Five days ago (Sunday afternoon) I noticed that my foreskin was sticking a lot to the glans. I wasn't particularly concerned as this has happened occasionally in the past (I'm not circumcised). However, by the time I went to bed the foreskin was noticeably red, swollen and very tender (again, it's been like this rarely in the past, but never has it happened so fast or been so red and swollen).

In the morning it was if anything a little worse, but in the afternoon had eased off a little. Over the following days it has eased off considerably BUT the very tip of the penis and the frenulum (frenum?) is still a little red and tender/slightly sore, most noticeable when I'm sitting down.

There's no discharge, no burning on urination, etc (although urinating does temporarily slightly irritate the aforementioned red/tender areas). The foreskin is still sticking a little to the glans though (ie both surfaces seem a little dry) and I'm getting a bit of smegma building up every day - not a lot, just a light 'powdering', but more than I'm used to. Or is this all part of the healing process?

I'm guessing that this isn't a sexually transmitted disease, more likely some allergic reaction (I used a different shampoo while having a bath on the day that this started, so am thinking that this is maybe the cause, ie effectively a different 'soap' in the bath-water that irritated the penis while I was having a good soak).

I practice good hygiene in this area and am giving the tip of the penis a few splashes of warm water after urinating (although I'm avoiding pulling back the foreskin too often as I don't want to cause extra irritation - I do though wash under it thoroughly *once* a day and gently wash away any smegma).

Should I expect the improvement to continue (seemingly very slowly!)?

Thanks

Are you sure that some smegma hasn’t accumulated under the foreskin causing the redness and tenderness? It does sound like some kind of infection or irritation.

One would think that it could be a reaction to a new soap but it usually just burns a little bit, it doesn’t get all swollen and red. To me it sounds like a fungus or bacteria infection but usually these infections make you itch or burn or discharge.

Foreskin sticks to the glans when smegma has accumulated and dried down under. Then it is much harder for it to be retracted. But if you clean it every day, then it would hardly get stuck.

Your symptoms and your actions are contradictory, so it is really hard to make a suggestion. If you are still experiencing the problem, I would suggest you saw an urologist and had it checked.

Help. This has been going on far too long now! I think i have a problem. my foreskin is quite red in places and has tiny yellowish spots on it. I try to wash it as frequently as i can, but it still wont go! It isn't irritating in anyway or sore, it just looks really bad and i think i need help.

im having the same problem too, except my penis gives me discomfort and sumtimes it stings while i urinate especialy after sex or masterbtion. would any1 b able 2 help me with this poblem?
i havn't been 2 a doctor due 2 embarresment.

A red penis and the swelling you described can be the result of sensitivities to chemical agents, psoriasis, dermatitis, or balanitis, a problem that affects circumcised men. Vitamins A, E, and D may help you, the vitamins softening, repairing, and moisturizing penile skin, as well as eliminating bacteria in the genital region. Appling a topical penis cream or moisturizer (many health care professionals recommend Man 1Man Oil) with the vitamins mentioned above may heal your penis. I have pals who have benefited from penis creams. Hope this helps you out!

I feel like I have the same thing. I'm 15 and have recently had unprotected sex with my girlfriend who I've been with for over 10 months.. In the last few days I've felt and itching irritation on what I first thought was the head of my penis but with a closer look it shows that the redness is on the foreskin aswell and the head of the penis in some parts.. I've tried ignoring it but its too bad.. I have a white.. Cheese like .. Residue appearing under the foreskin more thn usual .. I was told to apply sudocreme to sooth the itch and it worked for the first day but now I'm worried its something more than a typical redness.. Is there anything I could do to stop this as I can't tell my parents I've had unprotected sex

You most likely have a yeast infection, or possibly balanitis. You can clear this up by using a topical antifungal cream (monistat, which is sold for female yeast infection,  will also work  for men) and also keeping it clean, as you have been doing. Once the infection has cleared up, you can help to prevent a recurrence by applying a penis health cream (health professionals recommend  Man1 Man  Oil) on a daily basis to condition and moisturize the skin.