I just quit smoking about 2 weeks ago. I am 9 days late. I didn't smoke that much a pack could last me for 3 days. I wanted to quit. So it didn't really bother me much. It doesn't stress me out that I quit smoking. I am happier not smoking. I tried smoking and it made me nauseous. Can it cause me to miss my period? I have taken 2 dollar general $1 tests that came out negative. But I don't trust their tests.

Hi did you get your period as I am a week late but giving up smoking about 2 weeks.

Thanks

Lisa

Hi Baby_Gurl
I am going through the same problem, only i am also on the birth control pill. But the same situation as you i missed my peroid. I quite smoking on Friday and was supost to start on Wed, and nothing Happened.

That is not abnormal--it is possible to skip your period because you were under stress or something like that. Let me know if and when you get your period, okay? I want to know you're okay :)

(READ THIS WHOLE THING) I was wondering why I missed my period. My period is VERY irregular but I did some research about smoking and irregular periods and smoking causes irregular periods. Hopefully now my periods will be normal and I can know when they are coming. I smoked for five years and I have quit smoking for a little over two months. I never post things on forums but when I was looking for information on quitting smoking and missing your period I found nothing closer than this site. Which wasn't much help at all. But finally I had my period like two minutes ago and I needed to post so other girls could read some information on somebody's experience!!!! SO! I quit smoking two months ago and I missed two periods and just today I am thankfully starting my period! SO I DO THINK THAT QUITTING SMOKING COULD MAKE YOU MISS A PERIOD OR TWO. IT HAPPENED TO ME! Another thing is that for the last month I have been so worried about missing my period, I took three tests all negative and I just thought wow I am preggers and I thought the tests weren't reading right! But I am not! So don't stress when you quit smoking about your period. OH some more info: When I quit smoking it helped to drink a lot of cola! Like three times a day. It replaced cravings from smoking to coke-a-cola! But now I don't need pop or cigerrets! Loves it!

REMINDER: QUITTING SMOKING MADE ME MISS MY PERIOD FOR TWO CYCLES! FINALLY GOT MINE ON MY THIRD MONTH!

GOOD LUCK GIRLS! RELAX AND ENJOY LIFE!

I am sooo glad I found this info. I too have been searching the web for an answer. I just turned 39 in dec and quit smoking (cold turkey) two months ago and still haven't got my period. Not on the pill, use other protection. I know I'm not pregnant. Haven't been stressed. Quitting smoking is the only thing different in my life, so I knew it had to be a side effect for quitting. Still wanted to make sure this was normal before waisting time at docs. Nice to have a break from it anyway. Enjoy it while you can girls XD

I am sooo relieved I found your posts as well:)) I am 28, quit smoking 1 1/2 months ago and I am late 15 days now. I quit cold turkey as well, used to smoke 1 pack a day. Since I'm sure I am not pregnant, it must be a side effect of quitting...

Alright so this topic has lead me to believe its a possibility my girlfriend isnt pregnant. its now day 7 shes late on her period. shes been trying to quit smoking. her last one was 4 days ago. last night she said she was spotting but it only lasted that few times and it hasnt happened since. and shes also saying she has leg pains but we dont know if that has to do with anything. if anyone could help that would be great. we are both freakin out here.

I quit smoking about a month ago, and my period is late this month. I'm honestly not sure how many days I'm late, it could be 7 or it could be just a few. There is a chance that I could be pregnant. I've taken 2 pregnancy test's and they both said negative, but I am still freaking out!!!! I wish there was more information out there about this subject! If anyone has found anything else PLEASE let me know! I'm cramping like I should be starting my period, I have the period #2's, my breasts are sore and I'm cramping in my back, all the things that I had when I got pregnant with my daughter. Although, I haven't been nauseous at all like I was when I was pregnant with my daughter. Hopefully I'll start soon, but I just wondered if quitting smoking had anything to do with missed periods?!?!?!?! I also haven't been drinking soda's any more either, I've replaced it with green tea. So I wonder if the total life-style change is what is causing this?!??!?!?!?!

I am 49 years old. I quit smoking 28 days ago. I have had my period for 28 years like clock work. I was to start 9 days ago and have only spotted. I am going to see my doctor about the change. I am very relieved to know this has happened to women of various ages that have quit smoking. I want to add I quit cold turkey maybe this is also a commonality.

