I am a fairly new runner---maybe 2 months..the most I have gotten up to is 4.5 miles. I did a 4 mile race on July 4th which was very hot and humid. I ran it in 34.59....which was pretty good for me.

I always run in the morning 7:30ish as I have 3 kids--one of them being 7 months old. I ran tonight for the first time running at night...I did so b/c I am running in a 5K next Wed. night and I wanted to get a night run in before the race to see if it was much different. I usually run on an empty stomach being that I run in the morning. So for the night run I ate about 5pm ( a little bit) and ran at 8:15) I felt horrible...heavy breathing and tired legs.... I did have my son in the jogging stroller--which is not normal --and he weighs about 22 lbs) and my ipod concked out in the beginning...so I guess things weren't really going my way now that I think about it.....but I am discouraged...should it be that different running at night----or do you think it was pushing the stroller--not able to use my arms.....and NO MUSIC!

I guess my ???? is what should I do during the day to get ready to run at night...any input is appreciated...thanks!

I would say pushing a stroller with 22 lbs of kid in it would definitely slow one down a considerable amount. Also, you might need to experiment a bit with the amount of food and time gap between eating and running for your evening runs. Maybe you ran too soon after eating and that contributed to your sluggishness.

Whenever I switch from running mornings to evenings (or vice versa) I have the same thing- there's an adjustment period where I feel really terrible and my performance suffers for a few days. It'll pass. Not to mention that adding a stroller to the mix is certainly part of it in your case! :)

Yeah I wouldn't worry too much about that run, everything was off that day. But if you really do want to get a feel for running at night, try to replicate the conditions: don't run with the stroller, make sure your music player works, and try and eat a light meal. The run should be better and as long as you're still training (whether in the morning or at night) you will be prepared for your race.

I think very light meal, like a shake or similar is best before running. Also, maybe you just nee a few day adjustment time.
Good luck!

I'm a runner and independent film maker. We've just made a short 15 min film on night fell running (and about fell running in general) called "the Bedlamites".

It was screened and well received at the Bradford International Short Film Festival last weekend.

We also held a screening at a local pub where we live.

many thanks

Checking out the trailer now...should be good!

.............
Goals:
Sub 39min 10k
Blog = Global Trainer Review

before i graduated,i always run at morning with my classmate,sometimes also run during the night,but i like to run at morning

Firstly, congrats on your 34 min 4 mile run!

Secondly, it's totally the stroller.

I am a newbee to the running world also and have tried everything from 4:30am runs to 11pm runs. I prefer the night runs the best, around 8pm (about 2 hours after I eat din).