Ive been off prozac now since maybe december november for my ocd. and ive gained about 20 pounds now. everything im doing is my regular routine. nothing has changed and im increasingly gaining like crazy??? ive now tried having more vegetables, mainly whole grains, fruit juices, water, cut down on fastfoods completely, fatty foods (which i use to avoid before for the most part). while on the prozac i was a size 25 and now ive gone up to almost a size 27/28?? im up all day on my feet at work -- its unreal!! my fear is im only 5'3 and barely 22 -- my family has diabetic history and heart problems! ive had to go to the hospital for a syncopie and they keep checking my blood sugar!!

PROZAC = Weight Gain.

I am unable to lose the 10 lbs that I have gained on prozac and I was only on 20 mg for 6 months! I have tried everything! The scale will not budge.

Before prozac, when I did gain a few lbs I could just work out a little harder and the weight would fall off...but after prozac, I can't get rid of it no matter what I do. I'm on 1200 calorie/day diet. I run 2 miles a day alternating with the insanity work out and 30 minutes of resistance training. Currently I'm 5'4 and 130 lbs. I've been off Prozac for about a year now. Still no weight loss.

I have read that for some people prozac causes weight loss. Congratz to those people. For most, weight gain is a huge issue.

lowermeadow19 wrote:

Hi! Is there anyone out there like me who loses weight with Prozac? I went on it at 20 mg @ 20 years ago and my weight was normal...I tend to be thin 5'1 and 98lbs. When I hit 35-38 I gained about 10+lbs probably due to metabolism changes and less active lifestyle. Eating less did not take the weight off. But I just upped my Prozac about 3 mos ago to 40 mg and since I've gone back down to 98- lbs. I'm not dieting or anything. Anyone else?

I have a fast metabolism and my normal weight is 100 lbs( 5'3"), I started a 20 mg dosage of Prozac, and within a month I was down to 90lbs eating without any changes to my lifestyle. Now, I'm tapering Prozac to nothing, and I've been gaining a pound per month.

stefandang wrote:

Hello all I was wondering if any of you could help. I've been on and off antidepressants for many years and have noticed after long term use I gain weight and no matter what I do I cannot shift it.

I tapered off effexor a couple of years ago and despite some weight loss the withdrawal was awful so I went onto prozac. After a year or so on prozac I again have gained weight and despite 1 hour of hard cardio exercise a day I cannot shift the weight. I tapered from 20mg (lowest dose) and stopped completely a week ago. I know the half life of prozac is long, but my weight has not shifted despite being off it. In the past when I haven't been on antidepressants and I do exercise like I am now - the weight easily came off.

I'm worried I'll never lose the weight and that I'll have to resort to starving myself or going on slimming pills (which I do NOT want to do)

Has anyone here stopped prozac and managed to lose weight? If so, how long did it take after stopping prozac for the metabolism to 'wake-up' and for the weight to start coming off?

Please reply!!

Thanks

Stef

im with the you and the side effects i saw say nothing ...except loss of appitite????wth???? if we werent depressed we will be now....i dont even want to go out.....im going off as of 2 days ago ill watch and let you know....good luck

Hello! I started taking zoloft about a year ago and lost weight, unfortunately it was doing nothing for my depression, ocd, or anything. so i was switched to prozac, eventually worked up to 50 mg over five monthes and then continued that until about two weeks ago i went down to twenty, I HAVE GAINED 20 LBS BECAUSE OF PROZAC, i am naturally extremely thin and bony and lose weight easy, at 5'8'' and usually 110 at most 113 if i just ate alot, (i used to eat alot and JUNK FOOD) NOW, because of prozac, i am constantly bloated and chubby looking at 130!? SSRI's are terrible for you, i am still depressed just in a different way, it helped my ocd a lot but i would say it's not worth it. I would rather take herbs and use therapy, it's NOT worth it. and now i'm afraid that i will never be back to normal

I have been on prozac for about 6 years I was very axious depressed and lossing my mind. Prozac stopped this. However I gained weight I too joined the gym, months later I have not lost any weight. I am now trying to come off prozac but I am down, miserable , depressed and illogical thinking is creeping in. How the hell do you get off these things or do I have to relapse , I feel so uncomfortab;e with my weight and as you know people comment on it which really helps! No one except us understands the way we feel about these side effects doctors most of the time dont understand at all. How do you get off these things with out feeling down ????

Help

I was on Prozac and did something called Zest4life. I've lost a stone and a half in 10 weeks and my metabolic age has reduced by at least 15 years. I have a lot more energy and now feel ready to come off Prozac.

Update:

March 1st I went to the doctor. I had lowered my calorie intake to 1600-1800 & exercised (Zumba) three times a week and I had GAINED another 10 lbs since January.

