Hi, i was hoping someone could give me some advice. I was diagnosed with having a yeast infection last week and was prescribed the Diflucan 1x pill. My husband and I refrained from sexual intercourse for five days until everything appeared back to normal. When we finally had intercourse today, afterwards my vulva appeared swollen and felt like it was on fire (red and burned). After many cold water compresses it has started to feel better but it is still not 100%. does this mean the yeast infection is back and I should take the Diflucan again? I also have included yogurt and acidopholus pills in my diet to try to regulate the flora in my body. And I have lowered the sugar and caffine intake as well. What is this swollen vulva situation about???

thanks for reading }-:

I have had the same problem! First I had a UTI, then I had a yeast infection, and now I seem to have a swollen vulva. I have been put on a cream to help, but it doesn't work all that well. I am going to call my doctor again tomorrow, but I've been having issues with all of this stuff for about a month! If yours has cleared up please let me know what you did!!

how did you guys get rid of your swollen vulva?? i have a severe yeast infection, the 2nd one in 2 months, and now not only is the itching bad but i can barely walk because its so swollen down there....

and of course, my doc hasnt gotten back to me,,

any advice???????? :'(

did any of you get a response?

I have the same problem! I started to get yeast infection earlier in the week and thought it was gone, but it wasn't and I have tried several things and it'll feel better and then during and after intercourse it starts swelling and burning, and last night my vulva became so swollen and hard that I had to use ice to get the swelling down... when will this go away?

I am having the same type of problem and searched online and think it may be Candidiasis, but i still need to go to the doctor to find out

Had any one gotten any replies? I am having the same issues I am on an antibiotic and knew the yeast infection was coming but what I didn't expect was to be tender, burning and swollen after I applied the vagi-stat 1 day when I wokeup. How long does this generally last? I'm dieing here.

I have been having the same issues. It all started when I took antibiotics last May. I realized I had a problem after I had sex around that time. I became so swollen I barely recognized myself down there. Before then I had a beautiful area down there. Now I am all stretched out and embarrassed to have sex. I have had sex 4 times and each time I get rediculously swollen! The swelling is mostly on the left side???
The doctors keep telling me that I have a reocurring yeast infection but nothing seems to be working. I've tried the medications prescribed and I only get temporary relief!! Right now I am trying Boric acid suppositories and eating yogurt. I just started the pills yesterday and they do give relief but I am still irritated down there.
I am seeing someone new and I dont know how long I can out off sex? I dont want to scare him off by saying anything.
How can I get rid of this problem? Could it be something else?/

Have there been any replies? I am 45 and have seen my share of yeast infections. I have never had this swollen, hard, hard, painful buring vulva thing and am wondering what could it be (I am very afraid of it coming back). I can get irritated by certain pads (no perfumes aloud) so while I was using an unsented pad I thought perhaps the pad had something to do with the symptoms. If anyone found out any information from their gyno please pass it on. I have been able to control the symptoms with otc yeast infection med but like I said, I am very afraid of it coming back.

Thanks!

Vaginitis can be caused by many things, often there's a combination of problems. For those of you who have been treated for yeast infection, a second problem could have been present, or caused by the sudden loss of yeast... thats bacterial vaginitis..(not necessarily exactly the same symptoms) bacterial vaginitis is cause by unbalances in the vaginal flora aswell. It's more common than yeast vaginitis (thrush) but requires an antibiotic gel or pill to cure, for example: a 0.75% metronidazole vaginal gel or oral metronidazole treatment. (metronidazole is an antibiotic) other products include RePhresh, boric acid, or Lactobacillus Acidophilus capsules. If you go to the doctor they will be able to prescribe antibiotics as well, and you have the advantage of finding out if it's actually due to something else.

I have been having the same problems with a yeast infection after a course of antibiotics. After feeling like I was carrying a grapefruit down there my doctor finally took me off all the creams and inserts that were conazole based. (Like Monistat, anything that ends in "zole") She gave me Nystatin cream instead. The itching has not gone away yet but the swelling was gone within 48 hours and I no longer have to ice myself down before I pee. I had used Monistat and the like before and never had a problem but she said people's bodies change over time. I took 6 regular courses of Diflucan and now I am taking it every day instead of once every 3 days (Doctor prescribed 100 mg tablets.) Slowly (painfully slow!) it seems to be working. I am also taking Acidophilus supplements, cutting out all sugar, and using about a tube of Vagisil Maximum Strength every day for the pain and itch. Also, things like ibuprofen can actually strengthen yeast so stay away from NSAIDs for pain relief. Here's hoping for a full recovery for us all.

