I am so amazed to come on here and read all these stories that are so much like mine. I started taking prozac about 4 years ago, and I have always been a small framed and slim person. In the past few months, despite increasing my exercise by ALOT and eating healthy (which I always have anyway) I have slowly gained about 20lbs and I look bloated around the face. I constantly feel bloated and yuck. I have gone off prozac about 2 weeks ago. I have felt pretty c**p since stopping the medication.....but I am determined to stay off it. This weight has made me far more depressed than I have ever been before!!!!! I am looking forward to my body hopefully feeling normal again. Even if it takes a while....anything is better than this.

Just an update., I weighed myself and haven't lost much. Weird thing is, in the mirror and feeling, I would swear I lost some fat. That has happened to me before, like losing 2 inches off the waist after an ssri but no scale movement. That I thought was impossible. The weight number wise then started about 2 months after feeling lighter. My question that no one can answer is, for example, you're a man 200 lbs and run 3 miles a day and burn 2200 cal per day. You eat 1800 per day. If you aren't burning fat for that 400 cal, then what is the body using? and what effect does that have on you?

John- my husband looks like he lost 50 pounds, honestly. He was not on ssri's or anything, but his job keeps him working 70-75 hours per week so he doesn't eat very much anymore. The scale shows a weight loss of 5 lbs! I was shocked and cannot explain it. I've heard the "muscle weighs more than fat" thing a thousand times, but there has to be truth to it.
I know the frustration, but you're doing it right, so don't give up.
God bless!

I wanted to add an update in case anyone is following this. I have been off Prozac for 4 months (40 Mg) and on Wellbutrin for 3 months (300mg). I had gained about 35 pounds in one year on Prozac, weighing 202 when I stopped taking it this summer. I'm 42, female, hypothyroid, type B blood, premenapausal (sp?), etc.
I actually gained a little bit more weight after getting off Prozac the first month but no more since then.
I have been doing the gluten free diet, natural whole foods, all the supplements for hypothyroid and eliminated groitegens and nightshades. I eat for my blood type and also follow carb cycling. I have been aggressively trying to lose weight through healthy eating and exercise and 4 months off Prozac I am still the same weight.
I ordered chia seeds and will start eating those today to help increase fiber and decrease appetite.
I hope the next time I post I will be more positive and report some encouraging results.
As for now, my husband melts away and I stay the same despite similar lifestyles.
If anyone is getting off Prozac, please don't think you're any different from others for not losing the weight quickly. It took John above more than 8 months and so far it looks like I'm following suit.
God bless all! Don't give up. :)

And just an update from me. after the ssri weight started to come off i had a head injury. a neuro gave me keppra as a precaution which is an anti seizure med. of course weight gain occurred and with research on how that med works it has some similar functions of an anti depressant and a lot have complained about weight gain. i have been weaning off that and have lost some weight. ill keep ev updated.

OMG, I hope all is well now. I'm sorry to hear about your injury. Stay strong. Peace.

ha, nice the same happened to me, i feel so horrible bloated, fat, i cannot get this stupid weight off, and my doctor said the same u will not gain weight yeah sure me too i am so angry i am taking 20 mg and i really want to stop this drug but at the same time i am scared, so CONFUSED URGHHHH ;(

All I can say is wow.....I am so glad I found this.  I too have gained weight due to Prozac - which I did not realize was the cause until finding this post. I started taking 20mg of Prozac back in August (three months ago) and was bumped up to 40mg a month later - therefore, I have been on 40mg of Prozac for the last two months. From the moment I began taking the medication, I developed a very strange, very intense addiction to Snickers candy bars....go ahead and laugh - I still can't believe it either. However, I am LITERALLY eating between 6-10 full size Snickers A DAY!!!! They are all I want to eat and all that I crave (along with strong coffee but I've always had that). It is to the point that my mood will drastically begin to decrease if I haven't had a candy bar in a certain amount of time. This is absolutely the worst thing that has ever happened to me (even worse than the reason for which I started taking Prozac in the first place)!! And the thing is is that I NEVER even LIKED Snickers before this started happening!! Dear lord, what is going on?!?And as you all can imagine and I'm sure relate to in one way or another, I have very rapidly gain a large amount of weight - however, I do not know how much exactly because I absolutely refuse to weigh myself because I'm scared to death that once I see how much I've put on that it will be what it takes to push me over the edge. I know it's a seriously large amount because naturally I only weigh around 110-115 (which is normal for my petite 5'3" frame) and wear an average size 3-4 (sometimes a 2) in jeans and a small or sometimes extra small in my tops - and now I am lucky if I'm able to button my jeans which even if I can, my extremely large and very bloated gut disgustingly hangs out. My tops are all now way too tight which makes my very bloated stomach look even worse. My bras don't even fit me anymore. I have NEVER been this way in my entire life. I'm ready to die. I too was told that Prozac is known to cause weight LOSS and was NOT told anything about weight GAIN whatsoever. Ive never had any issues with my body image - I never thought I was totally beautiful but I've always felt confident in my body and have been happy with it - until now and this has put me into the worst disgusted depression I've ever experienced. Just like everyone else here, this is the last thing I've ever needed - I have so many other things to deal with in my life - so having this happen on top of all of my other issues has caused me to feel completely hopeless and defeated. And learning what the cause of this is and how impossible it is to lose this terrible weight, makes me want to give up all hope of ever being happy - if even just a little bit. It is one of the worst feelings to go through your ENTIRE closet trying to find ONE pair pants that aren't skin tight and plain out painful to wear along with a top that isn't skin tight as well making the extra bloated fat I've accumulated that much more painfully obvious. A month ago, at my son's 6th birthday party, my stepmom asked me in front of everyone if I was pregnant. The sad part is is that I couldn't blame her for asking me due to the way my stomach is huge and bloated. This is a terrible contradiction - give me something to numb the pain of my current woes by creating a different, more depressing woe. It's not fair at all. Anyway, I don't really have much of a plan and even if I did it wouldn't really matter by the lack of success stories I've found. I do also take 300mg of Wellbutrin a day along with my 40mg of Prozac so if I'm able to come completely off the Prozac (not cold turkey of course), the Wellbutrin will still be there to keep me from falling even deeper into this ugly hole I'm in. I'm sorry for the long post - I just wanted to at least share my story with people who are riding in the same boat I am. My heart goes out to EVERYONE that's going through this. 

