Hi. Wow, well, I have been on 20 mg of prozac off and on for 12 years. I have also gained 50 pounds, have been working with a personal trainer, have been eating right, using Sensa, doing zumba twice a week, getting on the treadmill for 45 minutes a day - and nothing will budge! My dr said that 20 mg a day is NOT enough to affect my metabolism, but that is bull hockey! I think it IS affecting it, and now I am afraid I have been on it for so long that I will NEVER see any difference even if I wean off. I also see it in my face - that bloated look - and I NEVER have had weight gain around my belly area until now. I went on this to cope with divorce and the loss of three members of my immediate family - I never expected to look rotund. I also was diagnosed a year ago with pre-diabetes! And ordered to lose weight by my doctor - well, I have tried EVERYTHING. Getting off this c**p is my next goal. And keeping my mood elevated is going to be even more difficult! I am sorry that we all got suckered into this! 

I gained 35 pounds from prozac and have only.lost 10 of the pounds in 9 months being off the medication. I took the meds for obsessive thinking. Now I'm depressed! The one thing I was proud of was my physique. Now thats gone . There s only one more test I can go for as per the endocrinoligist but he doubts something is wrong.

Alot of people gain from these meds and they make plenty of sense to us. Be happy you haven't gained weight. Paranoid misinformation? Try the truth! Why would you even search the topic if you didn't have the problem or a cure? Please don't post anymore

hello, iam having problem with my weight, since i started taking proazac in the last 2 years i was 100 lbs and now iam 125 super fat for my 5"1,so iam going to stop prozac and i will let you know if i loss the weight, i eat the same or less. but i can not loss the weight, bur i will....

Hey stefandang I was taking 20 ml of prozac for about 6 months then after that it didnt do anything for me so i uped my dose to 40 ml and took that for about 2 and a half months i noticed that i began to put on weight while i was on prozac along with a huge number of other reactions so i decided to ween myself off and 4 days ago I completely stopped them I have noticed a change in my eating habit already but not to mention I haven't noticed any weight come off, I will keep you updated If I get anywhere with this problem :)

Hi Everyone!

I really do have some great news for people who have gained weight on Prozac. But let me tell you my story first...I only took prozac for 6 months. I started out on 10 mg and increased to 30 mg. In the beginning, I lost 7 lbs in the first week...but the weight came back and I also gained an extra 15 lbs while I was on Prozac. I love Prozac and what it did for me mentally, but I was disappointed by the weight gain side effect so I discontinued it. Once I discontinued it, I worked out everyday...took different types of classes (crossfit, kickboxing, etc.), I even counted my calories..allowing only 1000 calories a day. NOTHING worked! I could not budge even 1 lb!!!!!!! 1 1/2 year later after prozac...a co-worker introduced me to the FAT FLUSH DIET PLAN...and OMG!!!! It works if you follow it to the "T" for phase 1. It's like a cranberry water detox type of diet with no carbs, no salt, etc. You have to read it and try it. I lost 4 lbs in the 2 week phase 1. I didn't buy the natural supplements that you are suppose to be taking during this phase but if I did...i would have lost more than 4 lbs! I'm just really excited that I lost any weight at all. I wanted to share this with you all because i am very excited about it. This was the only thing that has worked for me. The cranberry WATER is key! - NOT Cranberry JUICE

I gained about 45 lbs after going on generic fluoxetine. In the very beginning I lost about 5 lbs but after that I just ballooned. I was previously at a normal/slim weight for my height but ended up clinically overweight. As someone who's fought with body image issues since the age of 9, this was one of the worst things that could happen to me. "Luckily" the fluoxetine took the edge off and I wasn't as bothered as I would have been had I not been on the drug. I was on it for 4 years and tried to lose weight practically the whole time. I think that's the only reason I didn't get even bigger. I worked out for at least an hour a day and eventually ate as little as 800 calories a day. NOTHING happened. I thought there had to be something medically wrong with me so I got tested for every disease that could cause weight gain like this. All the results were normal. My doctor said I needed to "eat less and exercise more". I was livid. And by the way, the doctor didn't think to mention the fluoxetine as a possible culprit, probably because it isn't supposed to be. I was also totally naive about it, since the prescribing information gave no indication to blame the drug.

As the fluoxetine was a constant in my life, I finally decided to taper off the drug just to see what's up. Once I was off the drug completely I lost 35 pounds in two months. Unfortunately I also managed to kill my long term relationship thanks to the drug, mainly due to emotional numbing and loss of libido that I for some reason couldn't connect to the drug before it was too late. He thought I didn't care about him anymore, and sadly he was right. Now that the fluoxetine is gone I'm filled with regret and anger and honestly don't give a rat's a** about my weight. Life's ironic that way sometimes. My medication and general mental condition were poorly monitored and I should have gone off the drug much much sooner. I may have ruined my chance at happiness but I hope I can be a cautionary tale about the still tragically untold side effects of Prozac. I'm not saying don't take it if your doctor thinks you should, but be aware. Sorry for the rant. Feel free to e-mail me if you're in a similar situation.

This is my username, I accidentally posted as guest...

HI Film Student,

I know this is a year after your post, but I'm just now reading this thread.
Please don't be upset. Not ALL PEOPLE GAIN WEIGHT ON PROZAC!

There are myriad factors with each person and each person's body chemistry is different, so you may not gain weight on it.

I am taking 20mg and actually lost a few pounds on it. I have been taking it for 4 years and have not gained any weight since taking it. (The 5 pounds I lost at the beginning kind of go up and down throughout the year, depending on my diet/exercise, but I don't below or above that range.

