Hello. I have a friend and she has a problem with her cat. She keeps calling me to help her, but honestly I don’t know what to do. I know a lot about animals, I own many pets and I’m especially good with cats, but I’m not a vet. She says that she thinks that her cat is having symptoms of renal failure, she found it on the internet. I keep telling her to take her cat to the vet, but she refuses unless I come with her. I probably will go with her tomorrow or the day after that, but just to make sure she is not exaggerating, can someone tell me what are the symptoms of renal failure in cats?

Hey Ruby,

Renal failure can be really nasty if not treated on time. It has five stages, and it is best treated while it’s in the first two stages. Later, there are small chances of successfully treating it.

There are a lot of symptoms of renal failure that you can’t really miss. The cat with renal failure will urinate less often. Her legs are going to swell a lot, it won’t be hard to notice. She’ll have shortness of breath, fatigue, confusion.

In some really serious cases, your cat can have seizures, like the ones that cats with epilepsy have. In the worst case, she can fall into coma.

Hey guys,

Dalmatian lover is right, she needs to take her cat to the vet as soon as possible. You really need to go with her if that is the only way to make her go.

Renal failure can be, and in a lot of cases is deadly. You can notice that the cat has it by her change in behavior. She is going to urinate a lot less, she’s going to swell a lot, and she might lose her conscious from time to time.

Your friend needs to start with the treatment as soon as possible, if it turns out that her cat has renal failure.

visible.

Here we go:

• Your cat is losing her weight,
  • She is not eating a lot, she doesn’t have appetite,
  • She has really dry coat,
  • You can see the discoloration on her tongue and gums,
  • She is having really bad breath,
  • Vomiting,
  • Diarrhea,
  • Anemia.

My ex – boyfriend had cat with all those symptoms but she was thinking that this is because of the spring. Very silly.

After this it happened something that he wasn’t expected, but I did. Coma occurs.

She died very soon.

React soon as you see the symptoms.

Hello. The symptoms are there as you can see People already told you a lot about symptoms. Now you need to see are those symptoms something that your cat has or not. But some other symptoms of renal failure can include increased thirst and urination. Also it can include leaking urine – which can happen especially in the night, diarrhea, vomiting, lack of appetite, weight loss, depression, anemia, body weakness etc. There are some other symptoms but they are not that often, such as blindness, very itchy skin, etc. Of course there are some symptoms  that you can notice at all and that is why you need to visit the ve.

Hey there.
Unfortunately my cat (he is 7 months old) is diagnosed with renal failure :/ You have no idea how sad I am because this is really young cat and she was diagnosed with so ugly disease.
I didn’t notice this, because he didn’t have any so visible symptoms.
He was sick all the time but some tests that my vet did were just fine. I don’t know how.
She was drinking a lot, she was peeing a lot and that was surprising for me. That is why I was visiting the vet all the time.
One older vet told me that I should come to see him. He did some tests and my cat had renal failure. He told me that this is very weird because they youngest cat with this problem was three years old.

Hey, I think that you haven’t mention all the symptoms of renal failure in cats. Whenever you notice some symptoms you need to visit the vet because this is really serious condition in cat.

Symptoms like anorexia, depression, vomiting, decreased urination, bad breath, weakness, lethargy, loss of coordination and seizures are just some of the symptoms of this disease.

It is very important to find the proper treatment because kidneys help control blood pressure by realizing enzyme renin. When blood pressure drops and kidney’s don’t receive enough blood renin is released. In this case kidneys do not work properly. It is serious.

Hey guys,

Ruby, first of all, you have two types of renal failure: you have acute renal failure which occurs suddenly and can be treated. On the other hand, you have chronic renal failure which occurs over a course of months or even years and is not treatable. Chronic renal failure is barely noticeable, it gets easy to spot only when it get to a late stage.

Others already told you about the symptoms, so I’ll repeat what you already read in the posts above: your cat won’t eat almost anything, she is going to suddenly lose her weight, she’ll be vomiting, she’ll have diarrhea and she might seem to not have the will for living.

Hi everybody,
My cat had chronic renal failure. I had no idea how or why did this happen and neither did my vet. He told me that unlike acute renal failure, chronic renal failure takes a really long time to damage the kidneys and is noticeable when it has already progressed a lot. Basically, chronic renal failure is very slowly damaging the kidneys over the course of years and in the end, they just shut down.
My cat just suddenly stopped eating. I used to go put new food for her and find all of the old food untouched. I took her to the vet for that and the results showed renal failure.