I have been experiencing symptoms of anxiety for the last year or more now. My worse anxiety symptom is heart palpitations-I constantly feel like my heart is pounding far too fast and it causes my chest to hurt:( Does anyone experience this? How can I make my anxiety and my heart palpitations go away? I am concerned that its going to have a severe effects on my heart?

Hi Rosie! Can I take it from your moniker that you are about 45 - 46 years old? IF not I just need to know how old youare OK? Then I will help you further for sure!

Sorry I should have said, I am 20 coming on 21! I would really appreciate some help as my anxiety is so bad and I'm concerned about what its doing to my heart and I really don't know how to make it go away!

Hi Rosie! What you have is called Arrhythmia! It can happen from hormones, lack of sleep, VERY common in perimenopausal women, nicotine, stress, caffeine, panic attack disorders, even numbing injections for dental work! You have mentioned about your anxiety, so the first thing to do is to get an ECG - possibly a heart monitor - just to see if there is any heart problems! Also you need to start writing down when it happens, - eg. after running, after drinking a coffee, upset etc etc etc. This will help your doctor give you the appropriate treatment! Don't worry honey, this happens to MILLIONS of us, and more so in women! There are many treatments - including learning how to relax! So just get to your doctors tell them what is going on, and lets see what they say OK?

rosie64 wrote:

Hi Rosie, I am new to this site so please bare with me. I am at the moment experiencing the same thing. I went to my doctor who did an ecg and has told me it is nothing to worry about, but he is just being cautious. It still does not make me feel any better. All I can say is alot of people I have spoken to have also experienced them and trying to relax does not always work. Have you tried doing something to take your mind of it like excersise. I have found this helps a bit and try and avoid being stressed.

Hi Deb! I - Like Rosie would get these ALL the time, then I switched to Decaf, NEVER drink Pop, try and get a good nights sleep! AND I take Anti Stress Vitamins - ALL the B's and also Calcium and Magnesium/Potassium and Vitamin D. I have found that this has worked SO much for me, Also when I get that "Drum" I try to breath through it, before I just held my breathe - from upset and worry - thus making it worse! Exercise is also a good idea - as it is a stress reducer! I can't even count how many women I know that have this - I think we are just SO overwhelmed with day to day life and being ON all the time! A dear friend of mine has started meditation, you should see her! I actually asked her the other day if she has had work done on her eyes - it has taken away about 10 years, she just looks less worried and haggered! When I get a moment I am really going to look into that! So try that too! Just know that there are millions of women who suffer from this, as long as your heart is fine it can give you a bit of peace of mind! Good luck and health!

bambi27 wrote:

Hi Bambi27, Its interesting what you were saying bout yhe magnesium I have read that it is good for palpitations. Ironically since posting my message mt palpitations have stopped. My auntie asked if I was drinking enough as dehydration can be a cause, so I drank more water.I have to say I was not drinking very much anyway. She works in a hospital in Canada and specialises in hearts amongst other things, But I have to say my sister gets them alot and tried drinking more water. It did not work for her. Anything is worth a try.

I can't remember the name of the supplement BUT it is Calcium with Potassium, Magnesium, Zinc, And Vitamin D! This helped me SO much! Also Co Enzyme Q10 and Any of the good oils - Omega 3/6/9's, sleep - IF I'm tired, watch out!!! - and drinking water not caffeine! It is a LOT to do with hormones as well - thus premenopausal women getting this a LOT! I used to concentrate on EVERY little blip, but now I don't ! Also know womething I was told by a cardiologist! We have 2 aeortas - 1 in our hearts, and the other in our stomach area! And actully I wore a halter and hit the button everytime I had a blip! So I kept pressing, but when they read my halter reading, it showed that I had NO heart blips! So they stated that as women get older, we have more stomach aeorta blips - which we confuse with the heart@! BUT that said, I put my fingers on my cortroid artery and voila, there are those blips, so I don't know what to think about that!

Hi Rosie, as I lay here typing, I am having horrible heart palps, so frustrated this is how I came across your post. It makes my anxiety worse cause I feel doom..please write me so we can share our experiences and what we do to help it..=) Emily

hi im 32 and i also have heart palps i have been too the doctor once and they said it was nothing wrong it could be stress. i knw i have anxiety but these palps make me believe something is really wrong. sometimes i have little discomfort with them as well.. what should i do?

Omg Rosie my dear, you are not alone! I am currently 20 years old and I have the same problem. I have a history of experiencing anxiety attacks where I've had to been rushed to the doctor - not fun - but I've noticed the past few days I've been getting heart palpatations like crazy! It usually happens when I undergo a series of negative emotions and I start going into panic mode - not a smart idea! it's still scary and I can't help like feeling I'm going to die. The doctor says I'm fine and has done an ekg in his office to assure me it wasn't my heart but my mind. I'm still struggling with the whole 'mind over matter' thing.
anyway I noticed that this has been poster a little over two years so I'm sure - hopefully- you're doing much better! I just wanted to share my story and tell you how much your topic helped me! It makes me feel better when I read about women who are going through the same thing you know? But I hope you're feeling better!! And we'll all get through this stupid anxiety! :)

I am a 51 year old woman and I haven't yet gone through menopause.  However, in the last 3 months I have had a lot of anxious feelings, sleeplessness and just recently I have started having a lot of heart palpitations.  Along with that I have a sensation of fullness in my throat.  I have worried that it's my heart but I have recently had an EKG and it was normal.  I wonder if all of this is due to me being so close to menopause.  If I just knew....I believe my anxiety level would go down.  It is definitely a vicious cycle.

Hi..Im a 56 yr old woman and Ive been having that "I always feel my heart beating " for months now.  I experienced this a few years ago and had an ekg and also wore a 24 hr halter/monitor and they found nothing.  I have gone through menopause this last year and dont sleep well at all.  Im thinking this has alot to do with it.  I also notice if I eat high sodium foods I am so much more aware of my heartbeat.  I was worried about "A Fib", but I know a few people with that and it seems they have very dramatic episodes and their heart rate soars.  Mine is never higher than in the 80's.  Im also thinking of cutting caffeine. Have two big mugs a day, maybe that will help.  It is true, there are so many women with this problem.   Otherwise, Im really healthy!

Its anxiety I have it the dr can give you something to control the palptations