How many "hard" runs do you do per week? I've read that it's good to mix easy runs with hard runs in order to stay healthy and see continual improvement. What is a good ratio for easy vs. hard? What if, like me, you only run 3 times a week? In general I run on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday and save Tuesday and Thursday for resistance training (mostly upper body.) I take the weekend off. How many hard runs should I try to fit into that sort of schedule? Again, my goal is to avoid over-training while still seeing regular improvement.

Thanks!

Grunt

If you're only running 3 times a week I would think one hard run would be sufficient. You need time to recover, and you are lifting on the other days.

Nice to have you here Grunt!

1-2 days

if 2 days 1 is an interval day, the other is a hill/push day

if 1 day a week intervals

Grunt,

At good internet source (and free) for training information is Mcmillan Running. He really gets into the theory behind training. It will probably answer a question or two and bring up a bunch more.

great stuff RB! thanks.

I usually only do one hard short day and then a long run on the weekends.

Two hard days and a long run is just too hard of a schedule to keep up for too long.

If I'm doing 3 days a week of running, 2 days easy 1 day hard with that hard day in the middle of the week.

I advocate one "quality" day each week where you get in a run with intervals, tempo, hill reps, racing, trails, whatever, just something to really push the envelope. But then to build the endurance, getting the all important "long run" in is nearly as important. Putting 30% of your weekly mileage in one run is how you really make those shorter "easy" days feel truly easy.