I am a long distance runner. I used to enjoy running 10k’s and even 20k’s. However I have been experiencing problems with my mind lately. I can’t concentrate on anything, my thoughts are racing and I end up confused. I aborted last race because of it. I know that it sounds silly but this has become a problem to me. What are your long runs thoughts?

You obviously have some problems that originate somewhere else. That has nothing to do with running. Are you under a lot of stress lately? Are you getting enough sleep? Recent scientific findings suggest that a person should get minimum eight hours of sleep. More is desirable. As for the thoughts during the long run, well I think of plenty of things…whatever is nice and appealing. Sometimes when I need to pick up a speed or feel that I might not make it I start to imagine that my legs are propelled by a rocket fuel and I am getting faster and faster and run at the speed of sound. I hold this mental image and it really helps me to finish the race.

Have you thought of getting an mp3 player? Try listening to some music that you like and mentally sing the songs.

D

Maybe you might want to discuss such things with a therapist. It helped me out.

I agree with Doug - the minute my mind starts going into overdrive, I turn up the volume. The trick is to learn how to keep those thoughts at bay, meditation works very well.