whenever I run, my stomach starts to get upset and sometimes i have to stop my runs to use the bathroom. Why is this? I run on a digested and/or empty stomach. Is there anything I can do to prevent this?

Maybe try NOT running on an empty stomach. Eat 100 calories or so of something about 1/2 hour before you head out - maybe that will settle things down a little.

Edited to add: I've also heard something about zinc supplements helping.

I had this same problem with getting really bad stomach aches when I went running. In fact I would get them for like 5-6 hours after the run too it was terrible. I kept cutting things out of my diet until i figured it out. Turns out it wasn't related to what or if I ate before I went running. It was from drinking carbonated beverages. I like to drink sparkling water and that's what was causing it. I stopped drinking anything with carbonation and i no longer have any problems. Hope this helps