Hello there guys.

My ex girlfriend called me today. Yes, she is an ex but we are friends and my wife knows about this situation. She called me today because she knows that I am having some health and heart issues just like my wife, and she told me that she has heart palpitations in chest. So she went to see another doctor and she found out that ECG is negative.

Now, she is confused and she wants to know what that means and I am now confused as well because I am not familiar with those cases. Can you tell me something about it?

Do you have any experience?

Tnx! 

Hi there The Big Z.

A heart palpitation is the sensation that your heart has skipped a beat or even added an extra beat. Sometimes it may feel like your heart is racing or fluttering. Sometimes, you may become overly aware of your heart beat.

Now, I need you to tell me is she really diagnosed with heart palpitations or she just think that she has it , and she went to see the doctor, but ECG was negative?

Sometimes we feel some extra beats and we are sure that we have heart palpitations but something else is wrong with the heart.

Good day there.

I also want to know has she had any of those symptoms. You are good with her and you should ask her this. Now, often when the first test is done, that is an ECG. This test is very simple and records your heart’s electrical activities. And ECG is usually there to detect and locate the source of the heart problems. It shows how exactly your heart is beating fast and it shows are there some rhythms that are irregular.

Even if the ECG is normal she can also have some conditions that are causing palpitations. In this case, I think that she needs to do blood test.

Hey there everyone.

I hope that three of you are doing fine.

Look I agree with all of you, but you forgot to mention one very important thing. No cause for the palpitations can be found in up to 15 percent of the patients. ECG monitoring is usually indicated if the ethology of palpations cannot be found in the patient’s history, in the physical examination or in resting ECG.

Maybe that is the reason in your friend’s case?

Maybe doctor will recommend to take Holter monitoring for one day? That is a very big possibility and maybe that will find the cause of her possible heart issues.

Hey there everyone.

It doesn’t have to mean that she is dealing with heart palpitations, you know that? Maybe it is something else. Since she hasn’t explained that good to you what is going on with her, it is very hard to tell what is going on. Of course that in this case, if she is dealing with heart palpitations ECG can be negative, but maybe there is something else going on with her.

Maybe she is having some small, invisible heart attack? It can be this. My friend’s mom had all those symptoms and ECG was showing nothing. Later, she had invisible heart attack.