For the past three years I have had a number of "lady problems". I never hve a reliable period (spotting, missed periods, painful periods, pain druring sex, ect.). My stomach is bloated, I experiance painful pelvic pain all month long, pain in my lower back, I pee a lot, I have a stabbing pain in my pelvic area when I have a bowel movement, I have no sex drive, and I have horrible hadaches. I am about t be 22. I have no STDs and there is no chance of pregnancy. doctor says I don't have any cysts or anything and they continued while I was pregnant

I was first leaning towards ovarian cysts, so this has already been ruled out! So now I'm on the fence between 2 - thyroid and auto immune disorder! Has your thyroid been tested? And how is your hair and energy level? Also do you have joint pain, and can't sit in the sun? I suspect that the painful intercourse is from vulvodynia and vaginismus! Many times - for us women - IF we had trauma to the area or have had pain there before, your brain WILL protect you and make it virtually impossible to have a normal sex life! Believe me - been there done that, and STILL dealing with it! So you have had a delivery - was there pelvic trauma? And were you ever referred to a Pelvic tear clinic?

Thank you for responding to my post.  I have not had a thyroid test. I have always had thin hair so I don't know if I would notice if it was changing too much.  I am horribly tired all the time and it is starting to interfere with playing with my one-year-old.  I am pretty fair skinned and freckled. I don't go in the sun because I burn so idk about that either. I have joint pain and have for many years. I even did physical therapy with no improvement. When I had my daughter I had two stitches and that was a pretty easy delivery.  She was very small.  I have had the pain for a least three years. Sometimes it hurts during sex sometimes it doesn't. I also get hot flashes if that says anything and have been getting those since I was a bout 16. 

OK! So this is what I am thinking 1. Thyroid problems. 2. Rheumatoid Arthritis 3. Low problematic hormones 4. Lupus - which is rarer. Regarding all 4 of these you will need a blood workup. They need to do a TSH, TPO, T4, T3, Reverse T3, TSI, Anti Thyroid Antibodies. the FULL gamut of Thyroid tests! I TRULY believe it is your thyroid! And I would really like you to get tested ASAP! As this can lead to a treatment and you feeling SO much better! Please let me know how you make out! Good luck honey!

Well, I have been tested for Rheumatoid Athritis and Lupus. Both were negative. Thank you for all your thoughts. I am supose to talk with my doctor today. I will bring up the Thyroid thing when I do.

So how did things go?

She had her medical assistant call me. She said she wanted to send me to a gastrointerologist. They got me an appointment next Tuesday, and said they will probablly give me a colonoscopy. I was kinda disapointed that she didn't have anything else to say about it. Hopefully I can get this new doctor to listen to me. This is the third doctor who has just sent me to someone else.

SAY WHAT?!!!! They wont do a colonoscopy next week! That's crazy, a Gastroenterologist is for your stomach etc. A Procotologist would do a colonoscopy! this is ridiculous, as you have already had a ultrasound - which would have shown any endometriosis (which can definitely give some of your symptoms!" 

IF you have a walk in clinic near you - I would like you to go to them to tell them about your symptoms! And tomorrow I want you to phone her office and ask WHY you are being sent to a Stomach doctor when this is about female problems - including painful intercourse!!!! IF it is for Endometriosis then fine! IF it is about your stomach then I REALLY have a problem with this!

bambi27 wrote:

I think you need to re think what you posted. I have recently spent 11 days in hospital with chronic pelvic and abdominal pain. The first thing is  gastroenterologists DO do colonoscopys. Also if you have done some more research an ultrasound cannot definately show endo. They usually do a laproscopy to confirm dignosis of Endo. Thirdly, yes this lady does have "female problems" but as the whole menstrual cycle ect can be easily put off with underlying problems this could be the case why the doctor is sending her to a gastroenterologist. I have been through all of this and still am. I have had a gastroscopy and many other tests done.

And what did they find out from your hospital stay!? I find it VERY strange that they would send this lady to a Gastroenterologist and also state that she will also be getting a colonoscopy at the same time? Granted a Gastro might do those, but right away without even seeing her? With ALL of her symptoms I doubt very much it is related to her colon/stomach. She has also had blood tests done and then gets a phonecall about sending her to have a colonoscopy! this does NOT make sense to me at all! Also she suffered while she was pregnant as well so this is obviously an underlying condition or a chronic contion, and I still stand by my original statement stating that I think it is a Thyroid issue and thus me wanting her to get this checked before having a colonoscopy! Also with regards to you telling me to do my research, first of all tests - such as xray, ultrasound, ct scan, MRI don't always show what is going on, and endometriosis can show up on any organ inside the gut and pelvis, some are caught by ultrasound others need to have laproscopic surgery! I want this lady to go through the least invasive testing first! NOT straight to a colonoscopy and or a laproscopic surgery!

