Hello everyone. I hope that you are doing fine because I am not. My sister's daughter, my lovely niece is just 13 years old. She is ok, she eats healthy, she is playing sports all the time. She went to see her doctor because she had her routine check up and doctor told us that she has heart palpitations. She never had any symptoms, we talked with her about this but she is telling us that nothing has happened to her. She is feeling just fine.

Can you tell me what are the causes of heart palpitations with no other symptoms?

Hey there. I am really surprised because she didn’t have any of those symptoms. Heart palpitations are actually those feelings of having rapid, fluttering or pounding heart. Those are the main symptoms and I know that heart palpitations can be triggered by stress, exercise, some medication, etc. Sometimes they can be related with some other medical condition. They require the treatment, it doesn’t matter if they are harmless or not. For example, at the beginning they can be harmless but very soon they can become dangerous. I am not sure what the causes are. You need to do some tests to find this out.

Good day everyone. The main symptoms of palpitations can vary from patient to patient. Of course, there are some common features. A perception of irregularity of the pulse, an uneasiness in the chest, or even the stage when you can feel something like flip-flopping in the chest are the symptoms. But very often, people describe their palpitations as "my heart stops to beat." Certainly a feeling of strong pulse throughout the chest, head, and neck could well be described as a palpitation and I am pretty sure that your sister some of those symptoms occasionally.  Did she had them ever? 

You know what are the main causes of the heart palpitations? Lifestyle triggers! That is my final answer.  Palpitations can be triggered by a surge of adrenaline and that is a hormone your body usually releases after you have overexerted yourself or when you feel nervous, anxious, excited. Even the panic attacks can cause it. Also, if you love to eat rich, very spicy foods, if you are drinking excessive amounts of caffeine or even the alcohol, if you are smoking cigarettes, and if you are using recreational drugs – that all can bring on palpitations.

Good thing is that those heart palpitations usually are not dangerous.  Heart palpitations can be bothersome or frightening for every patient. Usually, like I told you before they are not serious or harmful. Most of the time, they're related to stress or with anxiety or to consumption of stimulants such as caffeine, nicotine or alcohol as well. Very often, they can occur during pregnancy.

In rare cases, palpitations can be a sign of a more serious heart condition and that is why you need to monitor them. So, if you have heart palpitations, make arrangements to see your doctor and seek for some help.