I found out I have a Vit D deficiency and have been taking 50,000 iu Vit D Rx for 6 weeks (two more weeks & I get it rechecked). I think it is helping with all of my issues from pain to weakness to weight loss.

I continue to got to Zumba for an hour, three times a week. (Still my favorite thing to do!)

My calorie intake is between 1200 and 1500. (lots of veggies, fruit, & chicken)

I take cinnamon supplements,  GNC Total Lean Burn 60, and GNC Herbal Plus Green Tea complex. (I started taking these around the time that I started the Vit D, so not sure if they really help but I'm not going to mess with it!)

I've lost 9.5 lbs in the last 4 weeks! xd

It's been over 6 months since I stopped taking Prozac. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I'm finally going to lose all the weight I gained while on Prozac & other anti-depressants!

thank you so much I was so happy to ready your comments it is the only positive one that I have read and it gives me hope. I have been on 20mg for nearly two years and have began tapering off and am on 10mg a day. and praying that I will get some of my weight off. Thank you.

I too have endured the horrors of Prozac.  I was on it for a year in my early 20s and it took 15 years for my metabolism to recover.  Seriously.  Did every diet there was.  Went to the gym like crazy.  Just had a recent episode of depression, and after trying tons of antidepressants was forced to go back to Prozac.  Two weeks into it, I had gained 10 lbs.  I stopped and refuse to take it.  It's a terrible drug for your metabolism.

Guest wrote:

Wow, i can relate to this so much. I was on prozac 20mg for 9 months and had to come off due to huge weight gain. I now cant shift the weight and feel very depressed. thought I would have to live the rest of my life depressed and overweight. I too look as if i am pregnant or just eaten a huge dinner. These post have helped so much. Thanks guys, maybe one day doctors will acknowledge this problem as mine certainly didnt. I will now look at ways of increasing my metabolic rate as I believe that is what the problemis. %-)

I have been so upset of late due to massive weight gain and yes i am on prozac 60mg a day so im going to wean my self off it as it seems i am just getting fatter and fatter,even though i watch what i eat,this is so frustrating isn't it,and there is no help out there you are just looked upon as being fat.I was unable to bathe,and had several falls.Fingers crossed this will work :)

I have been on Prozac 20mg for 20some years now.  I just saw Dr. Oz show saying it could be causing weight gain.  I just had tons of blood test a few months ago to see why I am so tired and why I gained 45 pounds.  All tests are normal.  The Dr. never mentioned my med. causing it!  I remember how great I felt after starting the med (energy increased, motivation increased, anxiety gone) and I'm scared to go back to that place again.  I would like to lose the weight though!!!!!  I don't overeat.  I CRAVE sweets!  They are my downfall.  Not sure what to do.  My go to one pill every other day and then none?  Dr. always said don't totally stop at once. 

I'm so glad I'm not the only one having issues with prozac! Last April I started taking 20 mg Prozac and I actually lost about 5 lbs on it. After a few months my doctor increased my dosage to 30 mg because I felt like 20 wasn't enough and that's when I started to put on the weight. I weighed 140 this time last year and I now weigh 155, I am so depressed about my weight! I managed to lose just about all the weight I gained when I was pregnant with my daughter and felt good about the way I looked then went on Prozac and gained half of it back :/ I have started weaning myself off of it and I'm hoping the weight comes off. Like a few of you said it wasn't so much fat but it just looks like I'm bloated, I can definitely tell in my face. Ugh.. I think I'm done taking antidepressants!!

I'm in the same boat :-( I was on prozac (fluoextine) for only 4 months on a low dose 20mg and put on 17lbs. I stopped taking them over a month ago (and tapered my dose for a month before that) and am eating healthily and haven't lost a pound! I'm only just over 5ft and I look awful. I wish I knew about this before I took the stuff, I'm sure I'd have found something else like St John's Wort or counselling - I'm so fed up as nothing fits me and managed to lose all my baby weight before I went on Prozac! I'm sure it does something to your metabolism as I work and run around after 3 children (including a 20 month old) I should be like a rake!

I'm afraid I have no idea what you're talking about! I've been on high dosages of Prozac for years, and have NEVER gained even an ounce! I lose weight at the drop of a hat while I'm on the stuff. I can take it like candy, and I lose weight! This drug is AMAZING! I'm a petite size four, always have been. I've never heard of anyone gaining weight or experiencing damage to their metabolism due to Prozac. These posts don't make sense. There must be some outside influence or genetic predisposition at work, because I'm proof that Prozac has no bearing on weight whatsoever. Just want to encourage readers out there who are being scared off trying Prozac due to this paranoid misinformation.