5 weeks ago I began to get a shooting pain from what seems like my clitoris or clitoral hood. It was intensified by walking, sitting, moving around, etc. After a week of it getting worse, I went to 2 different doctors (different days) - had 2 swabs and urine samples taken, both came back negative for a yeast infection and bladder infection.

Over the next week, the shooting pain gradually subsided and was replaced by a VERY swollen clitoris/hood (about 2-3x its normal size and swollen labia lips.

Over the next week, the shooting pain disappeared altogether, the swelling went down, and I got a brand new set of symptoms - burning in my vulva, labia lips, around the clitoral hood, etc. Went to visit doctor #3 and she said the area did look irritated, but she saw no signs of infection and suggested I change my soap incase I was having an allergic reaction.

Over the last week and a half, I cut out the soap entirely, and the burning became VERY bothersome and now my vulva and the area surrounding my clitoris/hood is VERY red and irritated. Went to doctor #4 who gave me a prescription for a cream mixture for hyderm (anti-inflammatory incase its an allergy reaction) and clotrimaderm (anti-fungal incase its a yeast, even though both my yeast tests came back negative). So far the prescription has done nothing to improve my situation and I'm at my wits end.

Any ideas what could be causing this? I'm in pain and frustrated.

This problems sounds quite similar to mine. About 10 months ago i had itching in the vulva and went to my doctor twice and was told it was yeast infection. However despite me using the treatment my problem was still there. About 5 weeks ago the itching/soreness got bad again and i used trimovate cream. But a month on i had really bad pain in my clitoris a few times and stopped using it. I get pain on my clitoral hood almost daily and sometimes my clitoris. I get 2 different types of pain, one is unprovoked and the other provoked ie. when i am walking or sitting/moving. I am also red down there and often it can feel inflammed. Things have never been the same since last year and i suspect i will have to go back to my doctor. It is very frustrating not knowing what this problem is, you have my sympathy.

Wow, I thought I was the only one in the world experiencing this. It's been just about a week and it almost feels like someone punched me there. It feels swollen and is irritated more when I walk, sit, stand. Warm baths seem to help a little. I haven't gone to the doctor yet, i am going to give it a few more days to see what happens. Ive been reading all sorts of web sites ands cant find anything with these symptoms.....Geez I hope it's not cancer.

oh, jeeze glad to know im not the only one. But im not sure i have the same symptoms entirely. It's only been 2/3 days but it feels like im dying. I first noticed when my cliterus became abnormally itchy (gross i'm sorry) so i itched it....alot. and apparently irritated the hell out of it because now its swollen, red, and inflamed. also my labia burns when touched. It hurts to walk and to sit down because my legs are either rubbing it when i walk, or the chair is touching it when i sit down. I'm having wierd discharge, not like yeast infection discharge (cottage cheese) but watery and the mucussy clump. I'm really curious as to know what is going on. I'm going to the doctor this week. If i hear anything that may purtain to those above i will repost with info.

Oh yeah! haha im glad to hear im not the only one! It's only been 2/3 days for me. But it feels like im dying:/. I first noticed my cliterus was abnormally itchy. So i itched it, alot. The next morning i wake up and see that my cliterus and labia are swollen twice my normal size. It itches again, but feels raw, and inflamed. It burnes to touch it. So that pretty much puts walking and sitting out of the picture. It's also very red. Nothing seems to help, i refrained from itching it, didn't do anything but bug me. I took a warm bath, also didn't do anything. It doesn't hurt or burn to pee. And my discharge doesn't smell. It's watery with the occasional clump of mucussy stuff similar of that to a booger. I can't stand this much longer and fear it will stay like this for quite some time. I'm going to the doctor this week, and if i find out anything that purtains to any of us, i will repost with some answers

Hi. After ruling out infections, stds and other serious conditions you might be experiencing something called Vulvodynia. This condition is a burning,irratated, stinging feeling in the vulva. I had it and I healed myself. I kept getting yeast infections too but not all women get that. Trust me I went to 6 "specialists" who did nothing but make it worse with drugs. I changed my diet. Yes you read right-what you eat affects your vagina. I stopped coffee, tea, and soda. i never drank alcohol but that is a big no no. I started drinking Evian water but have since discovered that some women can't tolerate that so they drink other alkalized water. I stopped eating sugar, fruits, vinegar, all processed pre-packaged foods, dairy except butter, molasses and honey. I ate tons of greens including spinach, broccoli, kale, swiss chard, lettuce, celery, cucumbers (they are the best for this) and string beans. I also ate limited protein like baked chicken, and fish. No tomatoes or peppers ever. Including table pepper-stay away from that. You need to bring your internal PH into balance. I was too acidic-you might be too. Stress relief is huge. I practice yoga. I drank 1/2 my body weight in ounces of water. You must journal everything you put in your mouth and write down how you react. I would also recommend PH stix that you can get online. You hold them under your urine and write down the reading. You want to be between 6.5-7.5 with your first morning urine. It took me a year to heal and I added back some foods. I also juice my veggies every morning b4 breakfast. Good luck. Laura