I had be having a similar problem since the beginning of April. My vulva was so swollen it was uncomfortable to walk the itching was unbearable and I started to have a discharge. I was tested at the doctors and also at the GUM clinic and nothing was found and then I was referred to a specialist who again came up with nothing and suggested that I had vulval vestibulitis. Still not happy, and quite distraught with the diagnosis I again went to the GUM clinic. The whole thing had been going on for such a long time and was affecting my life, I used to cycle to work and go to the gym 3 times a week and it was so uncomfortable I just couldn't do it. I also felt so unattractive that I stopped going out unless really necessary. Again I was tested for everything and was told that I had Trichomonas Vaginalis. I never thought I would be happy to be told I had an STI but believe me it was such a relief! TV may only show symptoms in 50% of women and in fewer men, it is also very difficult to detect. It's a bit of double edged sword for all of us but I'm kind of glad I had the symptoms now as I know that there is a cure and that I am going to be rid of it. For those of you that are really desparate please go and ask at a clinic just to be sure I can't tell you how relieved I was with the diagonisis. I'm 4 days into my treatment of antibiotics and nearly all the symptoms have cleared up. I'm also back on my bike!

I have had similar swelling problems. About a year ago I got what I thought was a yeast infection with a swollen vulva so I went to the Ob/gyn. Before this I had never had swelling or anything like that with a yeast infection. I was swollen soooo bad it hurt to sit down, get up, walk, pretty much do anything. I was treated with the diflucan and given a cream to use for a week. About a month later it came back..swelling and everything, so I made another friendly doctors visit. This time it was a bacterial infection. I was treated with antibiotics and give this gel to use for 2 weeks. Each month thereafter was a repeat occurance of one or the other. One day, while on my monthly inconvenience, I was in the bathroom changing my pad and noticed some sort of fragrance as I was opening the pad. So when I got home, I checked the package and the same products I had been using for years added a new odorfighting agent. However it said nothing of fragrance on the package. Well I quit using them immediately...and bought Kotex unscented pads. The problem went away. I was sooo relieved having finally figured out the problem. Since then I haven't had as many infections but I do seem to get them more frequently since the "Pad incident of 2007" and ever since then my vulva on one side or the other swells. I went to the Ob/gyn today for what I thought was once again a yeast infection. She checked out my vulva and it was swollen...with what appeared to be almost like a pimple she told me. She said the pores down there can get clogged just like anywhere else...and that it's actually very common. So she squeezed the heck out of it and got most of the puss out (which as I'm sure you figured hurt like heck) and she told me I should get a shower and try to squeeze it again later. She did the swab and looked under the microscope and there was no yeast present but from the overuse of the products I now have no good bacteria present at all. She asked if I had been tested for Diabetes...which I had been, but it was in 2006. So one more test to take I guess. So I'm supposed to only use pads...which I've always done, and not wear any underwear, just loose fitting pants or shorts to bed to let things calm down. So basically I'm back to square one...A new and different reason for the swelling on any given day I guess. She told me that if I get another infection next month that I should just take the diflucan and not use any creams..so I can keep some of the good bacteria. She recommended a specialist if I keep having this problem. I hope that all of this goes away and I hope any of this at least makes someone feel better in the sense that they're not alone. I'm 25 and married and I never thought I could have these kinds of problems. Vulva wasn't even a word in my vocabulary until last year. I don't use fragranced anything...laundry detergent, dryer sheets, body wash, deodorant, feminine products, perfumes, lotions...nothing. I eat yogurt every day, and drink cranberry juice. Good luck to all of you. I hope your problems go away.

I hate to ask this question...but what did the swollen area look like? Mine is scaring the bejesus out of me. It just happened over night. It is so swollen I can't tell what is where. I am pretty sure I have an inflammed case of a yeast infection. I was on anti-biotics for two weeks straight..I rarely get yeast infections...but found the itching and burning began at the same time as the prescription. I am not sexually active. I took an over the counter medication for the infection..but today I nearly freaked out when I was about to put a topical cream on the itching. the whole area was so swollen and as someone else mentioned I did not recognize it. I am off to the gyno tomorrow.
Thanks

I had the same after using Monistat 1 ovule. I was so itchy and burny that I was in tears. It turned out to be contact dermatitis caused by the Monistat. Cortisone cream used externally helped a lot, and boric acid suppositories with calendula helped soothe.

I'll never use those medications again.