I think this is one of those stupid questions that I can't find an answer to because everybody else already knows the answer so there's nothing to talk about...

I used to only ever run about 2-3 miles a few times a week. For 3 miles, I had some water before I ran and after and never had to worry about anything. This summer I started running 5 miles regularly, and have done a number of 8-9 mile runs. I don't have a problem with the 5 mile runs, although it's nice when there's a water fountain after the first 3, but when I run 6+ miles, I start to get significantly dehydrated on sunny days, and even when I'm not sweating profusely, I start running out of energy.

I seem to get the impression that this is fairly normal, but what do you guys do about it? I've heard people talking about belts that hold water bottles. When you go on a 10+ mile run, do you just stick some kind of belt that you stick a sports bar in?

I ride my bike about 30 miles from time to time, and then it's easy to take things with you, but it seems pretty inconvenient when running.

You can always "hide" water bottles around your route. I did this for the first time the other day and it worked pretty well. Just stash a bottle under a bush or something and then pick it up when you pass. It's convenient for me because on long runs I do several loops of the 4,5, or 6 mile lakes. I just leave a bottle at my car, run a loop, pick it up and carry it for about half a mile, then drop it after I've gotten enough water. On the next loop I just pick it up where I dropped it. Or just plan your route so that you pass water fountains. I personally don't like water fountains because you have to stop and drink. I'm yet to really need any kind of food on a long run, but I'd just leave a bar or something with your water bottle and pick it up after a while.

I am lucky in that on my 6 mile and longer course I use a course that runs the campus of UNF and they have a spot with a water fountain that I use as rest stop/water stop. Very helpful on a 10 miler when the humidity is 90 percent. Definitely try to carry water via the fuel belt or camelback if you are going over 10. I wouldn't worry about the short break of a minute or 2 if you are running a long run of 10 miles if you do stop at a water fountain. I have never tried hiding bottles of water or gatorade but if I had to I probably would. A friend of mine plans his runs to take him by gas stations etc so he can run in and buy bottles of gatorade, guzzle it down and get on the road again. I hope some of this helps.

Definitely carry water with you or have a water stop planned along your route. You might want to look into Clif Shots or Gu, as well, for a quick energy burst.