Hi, i am 17 years old and only had 1 sexual partner who is slighlty older than me, he has had 5 sexual partners. a few weeks ago i noticed my labia start to itch then my left side of the clitorus hood became inflamed and swollen to twice its normal size, the vulva also itched, and becomes irrating to cope with, i have tried vagisil as i thought it could be thrush and to ease the itching and it does for a while. does this sound familiar to anyone? i havnt been to the doctors yet as im quite embarrased to go and say whats up. does it sound like a infection?

Help would be much appriciated.

Hi. You probably should go to a doctor to rule out various infections or get medicine if is an infection. I am one for natural healing so if it is a yeast infection there are ways to treat it without Diflucan or other vaginal creams. Let me know it you are interested in a natural alternative. Laura

Many of you seem to have similar syptoms though diagnosis can be quite different and opinions of doctors based on these clear cut symptoms and lab results should seem consistent among doctors, especially obgyns. However, I have been struggling with my "down there" problems ever since I had an abnormal PAP resulting in colposcopy & LEEP procedures being done due to abnormal precancerous cell growth. I had no symptoms prior to this one abnormal exam. Odd, I know. I have had random symptomology never consistent with diagnosis given. I've been since treated for any infection under the sun, periodically (i.e. yeast, BV, UTI's and though STD testing came back negative, the anitbiotic "penis-tails" given was given to clear up anything." Symptoms come and go (e.g. frequent/urgent (I go more than I consume it seems! and I can't retain fluids well), and pain during urination at times. vagina and clitoral discharge, tenderness and swollen clitoris & surrounding area, engorged lympgy nodes in the groin area have also been issues. I have encountered several diagnosis & misdiagnosis and and following several swabs, labs, & ultra sounds later..It was discovered I have a stricture in my urethra (blockage or scar tissue caused possibly (though undetermined) due to past surgury or infection--e.g.UTI- specific to urethritis, which was never my diagnosis previously, instead I was told I had a bladder infection when labs came back from urinalysis. I was also sick at the time checked and dehydrated & though my symptoms were not there for a bladder infection, I was treated for it and also for yeast (there was no red- flag of the possibility of something else.) I still have not resolved this issue nor know what all is REALLY going on with me. Its been on and off symptoms and various creams and antibiotics for over 6 months now. I see a eurologist next month to run more tests and determine the next step. I have already been to a kidney dr., a family practitioner, and an obgyn all with different ideas. I feel very uncertain with my doctor's uncertainties! My advice to all is to get second opinions, and track your symptoms, don't research too much on the net. and don't just wait for it to go away, get checked!

Ladies - I just experienced my 2nd go-around with this un-nerving problem. What works? Soak your vaginal area in a "Domeboro" bath 3x a day. You can buy this product at CVS. (I guess Domeboro is like an epsom salt or sitz bath.) I am starting to think this problem was brought on by a urinary track infection and kidney infection. Maybe the Bactrum antibiotic I took was the culprit. My other thought is I tried a new brand of tampons 2 weeks ago. This problem has happened both times during the time I am ovulating. I hope this helps. I know its terrible. I'm also thinking the foods I am consuming might have something to do with this problem.

I constantly get the itching, swollen problems too. Bladder infections are a constant in my life, but they don't seem to have much to do with the itching "cycles". A few months ago, after my labia were extremely itchy one night, I woke up with one side of my labia swollen to about three times its normal size. I also had pain (when touched) on the skin located on the smooth vaginal skin between my labia and directly below my clit. (Direct pressure was the worst). The pain on that smooth skin located between my labia I've had many times, sometimes with itching, sometimes without (pain and/or itching come independent of each other too). I know that, for me, restrictive underwear sucks for itching, and making itching worse. Also, it seems like sometimes, with the painful touch thing, that it happens when my vagina is dryer than normal (caused probably by medication that I have to take). Anywho, I don't know what always causes the random itching or pain, or bladder infections, but I had a question for you ladies...

