Recently (past month or so), I've started noticing changes in my girlfriend's behavior. One second she would snap on me, and pounce on me the next second. Within a couple minutes she can switch from laughing to crying, vice versa. Even her moods are confusing to her I think. She usually does PMS but its a lot longer than usual nowadays. Also she keeps complaining how she's been tired, cramping w/o her period and her lower back is sore as well as when we were trying to have sex her breasts would be extremely sensitive. I haven't kept track of her periods since we're in a long distance relationship but I fly over about every two weeks to visit her. I could just be paranoid but I realized that she had been on some antibiotics recently which I heard can cancel out the effects of birth control. I don’t know much about pregnancy symptoms though, I always assumed its when a woman throws up.

The only reason I think she might not be telling me is because since we've known each other since we were 13 and for some reason I've always been nervous/uncomfortable around kids, which she's well aware of, but lately she would talk about them and coo more than usual and make "awww, i want one" comments whenever we'd pass by a baby.

I really care for her, we've known each other for years and have been through a lot together as friends then in a relationship, so I really don't want to lose her. Although I never saw kids as part of the plan I care enough about her to make it work. I just don't know how to approach her about it? Or could she not be pregnant? I just don't know what reaction I’ll get so I’m feeling a little lost.

Hi Ryan! First of all antibiotics only affect SOME BCP! And it only lessens their effectiveness by a couple of percent! It does NOT negate them! BUT due to them decreasing the effectiveness and say down to 95% then 5 out of 100 girls will not be protected! I think you should tell her what you have stated on here, and ask her to take a pregnancy test, it might be something she needs to hear from you! And if she is worried about being pregnant OR is freaking out that she is! Then she will need that reasurrence from you so she can move forward and get the results! The way I see it honey is this, IF it wsn't for "oops's" Half the world wouldn't be here! So talk to you "friend" and tell her to find out! Please let me know how you make out OK? Good luck and health to both of you!

Hey bambi27 (sorry, not quite sure what your name is!), thanks for the advice. Wow, it's kind of funny how it's only a 5% chance because my girlfriend is in fact pregnant. Thanks for the advice though, I did what you told me and sat her down and asked her what was going on but was being supportive. She said she had a lot of time to think (she's 6 weeks along) and how before she had been thinking about leaving me and having the baby by herself because she didn't think I was mature enough to handle it. In all honesty, fatherhood is a daunting reality but I'm willing to mature and grow up now and that was a close call. Anyways, thanks again! I'm going to see the ultra-sound tomorrow so that should be exciting =]

You are welcome Ryan! And the first ultrasound is NOT exciting its a BLOB!!!! ;-) XD XD XD But the next one where you hear their heartbeat and see a head a nose and them sucking their thumb! THAT is one of the most amazing things to see! THAT is the moment it hits you! So good for you for being supportive, sure it is daunting, but it is also FABULOUS! So get in ALL the overtime you can - you are going to need it!!!! ;-) XD Good luck and health to all 3 of you!

The symptoms you mention do point to a possible pregnancy. Mood swings, lower backaches, cramping without a period, and fatigue are all pregnancy symptoms. Having said that, she will have more information about her body than you do. She'll know for sure if she has had a period or missed one, for instance. 

I'm female too so I know it can be kind of awkward to openly talk about worries that you might be pregnant when you don't want to be and especially if you know your boyfriend isn't ready to be a dad yet. If she is pregnant or suspects she is, she might just be really worried about how you will react! Why don't you ask her about it? Mention you have noticed some changes about her and you're wondering whether she could be pregnant. If she is, she will probably really appreciate it if you ask, so she doesn't have to worry about how to bring it up.