I am a Healthcare Consultant. I am in my 40's and watch my diet carefully, run, dance, lift weights and do yoga and pilates.
I also suffered from poor body image and I'd resisted taking prozax/fluoxetine for years because I'd read about 'weight gain' and I like to live a holistic lifestyle. I suffered from exercise OCD. I resisted taking it for years and feel like I wasted life, in my exercise obsession.

I have to tell you, film student, the prozac made a HUGE POSITIVE difference for me in my moods an outlook. I stopped wasting time trying to exercise all the time and was able to apply, get accepted and finish grad school in 2 years! I then got a wonderful job in my field, which I love.

It may not be for you, but if other methods haven't worked, wouldn't you rather be free from the binging cycle so you can move forward with your life?

Me too! I have lost 30 lbs. since January when I restarted Prozac

I was just told the other day that prozac is generally weight nuteral,  but after reading all these posts,  I'm thinking not.

I have been on low dose 20mg for 3-4 yrs,  it has helped greatly with stress,  but like most of you,  i have little by little gained over 40 pounds.   NOW I am more depressed due to my body & weight than I ever was over "stupid" people that stress me out.   I have a low tollerance for people who question my intelligence level and pull high school pranks at the age of 40 plus.

I just the other day stopped taking my prozac cold turkey,  other than a few days of headaches,  I think it is going good.   I have been off it almost 2 weeks now.    I hope I continue to feel this way and am able to stay off it.   OH,  I have lost 8 pounds in 2 weeks too.    hmmmm   Energy level is good too.

Good luck everyone !!!!

so true. i am 5ft 10..always been slim. went on floxetine 10 months ago, and for the first time in my life i have expanded round my middle, bust, and face, coming of the tablets now as i do not want a middle age spread...nobody told me that fluoxetine could have an effect on your metabolisim

In Nov 2010 I started on 20mg of generic Prozac.  My weight was 175 and I'm a 5'4" female.  I got that bumped up to 40 mg in Nov 2011 because even though it helped I was still really emotionally messed up.  Now it is August 2012 and I weigh 210.  That is a 35 pound increase in less than 2 years.  My libido is completely non existent as well after being on Prozac.

If you would like to know the details of my experience read on.  I hope it helps someone out there like me.

I was obese all my life and had bariatric surgery in 2003.  I got down to 145 pounds from 325 in about 2 years.  I gave birth to two sons since 2005 and started to gain a little weight back.  By 2010, I had been through a very traumatic and horrible experience.  I also had to have heart surgery, so I felt anti-depressants were in order.  My mother has been on imipramine and then Prozac her entire adult life, so my doctor put me on the 20 mg of Prozac generic since it helped my mother.

After gaining so much weight despite diet and exercise this past 18 months, I read up on Prozac and weight gain.  My mother has gained 40 pounds since getting on Prozac and now has diabetes and takes insulin daily.

I started weaning myself off of it by taking 40 mg every other day for a month.  Then I took it once a week for two weeks.  Now I have been off of it for a week and have been crying like CRAZY. I'm so depressed and miserable, I am over eating because I'm depressed, and I feel generally lost.

I am clueless as to what to do in my life now.  It has only been 2 weeks total without Prozac, so I can't expect weight loss.  BUT I've gained 7 pounds in those 2 weeks alone which I believe is due to depression bingeing. 

I'm married with two beautiful sons.  I can't be a mess, I have to feel normal for my sake and theirs.  My family needs me and I'm failing them.  Going from rock bottom depression to complete indifference and emotional numbness only to gain 35 pounds and lose all sex drive has been a vicious cycle I want desperately to end.

I can't tell you whether to start Prozac or not.  In my case I'm still confused as to whether I should have gone on it in the first place.  In the short term it helped me get through the most horrible period in my life, but in the long run it has made things worse. 

My personal plan is to stay off Prozac, work through my emotions and face my depression with help from reading, meditation, an online therapy course, and diet and exercise.  I hope this also helps me lose weight.  Learning hard lessons lead to growth and I intend to follow through with what I know now so I can stop distracting myself from my issues or do things to cover up or ignore them.

I hope to log in again in the future with good news.  Blessings to all.

Hi. unfortunate great post by you. hang in there. I gained 6 pounds in a month after going from 20 to 40 mg of prozac. I then stopped immediately and hoped it would come off. over the next few months while not taking anything and for all intensive purposes taking part of half marathon training circuit. i gained 25 more pounds . the only weight i lost was tear water from the eyes. 11 months later 15 pounds off. still not leanest thin stomach. sucks

Hang in there Nerdoloco!!!

If you can build up your support group of friends/family who can help you through this tough time, now's the time to do it!

Also read up on the half life of Prozac, so you know how long the substance will stay in your system.

If you're not in talk therapy now, I'd begin. I'd also learn to eat as cleanly as possible. NO processed foods. Processed foods have many additive which trigger the binging cycle and can easily lead you out of control, leaving you more depressed than ever. Learn to eat clean, whole foods and how much you need for your body, not what friends/family tell you to eat.

Some people can tolerate wheat, soy, corn, others not. Some need to avoid dairy. I think soy's the biggest health food HOAX of the last 30 years!! It's NOT so healthy!!

Back to you, I think it would benefit you to hire a qualified holistic nutritionist who has good referrals and who actually listens to you.

Let food be your medicine and learn healthy ways to cope with issues in your life. SOmetimes just learning how to have a healthy perspective is what's necessary.