So, I am having some of the same, similar, symptoms right now, but this time I know what caused them. While I was walking around the other day, my thong somehow moved around- allowing one of my labia to stick out, and it ended up rubbing on the crotch of my pants while I walked- very uncomfortable, but I was in public, and had to be somewhere. The next morning, it hurt really bad when I wiped after using the restroom, so, I checked it out, and found two open cuts on the outer skin where my clitoral hood meets my labia- caused by the pant rubbing thing. Now, it's the third day since the pant thing, and the cuts are still there. If I touch them (or they get rubbed or something), they sting like crazy, but otherwise, the entire clitoris/labia around the cuts is now becoming super itchy, and the side with the cuts is beginning to swell. So, I'm pretty sure that my severely swollen labia from a few months ago was caused by me itching the area (although this doesn't explain why it was itchy to begin with).. but, my point... I have large labia, so it isn't hard for them to rub on things if the perfect situation presents itself (see: pant story.. lol). Of course it doesn't explain everything, but I'm just curious.. my question for you ladies is... Do any of you happen to have larger labia? Or do you happen to do things that might cause direct pain/friction to your labia (and/or clitoris/clitoril hood)?

Hi, I've just came home from riding my bike, when I was on my way back home, my vagina got really itchy, I thought yeah sure, just an itch, So I scratched it, not thinking anything of it. I've had 4 sexual partners. The last one I used a condom, and I seem to have an allergic reaction to latex Now I've only slept with him, three times so far. I don't think it's from him, though it could be cause of the condoms. We've used, Durex, lifestyles.
Ever since I got my first paps my vagina has been messed up, It hasn't been the same since then, It's always been a little bit swollen, But not like this, The clitoris area is like 3 times its size. *Left side* And the right side, is about 1/2 the size it normally is.
I've also be under a tonne of stress, I've been drinking more, I started smoking, Cigarettes, I've been stressed for so long now, Then this has to happen. What the heck. Did any of you get healed? I'm going to hopefully squeeze in to see my doctor in the morning. If he tells me what it is, and fixes my problem, I'll post what it is he gives me, and hopefully it'll work on all us. Cause I never knew that it could do this.It's going to be really uncomfortable to sleep tonight.
:'(

I suffer from similar symptoms. I use to get things that almost looked like cuts after walking, i was assuming it was from being very dry and chapped down there after wiping a lot from a UTI. I had one recently and then took the Diflucan for the Yeast Infection as I assumed it was, what it was. I am not sure I am swollen above the clit, where my hood was pierced before, but that has nothing to do with it. There are no bumps or anything to suggest an STD plus I've asked friends with them to make sure the symptoms aren't the same, and theyre not. I have been using Vagicaine which is similiar to Vagisil with no help. What helps me to prevent this from happening since it happens to me esp in the winter and when I get the UTIs is to use a lotion that's appropriate to down there IE A&D Or a Femine Care Wash, and then when I get the symptoms I tend to use the shower head to wash on warm, and after I use COLD, COLD water and that helps and when the flare happens I use an ICE CUBE. It really, really makes a HUGE Difference. Has anyone else used Ice before? It does help a lot! But I just wonder what causes this, it's scary to think cuz it's down there but I know it can't be an STD either I get paps and have been to the dr and only had one partner ever and he has only been with me too...

If the matter has not already been resolved ... i have had this over and over to me since i was 13 (virgin). Ive been to countless amount of doctors... has countless internal inspections (LOVEEELYYY!!)... been fingered by enough nurses to know how you are feeling!! ....

Eating live yoghurt .... if not only just as a placebo ... it worked of me ... and tasted pretty good too!!

Acidopholous - can buy it from holland and barrots .... cheep as chips and really quite affective... they do various different flavours now... all this high tech stuff :O

Cider Vinager.... Sometimes if your feeling in pain it really helps to have a shallow bath ... about 5pts water 1pt cider vinegar... easy to find in most supermarkets! I dont really know what it does but its blooming magic !!!

If you are sore or feeling 'raw' on your vulva/clitorous or anywhere ... i suggest sudacrem ... its like the most amazing cream ever !!

OHH ALSO ... nearrly forgot ?!?!
CRANBERRY JUICE IS AMAZING !!!!!!!!!!
fixes that up in a jiffeey !

i really hope this helps !!

Vic x :-D

I am too going through the symptoms people have mentioned, its so horrible. Ive tried warm salt baths, creams and tablets for yeast infections! Nothing seems to work, I cant cope with this pain, anybody got any tips for relieving them? It burns when i pee so i avoid going which hurts as well, its swollen down there and tender to touch when applying my creams.

HELP!