I have tried to help you in the past and I am quite taken aback by your statement! With ALL the female problems I have suffered through in my life - and many are just like this lady, I have NEVER been told it was a colon or a gastro reason. And you yourself have stated that no one can find out what is going on with you! so have you had a colonoscopy for your female problems? If so I stand corrected.

Hi, yes and I do appreciate your help that you have provided me previously. As I am about to go travelling I have had to post pone my appointments but my gastroenterologist did my gastroscopy without seeing me. He went off my symptons, I had actually not gone into see him before. I agree yes it could be thyroid but it could be so many other things. Regarding the endo, yes ultrasound is done but it can not be diagnosed soley on that and, Im not sure of what your meaning of Invasive is but i would not find laproscopic surgery invasive. Yes some people have different beliefs and i respect that.  By what this lady has said this has been going on for a while, so as I have gotton to that point, I'm up for anything that may help find whats is causing my problems. By the sounds of it also the doctors this lady has been seeing hasn't been very helpul in her eyes, and I know (might be because of my age) but they didnt tell me alot in the way of why or what they were looking for. Also biopsy's taken from a colonoscopy may show something up. Yes I agree with you in the respect of not just jumping in and doing everything before surgery and invasive procedures but I know I'm up to doing anything to help find out or even work out how to relieve the symptons. If you found what I said a bit rude I am sorry but I'm not sure if you know this lady personally but by what she has said on here it could be many things.

Once again, thank you for everything you did for me.

When it comes to "women's troubles" many doctors try ALL kinds of things and give different diagnosis's and as doctors they always think that IF they can't fix it then it must not be anything. And I think this has been the case for both yourself and this lady.

I suffered for YEARS and only was diagnosed when I was 29, they had put me on hormones - that stopped my period for a year, different birth control pills, MAJOR painkillers, a DNC, etc. I had 3 laproscopy's - and suffered from them (the gas more than anything)) and then finally a new gynecologist found the problem - my veins around my uterus were the size of a mans thumb - and they were supposed to be the size of a hair. The doctor that FINALLY sorted this out was probably my 7th specialist. I kept thinking it was in my head. And I also found that women doctors - who had NEVER had a cramp or problem, were actually the least sympathetic.

I have really thin hair - a lot of it, but it's thin, and they thought i too had something wrong with my Thyroid - and the first doctor didn't check off ALL the tests (which I found out later) it wasn't that anyway. But I truely believe that sometimes you have to lead the doctor - ever so gently - down the right path.

When a doctor doesn't know what's wrong - and thus isn't treating it - as you and this lady know, it can be VERY disheartening. You want it to be something, but just nothing major, so you can say to family/partners/friends "SEE It IS something" like almost a validation of ALL your suffering. This is the same for Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Fibromyalgia (it even shows this as a misspelled word LOL) - doctors ALWAYS said it was in the patients mind. And people were kicked off of insurance, lost their jobs etc. it was horrible.BUT now it is considered a legitimate problem. So as I usually say, this is YOUR body and you are in control of your future. IF they say something that doesn't make sense, ask away and demand more from professionals. You know if something is wrong, so don't take NO for an answer.

And Jessica, you sound SO much like me when I was your age, from 14/15 till about 20 then it went away for a bit then came back. I was DISABLED with pain when I was 15, I couldn't even stand straight up, my pelvis was SO tight and pulsating, and just rolls of cramps, I would vomit, I had back aches (from my poor posture) headaches, diarrhea, pain from top to toe, EVERYONE - my guy friends included, my teachers etc. heck even people in the street would know, as it was impossible to function and stand straight. I went on the pill at 15 and it did help, but only temporarily, it would only take about 1 year and then my body would start being in pain etc. So Jessica I would like you to bring up about the veins around your uterus - hopefully they have checked for endometriosis. And also perhaps you do need to be on hormone pills to stop your periods - it did help with me, I was just worried about the long term effects etc. 

