Hey I was wondering if you ever went off? I have been on Prozac for 17 years... and I want to go off. Low dose.. 20mg. But I gained weight and I don't even know if I need it anymore.

Hi. I'm not Sky, but I can tell you if you don't think you need it to talk to your Dr about your weight gain concerns. Mine put me on Wellbutrin after gaining 35 pounds in 1 year on 40mg. Prozac.
I have only been off it for 4 months and haven't lost any weight.
I believe it affects everyone differently. Some people gain weight fast on Prozac and some slow. Some lose weight fast getting off Prozac and some slow or not at all.
In my case, the Wellbutrin has not helped me lose weight nor has it heled my depression (300mg dose).
I'm sure, though, I would have gained a lot more weight if I stated on Prozac.
My point is, there is always a trade off. No easy answer. Sorry, but do talk to your dr about an alternative to Prozac if the weight gain concerns you.
You probably just think you don't need it anymore because it's a very affective antidepressant. It works for that great. Wellbutrin and cymbalta, not so much.
Hope this helps. Good luck.

I have noticed a few pounds drop over the last couple days. When I think over the last time that I took the meds it must have been a few months ago ( I was only on about 10mg a day, I cut my 20mg in half). Though it's the holidays I'll probably gain a few pounds anyways but it was nice to see the scale go down a bit. I'm sure the time it takes for your body's metabolism to get back on track corresponds to how long you've been taking it and how much too. Happy Holidays too! :)

I too have had weight problems while on prozac. I am thinking of going on wellbutrin instead. I was told it is not
as weight sensitive as prozac. What are your thoughts. How slowly can you come off prozac.

I took myself off Prozac a month ago because the encumbering side effects of steady weight gain plus brain fog. Everyone I hear from act like it's the worst choice ever and will hurt myself going cold turkey. So what I did was cut off all things that cause depression: alcohol, ambien, and especially trigger thoughts like past injustices. Then I made myself stay busy. The first three days I felt a heavier "fog" but focused on the fact it is just a chemical issue which will go away. It turns out I did the right thing. I've lost the bloating weight which was 8 pounds of water even during PMS which always puts 10 pounds on. When I felt the depression start up this morning I made myself keep the focus off my feelings and ate an awesome breakfast. Stayed working, blocked the urge to think negative things. I'll never do Prozac because it is prison so I like my program better.

Positive thinking is definitely a good thing. I've started to control those creeping in negative feelings and thoughts by repeating to myself "My mind controls my body" over and over again and that can help me calm myself down sometimes. Another good combination is Vitamin B's, Vitamin D-3 (high iu dose), and lowering my caffeine intake. Fluoxetine (Prozac) worked good for me for a little while but after having my first real Panic Attack (seriously thought I'd die) my further use of it was tainted with those ominous feelings I had during my Attack. As I read afterwards, while on Fluoxetine, drinking a large amount of alcohol can trigger a Panic Attack the night after you've been drinking. Also same thing can happen with a large amount of caffeine. Needless to say, even after knowing to avoid these things I still feared having another Panic Attack.

I was on I think 20mg of cipralex and gained a sudden 20 pounds.  I had been seriously dieting and exercising 3 times a week with a trainer and 3 times a week doing hard cardio.  I never ate more than 13-1400 calories and am still stuck.  I'm weaning myself off and after two weeks of weaning (went to 10mg and now taking 5) and the scale still hasn't budged.  I feel a little betrayed that my dr. didn't warn me about the weight gain.  I had lost 60 pounds with diet and exercise and this sudden weight gain has made me really depressed and anxious above and beyond the pills could ever cure.

those that have weaned off of their meds, when did the weight stop coming off?

Hi Ash,

Thanks for being so open it is inspiring.

I had a lot of weight to lose and my DAILY cardio wasn't working. After thinking hard about it I realized there were two things to face: 1. Breaking point 2. An adjustment was in order. Breaking point is when your body finally passes over the stubborn point then responds to your workout regime through tone or weight loss or however your body hardens up. The adjustment is when you change a vital component such as cutting out fat, or sleeping your needed hours...whatever it is your body truly needs from you. You just have to keep going and listen to what your system needs, then you'll cross over. I promise!!

heey, i was on prozac, i took one pill daily and i lost 6 kg in the long run as it suppressed my appetite, aster i lowered my dosage to half a tablet per day i noticed i was gaining weight, you need to excercise! and the weight gain will kick in almost immediatley :( goodluck - Claire x

Exercise did nothing to help lose weight!!!! Neither did low cal diet, Atkins, carb cycling, GFCS, blood type diet, hypothyroid diet, paleolithic diet, southbeach, weight watchers, or tons of diet supplements- natural and otherwise.

I exercise daily and eat whole organic foods and weigh the same as I did 4 months ago when I stopped Prozac.

Some people's weight isn't affected by Prozac. Most are affected and for some of those NOTHING helps take it off.

True!!! There is every kind of body and not everyone loses wright the same.

Yes, everyone is affected differently by Prozac. I'm curious nerdoloco, how long had you been on Prozac before coming off it? As I know it is something that builds up in your system it would take a while for it to wear out and also for your metabolism to get back to something that would be normal. Did you have troubles losing weight before starting the Prozac? Before Prozac a good few weeks worth of a workout and good eating and I"d lose some significant weight. I have been off a few months from it (though I was only on it a few months too) and as I am still at my highest weight it has gone down with exercise and diet change and it now fluctuates, still tough to keep it down though.

Trinity, I've struggled with my weight all my life. I was already heavy when I started Prozac 20 mg in 2010 at 175 lbs. Exactly a year later I upped to 40 mg and after another full year on it I had gained 35 lbs. I was working out and dieting and the weight kept piling on.

Now that I've been off of it for 4 months I haven't gained, but I haven't lost. I hope enough time will eventually pass when I see weight loss, too.

I'm sure your body will straighten itself back out, just a matter of time. Have you tried taking Ginseng? It had many benefits and I believe it also helps to boost your metabolism.

***Post is edited by moderator *** Web addresses not allowed***Please read our Terms of Use

might be worth adding to your daily routine. It's nice to see the weight gain stop and going down is only a matter of time. Best of luck!

Hi Trinity, thanks for the advice. I'm going to give Ginseng a try. I've taken just about everything but that. ALA, raspberry, green tea, white bean, milk thistle, selenium, spirulina, dhea, chromium picolanate, kelp, chia seeds, you name it! I already take all the essentials, but maybe the Ginseng will actually help.
Bless you! :)