This post is an extension of the

Lump in throat after quit smoking thread.

Please continue posting within this thread.

Hello everyone I quit smoking almost 2 months ago. Smoked for 20 years I am 36 and have been dealing with symptoms ever since, I have neck and back pain mostly on my left side, cough with the tar comming up, joint pain, and fatigue, always need to sleep hard getting through the day. The tightness in the chest has been on and off for me for awhile since getting pnemonia. I hope this post helps anyone else who is fighting the fight.

I am 48 years old and quit smoking after 30 years on Dec. 2nd. I am fairly active and I have been running 15 to 20 miles a week as far back as I can remember. About 3 weeks ago, I felt some palpitations in my heart....went to see the doctor, got a stress echo test and the results came back normal. However, the palpitations are still there...and my only lifestyle change was quitting the smoking habit. I do take a daily synthroid (175) for hypothyroidism. Is there anybody else with a similar issue ? or can someone offer some guidance.

Thanks

Hi Folks,

I came across this thread while searching for information about a lump in my throat and associated pain after I quit smoking.

Here is a simple solution that came in handy for me - might help one of you as well.

Go to an Indian grocery store and buy Turmeric (Haldi in hindi). It comes in pouches and isn't too expensive. Try to pick a good quality brand based on price.

Next heat up some water to near boiling and add a pinch of the turmeric to a small glass of this hot water. Sip and feel the turmeric coat your throat. The pain should abate in a couple of days.

Do a google search on turmeric. It has many beneficial qualities.

best.

I had terrible palpitations for sometime after I quit smoking in last April, I did not have palpitations before quit smoking. Went to my doctor had ECG checked and he said my heart was normal, but the palpitations have been with me for months after quit smoking. Doc said quit smoking can cause heart palpitations! I think your palpitations will get easier as time passes just like mine. I did not see so many tough withdrawl symptoms coming from smoking quit, but I understood them now, since I experienced many of them. Take care and don't smoke again.

I have read both articles and yes my throat feels lined with flem and can't get rid of it easily.

Will see how it goes in the next 2-4 weeks (quit just over 2 weeks ago after 10-15 a day for 8 years).

Good to see that this is documented! (although not officially as it should be)

I quit smoking just a few days ago. I've always heard about people getting the sore throat/sinus/flu type symptoms but have never heard anything about all the lung pain.

All I know is this is it. I'm through with smoking. I welcome the healing.

Have faith everyone and rock the quit!

I'm so glad I ran across this post. I quit smoking about 3 weeks ago. Last week I got a horrible sore throat. It was red and swollen inside with white spots on the sides. I had a fever with it too. I went to the doc and was treated for strep. I feel much better, but my throat feels dry and my ears are very itchy on the inside. I usually do not get sick and this is scaring me. I hope this stops soon.

This is about the 3rd and hopefully last time that I've tried to quit smoking. I'm on my 4th day without smoking and I have a nasty sore throat that woke me up several times in the night last night and coughing up a hearty sized ball of phlem in the morning. (I know.. gross)
I'm really glad to have found this post and realize that I'm not the only one going through similar symptoms. I feel that I am very much ready to quit this time and hope that these uncomfortable symptoms pass quickly.
I sure hope that it is indeed my body and lungs healing.
Best of luck to everyone else who is fighting this battle.
We can do it!
:-D

I am glad to have come across this post. I quit smoking a little over two weeks ago after smoking about a pack a day for fifteen years. I decided to quit because I was feeling sick...pain in lungs, trouble breathing...and I am only 32. I used Chantix for a little over a week, but decided to stop after I was over the nicotine withdrawal. My chest feels tight and I sometimes feel like I am breathing through a straw. I was recently diagnosed with asthma, and given an albuterol inhaler - which does not seem to cut it at all. I had gone to an allergist, had all sorts of lung and heart tests done, but none of the tests showed anything, except that I have asthma. Is this what it is supposed to feel like when you quit smoking? As others had stated, I wish these potential effects were posted. I feel like a total nutcase!

I'm so glad i found this forum! i've been suffering from many of the symptoms above and like others haver been incredibly paranoid. Its good to know what i'm going through is common as it feels awful. My resolve is now totally strong to keep going as if this is what happens when your body cleans itself out imagine the harm your doing by continuing to smoke.
I do wonder why allof this is such a secret though, i was begining to wonder if it was all in my mind as the doctor has said. I feel that rather than put people of quitting it would make people realise why they have to.
Good luck to all in your journey

Like everyone else, I am extremely happy to of found this forum as well! I am 28 years-ols and I had my last kiss with a cig just One week ago! The distance between us bring a smile of sheer joy on my face. The nicotine cravings are gone and I will Never join forces with those little suckers again :-).

I woke yesterday morning with a slight burning sensation in my throat; Felt as though I was on the verge of getting a bad cold. I do not get sick...better yet I will go to any extent to stay far away from it. I'm Extremely active and I eat very healthy! So when I awoke yesterday with this neuiense in my throat I immediately started uping my vitamins and took it easy. When I awoke this morning, I started to get a little concerned. My chest is tight, breathing is a little difficult and the burn is my throat is horrible.

How crazy and sick is it to think that if I bought a pack of cigs that all these symptoms would subside by tomorrow. How Disgusting!!! I am a fighter and I will get though this and I hope that you will too.

Same problems here - itchy ears and the worst sore throat I've experienced since my teen years. I am 39 years old and quit smoking cold turkey 29 days ago. I had smoked for 17 years. It is heartening to know that my symptoms are being experienced by others who have recently quit. What I have found is that a neti pot is amazing and clears up the sore throat immediately. I use the neti pot as often as the sore throat returns, and it really gives me the confidence that I will get through this. I also bought Zand's Organic Throat Spray with Echinacea and Tea Tree Oil, which has been terrific, as well (and will also help in fighting off infection during this very susceptible time). I have been lucky in not experiencing (so far, anyway) any burning in my lungs. I am drinking lots of water and staying very positive about everything, and have a great support system in my wonderful girlfriend who is very proud of what I'm doing. I know I'll get through it, and reading all of your stories gives me that extra kick in the butt that I need if I ever doubt that the sore throat will disappear. Like another poster said, how sick it is to think that a single cigarette would make these symptoms subside. That realization makes me more and more confident that the fight is well worth it. Best of luck to everyone! -Raj

I gave up just over a year ago. In the first couple of months I experienced odd episodes of shallow breathing, which felt as if I couldn't breath deeply and would usually happen when I was lying down. However, it went away completely within 6 months and has not returned.

Giving up the cigs also gave me the feeling of having a lump (or food) in my throat, particularly after eating. I went to the doctor, who could find nothing wrong except possible acid reflux. Not much help there. However, I eventually found an old home remedy that worked for me in getting rid of this problem - which was 2 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar mixed into a tall glass of warm water and sipped slowly over an hour or so every morning. Tastes horrible, but it really worked for me.

I am happy that I came across this post. I was very worried that I might have gotten swine flu or something but it turns out all of my symptoms are normal for quitting. I am on my fourth day with the patch and so far it seems like I am getting used to not have a cig in my hand all of time. I smoked about a pack a day for 8 years and now I am kicking myself for not quitting sooner.

So far the worst part are the muscle aches, the fatigue and the soar throat. My neck and right arm have been killing me all day, I have also been having this terrible ache in my lower back that pulsates. Hopefully this won't last too long but I am expecting the worst. I do feel like I can breathe clearer than ever before though, I hope the lung pain is one thing that doesn't happen to me.

I also find it strange that my girlfriend and some of my friends that quit never experienced any of these terrible symptoms, I guess they are just lucky.

Oh well, one day at a time.