I stopped smoking 7 months ago. I have never felt worse in my life. At this point my biggest concern is swelling. I had convinced myself that I must have something awful wrong with me. I started swelling after I quit and it just got worse. I read somewhere that this could be from quitting. The swelling is all over...face, arms hands, and legs. Am I alone in this or has anyone else had this problem? I can not get any answers and with the terrible anxiety I now have too I have become house bound for the most part. There seems to be a cloud of doom hanging over me. I am 60 years old and smoked for 40 or more years. I can do without the cigarettes now, but don't know how much of this I can take.

Hello Judy, I am a Judy too. I am sorry to hear tou are having such issues. I just quit smoking a little over a week ago.

In Dec of 2010 I was diagnosed with DVT in left leg and I also had a PE-Pulmonary Embolism.  Both of these problems, DVT and PE are blood clots. PE is the lung.

I took warfarin for a year and then Dec. 2011 they did an ultrasound on my leg and the clots were gone. They also did what is called a D-dimer test that if 500 and below means you are clot free.

Jan. 22, 2012 I could not catch my breath no matter how few steps I took. I went into urgent care and sure enough, I now had a blood clot in both lungs and my leg. So they called an ambulance and had me taken to hospital. My D-dimer was 9,000 and the cat Scan showed the clots, 1 in each lung.

I guess to make a long story short, the symptomm that discovered the clots in my leg in the first place was my leg swelling up anf being as hard as a rock. 

Have you seen a Dr. for this swelling problem? It just isn't normal.  Clots wouldn't make you swell all over but something is causing the swelling. heart issues can do this.  If you haven't seen a Dr., get to one quick.

I have a son who has Polymyositis and he found out by his body swelling up all over. But he got so weak he could hardly lift himself up from the couch.

I guess the point I am trying to make and have already said is if you haven't been to a Dr. I would get there as soon as possible. Please.

Judytoo

i have the same problem..my left hand is gone numb and my legs are like balloons..very scarey...

Hello. I hope this makes you feel better because I am 60 and just quit smoking after 45 years and my body is swelling as well and pain in my arms and legs. My doctor sent me to get an ultrasound on my legs to be certain there are no blood clots and there are not. When I'm on my feet for a long time I swell but it has progressively gotten better. It's been 2 weeks since I quit. I felt like I was dying! I also started a statin for Cholestrol which is supposed to make your muscles ache. I just stopped those as well and I'm asking for something different. Our bodies are so complicated it's mind boggling. Just be certain you get all the facts and don't freak out until then. Hope this helps. Even though the last post was a year ago I'd like to know how you faired.