I am 48 years old and have been getting palpitations on and off over the last 2 months or so. My resting pulse rate has been round 90 and 108. A recent ECG was normal and doctor said my heart sounds OK. My GP seems to think the palpitations are stress related although I don’t think there is any more stress in my life than is usual.

You said there is no more stress in your life than usual. I presume, by this, that there is a possible situation that could be contributory. Most people do, of course, have daily stresses, but that is at an acceptable level. I guess you have a normally high level but have adapted yourself to cope with this increased level. Then perhaps it may be that stress is indeed a cause of your palpitations. Palpitations themselves are not harmful, but it is important to determine if they are a symptom of another problem. Maybe cause of palpitation is the one that needs to be treated. I think maybe you should have blood tests to eliminate other ailments such as infection, anaemia, thyroid gland problems or hormonal changes. All of these can be a cause of palpitations, between stresses. Off course it is good news that your ECG is OK. It is a somewhat complex circle of events but this circle needs to be broken at some point, so I would recommend you to check it all again.