I am 50 years old and have been getting palpitations on and off over the last few months. My resting pulse rate has been between 90 and 108, and recent ECG was normal and my heart sounds just fine. My doctor seems to think the palpitations are stress related so I want to hear could it be true. I do not think there is any more stress in my life than usual, so I wonder there is some other cause for this. I would appreciate to hear more about connection between palpitations and stress.

Since you said there is no more stress in your life than usual, I would like to know how much is usual for you. I presume, by this, that there is a possible situation, which could be contributory to palpitations in your case. Most people do have daily stresses, but at an acceptable level, and it should not be cause of palpitations. If you have a normally high level, but have adapted yourself to this, then it may be that stress is indeed a cause of your palpitations. Palpitations themselves are not harmful, you have to know this and stop be worried so much. However, it is important to determine if they are a symptom of another problem that needs to be treated. I would recommend you to have blood tests to eliminate other ailments such as infection, anemia, thyroid gland problems or hormonal changes. All of these can be a cause for palpitations, so I think you should be checked for those. However, I find it good news that your ECG is normal, so there is probably some other problem. It is a somewhat complex circle of events but this circle needs to be broken at some point, and you doctor is the only one who could help you.