You are right that her symptoms and yours too could be anything, I just want her and you to start off with the least problematic, I would take a blood test over a laproscopy ANY day! How are you doing now Jessica - after being in hospital? I used to have to go to emergency at least once a month for a morphine shot and a muscle relaxant. So I feel for you both that's for sure! And apology accepted! :-)

My doctor thought that my pelvic pain was related to the bloating, gas, and alternating diarrhea and constipation. I told her that those things get worse when my periods worsen.  I myself have gone to the hospital many times for the same pains during my period and sometimes not during my period.  I went 6months once with out a period and the bloating and bowel issues got worse with each month. I nearly lost my job because I was in so much pain and could hardly stand let alone work. I am kinda glad they sent me to another doctor because the other one wan't listening to all of my complaints. I will let you know what happens but I hope it is better with this doctor.

Has anyone done a laproscopy on you? And also knowing that you have had this gas and stomach/colon problems - I see why she is sending you to a specialist - So I am just wondering if anyone has ordered a laproscopy for you - to see if you have endometriosis!? You have quite the symptoms that is for sure and it sounds like you have suffered a lot! :-( I just want to add a personal note, when I was going through all of that, I would be constipated - or not go - for upto 3 or 4 weeks at a time! I had a ridiculous doctor who told me that due to my body being SO well functioning my body was using ALL the waste!!!!! Then I met this fantastic doctor - at this little walk in clinic - that told me the reason why I felt SO yucky was from the build up, and had me start eating prunes, and gave me antibiotics - as I was actually infected from this! And for years I was OK! And then when it came back with a vengeance - and also my uterus pain, my gyno told me to have a hysterectomy - which I did! And I haven't had a problem with my bowels since! 

Many women - who have severe pelvic pain - usually also have diarrhea around the time of their periods etc. And now that I know this has been going on with you, I feel that they are both connected! BUT I still believe that you should have different blood tests to rule out illnesses before they start prodding around and taking tissue samples! I hope they can help you next week! And please let me know if they have any clues as to what is causing all of this?

hey thanks, too be honest you are the first person that I have heard that has had the same sorta thing as me. the docs said for me the chances of endometriosis is very minimal because going off an ultrasound my endometrium is only 3mm thick-which is below normal i think. I will know more when I go to melbourne for my gastroenterologist appointment on the 4th of august. Yeah, you are SO SO SO right. I actually had a doctor say that it was in my head, in the respects of saying that i take on other peoples worries and get stressed easily (which I DONT get stressed even at exam time, there is no point you dont gain anything) He is sending me to this adolescent specialist and I don't want to go because he will just tell me how to relieve stress and sh*t. I was so disheartened when this doctor told me. He also told my parents that if i said i was in pain dont make a deal out of it just say you'll be right. I mean saying that is one thing but saying it in front off me is another. He also said that they shouldnt say like "awww, my legs are killing me" (my mum suffers from fluid in her legs which is quite painful some nights). yeah anyway he said that they shoudnt do that because i will take it on and will make my symtpons worse or some sh*t.  He was an emergency doctor and spoke to me for about 10 minutes and just "diagnosd" me with this because they couldnt find anything on he blood tests and ultrasounds. As I know something is wrong, either gynelogical or digestive either way, I know something is wrong.

Personally, I am not a whinger (sorry for spelling, not sure if its right), I have been doing martial arts for 6 years and have learnt many things but my pain tollerence has definately gone up. I know its stupid of me and when it gets bad yes I do help myself but if i dont have incredible pain i will just put up with it. I'm not even sure why but i hate just taking stuff for the hell of it. I'm over doctors saying try this try that and there not doing anything. I would hate to think how many prescriptions i have had this year. Pharamcy probably thinks i am a drugo or something :P. Reagrds to the diahorea, i get it all the time which then leads to dehydration, but as you said it gets worse around my period and yep your spot on! When I was 7 i was diagnosed with cluster migraines and they also get worse with my period. I am actually terrified of the arrival of my period as I know it is going to be so awful. With the hair issue aswell, I'm the same. My hair is very fine. And i have a fair amount not alot though. For the past 6 months when I wash my hair strands always come out. When i was younger i was bald till i was 2 and then had fine blonde hair and it has gradually grown to what i have now- which is a light brown thin hair.

Also when you described the pain, it is exactly what I expierience. How did they find out about your veins? and if you dont mind me asking, other then a hysterectomy what can they do? Also, since I've been out of hospital, i havent been that great. I was told to take 2 months off school which almost killed me, i love school!!! so, its been a little easier to cope but its still been bad. I'm over having to worry about if what im about to eat will upset my stomach and everything. I really just want an answer :(. I'm going to get a referall to a gyno as, everything is connected.

Thanks, I don' think i missed anything i wanted to say :P