Ok, so here is how my run went this morning. I find most of my long runs to be about the same.

0-Mile 1... ouch, maybe I'll walk a bit, no just keep running. Sh*t my heart rate went up so fast, maybe I need to slow down, how can I? I am practically walking here.

mile 1-2... Ok, maybe I won't do 10 miles...maybe six, six sounds good. I am never going to be able to be prepared for the half. I am going to be the fat ass out there and people will laugh, they'll know I have no business running out there. I am sure I look pathetic.

Mile 3-6... Hey, this is nice, look at that __________, wow thats neat. Maybe one day I'll get one of those, yeah, I'll just do this and this walla...it will be mine. Hey, I can do this, Maybe I'll upgrade to the full marathon, I feel good. See my shadow, yeah Im bigger then her skinny little thing but look at me go. Hey maybe I can learn to fly...no, not planes...you know, like a bird. Wow, I am running...like the energizer bunny, I just keep going and going. The world is good. I may not come in 1st but I am running. Boy, have I come along way. Maybe I'll try to run a mile past the end and back. I feel good this morning. Hmm, 14 miles? Bet I can do it.

Mile 7-8...Ok, getting a bit tired, almost there, how long have I been at this? My knees are getting sore but I will be able to finish the half. Good for me. Is that a blister I feel on my foot?

Mile 9-10... Damn it, when will this ever end, c**p I might need to walk in the half, maybe I'll walk thru the water stations...just a 5 minute walk break, why haven't I lost any damn weight? Im an Athena, great nice name for fat ass. geez, where is the end? There it is finally...

We all have those days. keep up the good work and you'll see results.

Try running a different course or run it backwards.

Sorry to hear you had a rough training day. Everyone has those kinds of days. Definitely try changing courses or if you are fortunate enough to have someone to run with get out with them. Having a partner will help you forget about some of the cr@p that you think about when you are running solo. If all else fails you can always ask for :coach: from the people here and someone will offer up even more help.

Good Luck and keep running.

stay at it Christa. everyone thinks the same thoughts at some point along the line. i'd still lower my expectations if i were you; you kinda sound like you're really pushing yourself which can result in emotional letdown--then it's hard to get back out there. ease off on distance/speed but keep at it for 5-6 days a week. build a strong solid, base without worrying about speed. build your confidence before raising the bar anymore.... don't be so hard on yourself.

maybe? you're great for gettin' out there. remember that!

actually y'all I don't think it was a bad run at all. I guess my point wasn't made with typing
My point was...
I usually start off disliking a run and after a couple of miles warm up I get euphoric, almost that I can do everything. All is right with the world. Gotta love the endorphins.
Then The body takes over the mind, run ends. No different from any newbie Im sure. But, hey! I am running 10 miles at a time. 3rd time I have done that!!! I am very proud.

"Gotta love those runner's highs".
When I first started running in college, I got a lot of :umno: when I would return at midnight (yes at midnight...I wouldn't run until 10:30pm and the track was always open until 2am) because I was so pumped up, excited, etc. The girls in my dorm couldn't understand why I was so "high" off of running and would return to their gossip, drooling over Don Johnson, Freshman 15 and pizza. :shrug: They just didn't "get it".
Then I was able to stay up until 3 or 4 am to study.
I get the way you do at times too. I dread running until I get things started. Once the first few miles are in...I'm fine and feel great.