I have read these posts, and it seems that almost everybody in here has quit smoking cold turkey and is late on their period too! I have been off of cigarettes for almost 3 weeks now and was supposed to start my period 4 days ago. I have had REALLY light spotting that only lasts once and then nothing for a couple of days then some more spotting. I don't believe I could be pregnant, as I have had tubal ligation surgery about 3 1/2 years ago, but anything is possible. I am going to buy a pregnancy test today, although it sounds from the other posts, it seems pointless!! I would rather be safe than sorry!! I also have had some other "side effects" that I thought I would mention for other girls out there: back cramps, constipation, diarrhea, hot flashes, claminess, shakiness, dizziness and a bloated feeling with wierd cramps.

i m 26 years old. i started smoking in 22. when i was 24 i stared problems of missed periods. then i had tests they were negative. then i used pills as doctor suggest me to use pills. she also said that the eggs in the ovary are not making.. so i used pills to make the periods normal..but these remained normal for 5 months and again i had the same problem of missed periods..due to this i finally quit smoking from a week. i want to know that can periods would come to normal condition as i have quit smoking.

I smoked for nearly 13 years before I finally quit 3 months ago (with the help of chantix/wellbutrin). I smoked nearly a pack a day at least the previous 5 years, and my body STILL hasn't adjusted to being a non-smoker. That first month without smoking, I was 3 1/2 weeks late for my period, i put on almost 10 lbs and my face was breaking out like i had just started puberty. The next month, I was still 2 weeks late from the previous alteration, i had gained another 10 lbs and my complexion was still horrid. Now going into month 3, my period is still not quite right, but getting closer, I've only managed to get rid of half the weight i put on, and my face may not be clear, but it's getting better. 3 months smoke-free and i'm still not completely leveled out. Does quitting smoking affect your menstruation cycle? You bet it does!! And in my case, being a 'heavy smoker' for such an extended amount of time, my period is just one from a loooong list of effects from quitting.

My doctor put it to me something like this: Quitting smoking is above and beyond, the best thing a smoker can do for their body. Unfortunately, you body is NOT going to agree with you right away. Cigarettes, as you know, contain nicotine. Nicotine is a stimulant. With prolonged use, your body makes the necessary adjustments to interpret the regular intake of nicotine as 'normal'. Someone who smokes a pack of cigarettes a day, is giving their body 20 stimulant doses a day. You spent the last, how many years, convincing your body that 20 daily doses of stimulation was normal, and now suddenly you've taken that away!! Metabolism plays a big role in your menstruation cycle, you slow or raise your metabolism and it's bound to effect your period in one way or another. As time goes by your body is going to accept these changes and once again establish (what she likes to refer to as) the 'new-normal'. The time frame is different for everyone and it just depends on how stubborn your body is. I've seen a 2 pack a day smoker fully adjust to not smoking in as little as 6 weeks, but then again i've seen a half a pack a day smoker take as long as 5 months. Your body is going to be just as stubborn as you are, if not more, so don't be shocked if it holds a grudge. Don't give up, you will find your new-normal and you are going to feel better than ever! {and now some irony} If you notice more changes that concern you, or if something just doesn't feel right... call the doctors office!!! I will talk to you or set an appointment for you, but don't go searching around the internet anymore trying to self-diagnose yourself! (like you are doing now if you are reading this, and like i had done a month ago, with no definite answers)

The only crappy part about this is that you can still get pregnant.

I have quit smoking twice in the last year.
The first time was a bit before last christmas, and i assumed (and doctor confirmed) no period was just a cause of quitting (with Zyban). That was fine. Until New Years came around and suddenly the pregnancy test came back positive. uh oh (had a miscarriage later due to family related issues)

I quit 45 days ago. Cold turkey. Now I am late. Problem is I stopped taking birth control as my fiance and I decided condoms would work fine (and we plan on trying in the next year and I've been on BC for 5 years... felt that it was time to give my body a hormonal break.. and maybe we're pushing our luck, but we are happy either way) So with not taking BC its pretty easy to forget when your period is. Since the first miscarriage (had a second in the summer.. that one was really rough. apparently I need to have 6 before they will give me the hormones i need. ugh bs! dont get me started how painful that is to hear!) my period has been all over the place. So its come as no suprise to me that I am late... the problem is that I dont know how late. And since my earlier problem with ending up preggers and thinking it was just becuase of quitting smoking im a bit paranoid.

So in conclusion. go see a doctor. It's not impossible to get pregnant after you quit smoking. besides that if you ARE pregnant, when your body is going through so many changes its not exactly the healthiest way to incubate a wee one. (and scares the c**p out of you)
so talk to your doctor.

I'm so glad I found this! I quit smoking, cold turkey, five weeks ago and I am just getting my period now: eight days late, even though it is always perfectly regular. Has anyone else's period gone back to normal the following month?