I have been dieting hard for the last 10 days and gained 7 pounds. I'm so sick of this. Ive been off Prozac 40 mg and on Wellbutrin 300 Mg for 4 months and I'm still gaining instead of losing. I gained about 35 pounds in one year on Prozac and it is taking my body a long time to recover from the mess Prozac caused as far as weight gain. I'm very depressed. Sleep all the time, cry all the time, I have doom and gloom in my heart all the time. Get off Prozac as soon as you can. I am trying to convince myself not to lose all hope that I can feel and look normal by accepting the fact that it will take me closer to a year of being off Prozac to start seeing an improvement instead of a decline. I used to have severe chocolate cravings, carbs, cheese, etc. Now I don't care about anything. I hate food and the thought of it makes me sick. Do I lose weight? No! Of course not. I was the only obese bulimic I knew as a young adult. Its just not in the cards for me to have a healthy metabolism or relationship with food or body image. But Prozac added a good 40 pounds to an already weight conscious woman with no self esteem. I know I'm not the only one, and I do have faith that one day the leftover affects of the Prozac will be out of my system. I hope everyone here has faith, too. God bless you all:)

Thought I would share some info from my spin instructor who is also a nurse.

She told me it takes about 6 months to get Cipralex out of your system, perhaps Prozac has a simliar wait time.....don't know about you all, but that helps me to know not to expect immediate results, but that they will come, just hang in there!

FYI - I too have experienced significant weight gain, 30 pounds being on Cipralex (30mg) (from Sept 2010 to Oct 2012). Finally put two & two together. I am weaning off slowly, dropping 5mg every 3 weeks.  I an now down to 5 mg and will be off totally come Monday.  Then going to Mexico with hubby for 2 weeks for our 20 anniversary.

My doctor was going to switch me over to another SSRI,  but after reading all your posts, I REALLY want to try it on my own without meds so that I can lose this weight.

My body is VERY stubborn. I work out 3+ days a week, boxing, spin, running, trained & ran a marathon in May 2012, but can't lose a single pound! Who does that! It took me a year (Nov 2006-Nov 2007) to lose 53 pounds on Herbal Magic, and I learned how to eat to maintain it for 3 years before I started these meds. So I am confident that once it gets out of my system I will see a weight loss.

Hopefully the above helps to relieve the frustration/wondering when to expect results from being off SSRI's.  :)

Hang in there all...remember, stress will prevent us from allowing our body to reset it's metabolism, so don't let it win.

At least when you gain weight normally, you give yourself extra calories and feel strong. Or when you lose weight, you don't eat as much but your body uses fat for energy so you're not.missing out. when you eat little, exercise and your body isn't using fat for energy, you feel it. just draining. youre almost better off eating more . If you burn 2500 cal per day but eat 2000, what is the body doing to supplement the 500 cal? it def isn't burning fat while on ssris.

I've seriously been considering getting off Wellbutrin. I've been taking 300mg since Aug '12 and I am very depressed. I can't get out of this depression nor can I stop gaining weight no matter how hard I try.

I'm wondering if all ssri's will help me cling to more and more weight.

Prozac absolutely took away my depression but made me gain a lot of weight which seems impossible to Lise now, but the Wellbutrin is doing nothing for me.

Hi everyone. To make a long story short. I have dealt with the SSRi weight gain and was in the process of losing all of the weight when I had something occur and I had to take an anti seizure medication called Keppra besides some other meds. Thankfully I have made it past that and just an FYI, there are a lot of other meds that have the potential of causing weight gain. Just do a google search for weight gain and fill in the blank pick an med. This med made me gain all of the weight I lost plus some. I started weaning off it about a month ago and have been totally off for 3 days. The Gyms scale which doesn't lie has me down about 5 pounds. I hope it just isn't a fluctuation and am looking forward to losing more. To look in the mirror and feel bad because of all the hard work and correct eating you did to get deleted by a medication can be tough. 

I had been taking Prozac (Fluoxetine) since August. I was doing a great job getting my weight down but within the last month

or so the pounds keep adding on. My diet hasn't increased by much (Holidays n all) and I've been on a workout routine through most of the week, normally that would be enough to keep my pants fitting comfortably. It just doesn't seem to be enough anymore. My weight is usually around 130-135 and today I've clocked in at 142. I'm 5'2" and a petite build, the weight wouldn't bother me as much if I knew I could work it off but it has just seemed impossible.

I've decided to ween off the Prozac and hopefully that will get my body back on track. I'll post back up if that seems to help. It is rather nice to know that it's not just me, and I've read a lot of really helpful posts too.

Trinity, I'm glad you are weening off the Prozac. I'm 4 months off Prozac and cannot lose one ounce of the 35 pounds I gained while on it.
Good luck to you and happy holidays.