so i was asking my meathead, weightlifting boyfriend for advice on a lifting program that'll supplement my running, he said to be sure to have simple sugars immediately after lifting otherwise my body will burn muscle first. he's a kinesiology major and does some personal training on the side so i trust that he knows his stuff in that department, but it got me wondering: wouldn't it make sense for the same to go for running?

i don't run on an empty stomach now since i'm going in the afternoon or evening (although i'm gonna have to start running first thing in the morning as the weather gets warmer) and afterwards i just have a bunch of water or sometimes some calmag (calcium/magnesium supplement/drink) with a little apple juice.

should i go out of my way to eat something specific before and after runs? what do you all do?

This has always puzzled me as well. I've heard that you should eat some easily digestible carbohydrates after a run so you can refuel, and I've also heard that you shouldn't eat for at least an hour after you exercise. :shrug:

~Astara~

I've got no degree in kinesiology, but I've had my head in running magazines and books for 20-yrs. All the 'experts' out there pretty well agree for refueling to get both carbs and proteins in a post-run meal. And ideally, that should be within an hour of your workout, even 30-minutes if you can swing it. Especially the protein, your body needs that pronto to begin rebuilding the micro-level damage that training does. I imagine that's the thought behind not "burning muscle". Most recovery products (bars, drinks) have a high dose of protein and also simple carbs. Largely it's marketing though. Something like a tunafish sandwich is going to do the job just as well. One last thought on comparing nutrition, supplements and routines between weight lifting and running, it really is two different ball games. Some of the tried-and-true regimes of weightlifters I've heard over the years are definitely contrary to what a distance runner needs to do, so be careful on adopting weight lifters conventional wisdom.

What are some handy, quick things you would suggest for before & then for after?
My prob. is that I don't like to eat a lot before because I can't stomach food that early.
Then afterward my problem is I have to haul a$$ to get in the shower, get the kids ready, and get to work, so I just don't have time to sit down to sandwich or cereal or whatever.
I should add that whole food suggestions would be best... I cannot stand most bars out there.
Thanks, JJ!

WEll... personally, I don't eat too much before, just because I hate the feeling of... well, you know, during my run. But if you do, you probably want to make it some simple type of starch. But, after a workout, like, a hard workout, or lifting session, I heard that eating something withs imple sugars (bagel, pb and j) within 20 minutes will help recovery time and sore muscles.

I like Kashi GoLean cereal with skim milk. Healthy and protein packed, but not too heavy that you feel sick when you start running.

LE - why don't you make a turkey sandwhich before your run (the night before if you have too) and then when you come back, eat it. get up five minutes earlier, or bring something you can munch in the car. :)

or maybe a bagel with real peanut butter (if it's the morning).

i know for a fact that i can't run on an empty stomach - within like 10 minutes of being awake my tummy demands to be filled. i've been having a big breakfast lately so i'm not sure how i could do runs in the morning (without getting the other kinda runs in 8O) ... but when i come home from school i'll either eat a sandwhich on the bus, and have some nuts, or have a half a protein bar before i head out for exercise (or maybe a porkchop, piece of chicken or something that's in the fridge). and then i have my shake as soon i come back in.

my stomach is wonky as it is - but i like dry foods that have protein and carbs. but it's not scientific by any means. i used to do cereal, but i now have gluton and lactose issues - so i kinda scramble now.

i have heard that a beer is good for you after your run (coming from a well respected coach i knew). :) not sure about that.

the big thing is - give yourself enough time to eat something and have a few minutes before you actually start running. you don't want to feel gross during the run. it's a bit of trial and error.

from the studies i've checked out.
try eating about an hour to 90 minutes before activity, a good carb with a little protien. i like to have two slices of wheat bread with peanutbutter myself. drink water with this too so it goes into the bloodstream without pulling fluid from the muscles. eating this early allows the food to digest and enter the bloodstream.

post activity eating should be done within two hours to be effective but preferably within the first 30 mins for maximum effectivness. it should be a combination of simple carbs with protein. there are two schools of thought on the ration, 3 carbs to every protein or 4 carbs to every protein.

using this as a guide for post recovery i simply place in the fridge my post exercise smoothie with protein and carb supplements put the frozen fruit, juice or water, and the podwers in the fridge when you eat your pre-activity meal and when you get done just blenderize (is that a word?) the mix and enjoy. I like to use a lot of berries as part of my fruit since they so high in anti-oxidants.

A quick thing to do are cans/bottles of Ensure, Boost or whatever, Yes the old folks drinks. it's good for us athletic types too as it is easy to digest and has a boatload of nutrients, vitamins and carb/protein. so for pre and post race you can simply have this in your bag.

i run in the early morning and couldnt imagine eating first, i feel like i get more out of the run/exercising eating afterwards. typically i do my run, then drink a bottle of water while i shower, then make a protein shake for breakfast. in that i use 10 ounces of water, 4 strawberries or half a banana, 1 scoop whey protein powder, 1 tbsp milled flax seeds, 1 tbsp quinoah flakes, 1 tbsp shelled hemp seeds, a couple of tbsp's whole oats & a little splenda to sweeten it. then blend it all together. makes a great recovery meal, IMO.