Hi, I was wondering if you could tell me something about the effects of sun exposure. I always thought that the symptom of sunburn is red hot skin. At least that was my experience. However, a friend of mine told me that people with pale skin can have serious sunburns and that in some cases swelling can happen as a consequence of sunburns. Why do some people have these swelling reactions to sunburn?

Hi, sunburns can have very serious consequences. On more than one occasion my skin was affected by serious sunburns. I had fever and I was in a lot of pain, but I have never experienced swelling due to sunburn. But, a thing like this can happen in the hardest sunburn cases. You see ultraviolet lights that cause sunburns actually hurt our skin cells. Our immune system sees this as a threat and reacts. The swelling is one of the signs of inflammation. The mechanism of this immune system reaction is very complex. Basically, the swelling is caused by the release of water and healing molecules from the blood stream in the sunburned area. When the skin heals, the swelling will go away.

I recently got a sunburn on my legs and am experiencing a lot of swelling. I have very fair skin, but I have never noticed swelling any other time I have been burnt? :$

I have never experienced swelling from sunburn until now. My legs feel like heavy rocks. It is no fun.:'(

I have sunburns on my legs and face. Now my legs and forehead is swollen. :'( the pain

I got suburned on my legs and they are SOOO SWOLLEN & tight. I feel like I can't even bend down; feels like the skin is going to rip..Hurts like hell. OUCH! For my lunch Im going to buy some Aloe gel, ibrprophen & some good lotion. Last night I applied wet washclothes (use ice water) & t made them feel better.

My calf is super swollen from a sunburn.  First time it's ever happened to me & I've lived in Florida all my life (28 years).  Not fun!

I have that happening right now. I had very pale skin and was outside for to long. This has happened couples years before also. my legs, arms and face are very burnt... but only my face has swelling. The burn hurts but I don't feel any pain from the swelling. (i just look ridiculous) 

I got burnt three days ago and my tops of my feet got burnt as well and they are so swollen and tight.. I have never swelled from a sun burn before however i did burn quite badly this time.

Glad to see this..my legs have been swollen for 2 days from sunburn and I was getting concerned. The skin isn't as sore as it was but the swelling is still there....so if it's a sign of healing, I'm happy!

I went to itchitucnee with our youth group as a chaperone and floated in a raft....only the tops of my legs from my knees
down to my ankles got burned,  but really bad.  This is Sunday and I got sunburned 3 days ago...my legs are swollen and
they hurt when I try to walk...Been taking ibuprofen and used vinegar and water method...it has helped but it still hurts.
I have read alot on this and read that swelling is the healing part so I am toughing this out.....no more sunburn for me.....
my sister said get the lotion called "after sun lotion: by  Max Block.....she says its the best lotion ever.....I'm going to get
some today,  it just hurts to rub something on my legs.....Hope these tips help someone else.....Thanks.
Pauline

I've never ha swelling untill today where my eye is slowly swelling shut, and te other has been swollen shut through out the day already. Doctors said to take paracetamol and the swelling should go in a few days

I am glad to see all the these posts and now know that I am the not the only noticing these swelling problems related to sunburns.  I have recently, the last three days, burnt the area around  both ankles and noticed some heavy swelling.  I have previously had severe sports related sprained ankles and this swelling looks just as bad.  I hope it is simply a problem with the transfer of fluids throughout the body and not anything else more serious.  Time to drink some water religiously and see what happens.

I was relieved to see all of these posts. Burnt legs and my ankles and feet are 2 to 3 times their normal size, my ankles are abnormally tight. I was freaking out.  I am THANKFUL I am not the only one.

I am relieved to see all of these posts as I was starting to worry about my swolen legs due to the sunburn.

All self inflicted as I have fair skin and when down the beach in Doha - Qatar yesterday I didnt use any sun lotion which was a stupid idea and I am paying for it today.

Lastnight was a nightmare I could not stop shivering. A few blisters have started to come out on my face so I went to the Pharmacy today to purchase some Zovirax talblets and some Ibrobufen for the swelling on my legs.

Just cant wait until the end of the week where the pain should start easing off :-(

Note to self: Learn by your stupid mistake and allways cover up well with sun factor etc